Page 136 of 239 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186236 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 2389

Thread: COUNTDOWN TO LOIN CLOTH - TAWFunGuy's Primal Journal page 136

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Remember to let it age a little before you start freezing.

Don't ask me how long, or even how. I just know the guys who let things sit around for a seemingly appalling amount of time have by far the best results when I get my freebies!

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvalab View Post
    Remember to let it age a little before you start freezing.

Don't ask me how long, or even how. I just know the guys who let things sit around for a seemingly appalling amount of time have by far the best results when I get my freebies!
    My husband just returned from his moose hunting trip on Friday. They shot a moose (I'm not sure what day, they were gone fir 10 days) and they are letting it hang until this coming weekend.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    People around here age the whole moose carcass for 7 - 8 hours before they skin it, then they let it hang for 40 - 60 degree days (not sure about the translation here). So, let's say it is 4 degrees C where the carcass is stored, the carcass hangs for 10 days before it is parted. However, the first 24 hours the carcass shouldn't be stored in less than 10 degrees C so rigor mortis can set in properly.

Hanging this long for small game (such as deer or calf of moose) might be problematic though, because the meat may dry out, and in these cases one can consider letting it age with the skin on.

I am no expert though, and I am just referring to what I've been told from the hunters around here.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

TAWFUNGUY is offline Senior Member
    Awesome everyone! I love all the input!!!!

We gutted and skinned it within an hour of me taking it down..... then it has been hanging up in int the barn since Thursday night in 50-64 degree weather. However, on the second day we wrapped it in a game bag and have been letting it hang to "cure" (skin over) and from what I learned, letting it them hang for a few days reduces the "gaminess" of it out. So total time to "age" will be 3 1/2 days.

When I go to make my ground venison and venison sausage, I will be mixing in about 10%-12% beef fat to counteract any dryness that may come from the hanging process.

And if worse comes to worse.... I will wrap it in bacon! hahahahahah

!!!
    So, later this afternoon when our event is over is when I will be taught how to butcher it...... oh yeah... this will be a blast!!!!

Again, thanks everyone!!!
    Last edited by TAWFUNGUY; 10-24-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Signature Approved by Mark Sisson

mandabear2010 is offline Senior Member
    Glad you are having a good time TFG!!!

I miss you!
    LOL

I just caught up after not really reading your journal for like 5 days... holy shit! Did you ever find prince of persia?

Anywho-you and I should talk again soon... I feel like it has been ages... has it?
    Live Like No One Else

http://primalterp.blogspot.com/

Hey there Manda! Miss ya too!

No, I have not found it as of yet... still looking. But gotta process the deer meat first today! Hope to chat soon!

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    cant wait to see how you prepare some of that deer meat. I made your bacon wrapped boobies tonight. A+++!!!! thanks!

Thanks 216!!! Oh wow! Did you take pics of your meat boobs? I am sooooo stoked that so many have tried that recipe and liked it! As I prepare the deer meat, I will take some pics and post them up! Thanks again!

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TAWFUNGUY View Post
    Did you take pics of your meat boobs?
    of course!

you know where to find em

Checked them out.... LOOKED AWESOME! Way to go and glad the recipes worked for you!