Thread: Calcium, magnesium, vitamin K2 page

Annika is offline Senior Member

Calcium, magnesium, vitamin K2

Shop Now
    I'm tweaking my supplement routine and wondering whether I should add vitamin K2. As far as dietary sources go, I eat lots of eggs and a fair amount of grass-fed beef and (mostly) grass-fed cream, but no liver and hardly any butter. Am I getting enough K2 from my diet, or should I add a supplement? If so, how much?

I'm taking 3000 units of D, 333 mg calcium, and will start 400 mg magnesium soon. This is a change from my former regimen of 666 mg calcium combined with 266 mg magnesium. Information I've been reading recently has convinced me to reduce my calcium and up my magnesium. Also, I've read conflicting information about whether to take calcium and magnesium together (as I have always done) or to take them at separate times. Thoughts?

I've been getting lots of my information from the fabulous Cillakat, who seems exceedingly well informed when it comes to supplementation. Hopefully she will chime in!
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    After reading I think it was whole health source, and some accompanying pubmed abstracts, we've added K2 into our supplement regime. I'm using the Carlson's high dose, but taking it only once a week or so (this is the most cost effective). Too early to tell if it is helpful, but the evidence on how it helps to prevent calcium deposits seems robust. Aside from a multivitamin, I am only supplementing D3, K2, fish oil, magnesium, and occasionally zinc.

I should probably have said that I'm also taking a multivitamin, vitamin C, fish oil, and glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM. Most of these are cheap drug store vitamins, but I will be ordering better ones from iHerb.com.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I would say that K2 is a smart choice. One of the few vitamins that I like to supplement with. You might re-think the vitamin C since antioxidant supplements (or at least c and e) tend to block some of the benefits of exercise http://www.pnas.org/content/106/21/8665.long

Exercise is all about doing a lot of oxidative stress to oneself, but the benefits far out-weight the negatives so long as it isn't chronic cardio. But we have to actually do the oxidative stress first. There is nothing in the supplement that can't be found in some vegetables.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Bump..... Thanks for those replies. Any more advice?

sebzzz is offline Member
    I take high vitamin butter oil for K2 and butyric acid. Here are great articles from Stephan from whole health source about it:

K2
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...none-mk-4.html

Butyric acid:
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...roller-of.html

Eating primal, I don't see any reason to supplement calcium if you don't have a specific condition that calls for it. Getting enough vitamin A, D and K2 is much more important.
    Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.