Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun Damage page

lcme is offline Senior Member

Sun Damage

Primal Fuel
    I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on enjoying the sun without burning, the primal diet and sun damage. I like to hope that those following a primal diet are not as affected in negative ways by the sun. Is there any basis for that thinking?

The reason I'm asking is that I am only 24 and notice new "freckles" every year, which are essentially sun damage. I have never spent a lot of time in the sun in my life and it is only after finding MDA that I gave up on the stupidity of SPF 60.

Any thoughts on primal eating and sun-related aging or cancer?
    Last edited by lcme; 08-17-2010 at 06:53 AM. Reason: speeling

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I burn less easily now, and when I do, it hurts far less and is gone much sooner. I believe, but haven't yet proven, that I can stay out longer before I burn. I also am starting to get a physical feeling, a signal of some kind, that I've reached the amount of sun my skin can stand at that time.

I use extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil (SPF 2-4 = it doubles to quadruples your natural time without burning). It takes a good bit more thinking to use than sunscreen, but since sunscreen takes away your damage warning system (sunburn) without actually taking away the damage, what's the point in using the commercial stuff?

There's a good bit on my blog about sunscreen and its pointlessness (and indeed, how it increases sun damage by increasing the amount of time spent in the sun beyond our natural ability to withstand it).
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Oh, on aging - check out the pictures on the cover of Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, if you get a chance. There is a 90 year old woman on the cover who spent her whole life on a tropical island in the sun, who has almost no wrinkles at all. Most of the elderly folks in the book are like that.

Is it the bad oils, or insufficient good oils we eat, that cause our wrinkliness? Don't know yet.

Here ya go, click on the cover - she's second from the left. Compare that to the typical nonogenarian of today.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure if it's because i'm older and have changed in some way, but i just don't get sunburned anymore, and the only difference between this summer and last summer is the PB. in fact, i spend way more time outdoors this summer than last.
    Primal eating does help quite a bit. you get sunburned when you've spent too much time in the sun and your body is done absorbing it for vitamin D, but as i understand it cholesterol is what converts that sunlight...so the meat and eggs we consume help make the sun useful rather than harmful.

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member
    Its the fat. The fat makes your skin safer I think... I'm not a doctor and can't prove it, but thats what I think anyway.

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member
    I don't know how people are having such a big 'no sunburn' change. I still burn. I try to get out 2 to 3x/week at lunch with no shirt for 1/2 hour (15 min on back, 15 min on stomach or leaning forward reading) for the vit d and the nice side effect of not blinding others when I take off my shirt, but if I stay outside for an hour in the mid day sun - I'll still be pretty toasted.

Glad it works for everyone else. Not for me.
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

Athena is offline Senior Member
    I dont get sunburned as easily at all. I easily can spend 5+ hours on the beach and just be tan, if i do somehow become burned, it goes away overnight. I truly believe its the diet, I never was like that before.

if I stay outside for an hour in the mid day sun - I'll still be pretty toasted.
    Oh, don't get me wrong - I would, too. It's a very gradual change. I'm not *certain* I can stay out a significantly longer period of time, but I think I can, and for sure, when I burn, it's much quicker to heal.

My children, on the other hand - all five of them - are very fair (in the winter) & blond & blue-eyed like me. They tan like crazy. They've also had excellent diets (other than lots of whole grains until about 3 years ago, but other than that, no processed food, very little sugar, etc.) since birth. They can easily do an hour of mid-day sun on the beach on the longest and/or hottest day of the year and not get burned. I don't know what the mechanism is, but it's gotta be something in the diet.

I have a goal of getting an hour of sun each day starting in March and really expect that to make a difference come summer time. Of course, I've had that goal for two years and haven't achieved it yet.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I have some melasma on my forehead, and my wife has had it too for a long time. We both use sunscreen like crazy to keep it from getting worse. One thing I tried that has worked really well in fading the melasma and freckles is Aloe Vera Gel. I use an all natural one from one of the organic groceries that has vitamins in it as well. It has done wonders for my skin, and my daughter's acne.

Another product I have used for years is Olay Regenerist Night Effects. It's just a cream you put on before bed. This is mainly for moisturizing and wrinkle prevention. (I know, I sound like a girl)

I think protecting my face from the sun has helped me prevent wrinkles and signs of aging. However, as for my body, I will go shirtless to do my sprints, walks and yardwork.

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    I was sad and shocked to read about this Salon Magazine writer's recent diagnosis of melanoma on her scalp's part line.
    http://www.salon.com/life/feature/20...cer/index.html

I hope all you Primals are remembering to wear hats (or helmets) when getting your Grok on outdoors. I have a collection of 'em. I also have dressy hats for other occasions, but don't always remember to wear them for non-sporting events.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast