Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprinting page

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I'm really lazy about sprinting. I just don't like it. I like to walk, and I like to run, but I don't care to sprint. Maybe it's because I don't feel like I'm good at it.

It's hard to sprint on a treadmill, but we get awful winters here in NY, and I want to get pretty good at handling a sprint on a treadmill before winter hits. It's pretty much impossible to do tabata sprints so I have to sort of improvise.

What's a good duration for a sprint? Is a minute too long? If I can run full on for a minute, how long should I walk before sprinting again?

I would love ideas and suggestions. Currently I'm doing tabatas on the bike at the gym but I'd prefer to use a treadmill. It's more like a real workout.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I'm not convinced it's possible to do real sprints on a treadmill. Even with my short little legs, I doubt that it has the room for me to break into a full running stride.

Doesn't your gym have a real gymnasium/basketball court? If so, run from one side to the middle and back, then to the far wall and back. I've never timed it, but I'm pretty sure it's less than half a minute, and there's no way I can keep up that pace for a full minute. I gasp for air for about a minute, then I do it again, usually four times, interspersed with push-ups.

It is easy to get lazy with it when you're by yourself, which is why I always nab somebody standing around the weight room to do it with me.

No, unfortunately my gym is a tiny store-front sort of setup. A row of treadmills in the front, followed by a row of bikes. Behind that the weight machines, and the free weights along the wall.

I actually prefer to work out by myself. My gym seems to attract a lot of odd people (what does that say about me?) and lately has been over-run by a flakey girl bootcamp class. Ugh.

I can break into a great run on the treadmill. I did it every day for months until I went primal. I have a great sprint speed but I have no idea what sort of timing I should be aiming for, if not doing tabatas.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Don't some people do burpees in a tabata fashion too? Those things suck. In a good way, but still. I heard someone say once that you can program most treadmills with two speeds, one for sprint and one for recovery and just toggle with one push of a button. Maybe the people that work there will know???

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

maurile is offline Senior Member

The top sprinters in the world can sprint for about 20 seconds -- that's how long it takes them to cover 200 meters, which is about as far as anyone can do an all-out sprint. (In fact, pretty much everyone slows down after about 60 meters. Carl Lewis always looked like he was accelerating at the end of a 100m race, but he was just slowing down less than his opponents were.)

I've never tried sprinting on a treadmill, but I share dragonmamma's skepticism that it can be done at all.

I don't think there's any single right answer regarding how long you should rest/walk in between sprints. Just until you've recovered to semi-normal breathing, however long that is.

Hmm... good idea. I'll have to ask.

Clint is offline Senior Member

While an all out sprint is not possible on a treadmill, a good clip is possible.

When I first started working out seriously several years ago, I would do 1 minute at the treadmill's top speed and 1 minute brisk walk. I would do 8-10 of those as a workout. I lost about 15 lbs doing that 2-3 times a week along with a modification of diet. (There was no Primal Blueprint then!)

To echo what Hannah said, when there's inclement weather, I will substitute burpees instead of sprints. Instead of 5-8 100 meter sprints, I'll do 5-8 sets of 12-15 burpees. Believe me, that will tax your @$$ just as badly as sprints!

Just some thoughts.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

I think Mark had wrote a post about the beauty of "sprinting"...In general, it can be done virtually anywhere doing anything. You could even do "sprinting" with jumping jacks. As long as you're giving it your all for a short period of time followed by a short recovery, I would personally consider that the equivalance of what's going on with a typical run sprint, right?

I'd listen to your body to see what your ideal "sprinting" time should be. Just make sure you're working HARD for most of your workout, without letting your heart rate drop too low, and I think you'll be pretty set. :-)

Mr B Guest

has there been any info posted on how to build up to actual sprints?

i included those in my workouts several years ago, and would like to do so again, but i'm literally so outta shape right now i'd probably do myself more harm than good by doing them.

claude512 is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

how about using the bike? Normally these do have a switch for a set of resistance that you can switch easily...

Other than that, I do just what works on a given day, burpees, jumping jacks etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast