Thread: Desert Survival Hike - What food to pack? page

PrimalNumbers is offline Junior Member

Desert Survival Hike - What food to pack?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm going on a desert survival hike this Friday with my church's scout troop, and I'm looking for primal foods to take. I'm going to start my first homemade jerky today (going to the store for meat as soon as I post this). So, I have that.

I'd like to do pemmican, but I don't have the time and would like to test making the jerky first.

This being a desert hike, I won't be using water to prepare food, and anything that can't stand sustained temps upwards of 110 degrees Fahrenheit is right out. (NO CHOCOLATE! as the trip leader says. Haha.)

Here's my list of ideas so far from searching the forums and such:
    Homemade beef jerky
    nuts
    dried fruits (I've seen dried cranberries are said to be particularly good)
    canned tuna

From this list, it looks like I might want more fat for energy, but I'm not sure what to do for that.

Also, as far as nuts go, what are good types of nuts that I can get in a typical grocery store? I've seen macadamia nuts suggested a lot, but I don't live next to someone with a grove anymore, so I'm concerned regarding the expense as well. Then again, I can splurge for a trip, especially for my health. =) I figure that I can mix whatever nuts into a kind of trailmix. Since I don't have much time, I need to be able to source things from grocery stores.

Finally, I don't have a good idea what amounts of all the above I should carry. I will definitely carry extra if I'm unsure. I'm 6'4", a very lean ~210 lbs, and 20 yrs old with a high metabolism. I'd also like to carry a little extra food (particularly jerky) for others to try/in case of any issues.

If worst comes to worst, and I don't think I have a suitable primal diet, I'll add some overstuffed meat ravioli or canned chili.

For any concerned about safety: The trip leader has years of experience leading such trips and military desert survival training with both USAF and Australian SAS, and everyone's an experienced hiker.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Edit: I forgot to mention the hike details. We're hiking in Friday night, spending the day in caves and outside looking for fossils, and hiking back out at night.
    Last edited by PrimalNumbers; 08-17-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    precooked bacon, smoked salmon, primal energy bars...

tbow is offline Member
    If you have the grinder, and materials, you could make a smoked trail sausage that should hold up fairly well. Smoked meats are a great option, as Grol mentioned. You could also make a decent high-fat, high-protein bar, using almond/macadamia nut meal as your base and loading it up with seeds and dried fruit. Flax seeds actually make an excellent cracker when used whole. There's a brand out there that is just flax seeds - it's freaky looking, but delicious. (Actually, I don't know if flax seeds are on the "go to" list, so if I'm out of line on that one, please, someone let me know.)

Sounds like a fantastic hike! I miss desert hiking.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    You don't say how long the hike is. If it is long, you may need to be concerned about getting plenty to eat. If it is fairly short, maybe not a big issue for one day.

I say splurge on the macadamias! Enough for one day won't break the bank.

tbow is offline Member
    How was the hike? What did you end up taking?
    ~ Loving the good life, built the way we want it. ~

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Dehydrated water since it's lighter than liquid water.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    A Survivor Hike: Take all of the equipment that will fit in your pockets with some extra things in a 35mm film canister. Actually, what is in your pockets is cheating. Your food and drink is waiting for you when you get there.

A Picnic: Take whatever you want and can get someone to carry for you.

The dehydrated water if mandatory.