Thread: Being Primal at a County Fair page

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I live in Wisconsin and County Fairs are usually a pretty big deal around here. We try to go to at least two each Summer and it's always a lot of fun.

One of the favorite pasrts about going to the fair when I wasn't primal was the fact that you get to eat those horrible foods on a stick that smell and taste oh, so goooood!

This year I went to a local fair and didn't touch any of the foods they had there. I just skipped lunch and dinner all together, but it was very hard to do when everyone arounds me was stuffing face with that stuff.

I get to go to another fair in couple of weeks and I was wandering if there are any options that you can think of that would be feasible for us.

One thing I know would be a good treat is turkey leg but I'm not sure if this fair will be offering it.

Any other ideas?

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I went to the fair a couple weeks ago and brought my own food (nuts mainly). It kept me satiated till I could get something else outside of the fair. We were only there a couple hours though so if you plan on being there all day, that's a different story.

Clint is offline Senior Member

Honestly, at a fair, no. There are really no Primal options. Even the turkey leg, I doubt, is from a free-range, grain-free turkey farm.

With that said, remember, you always have the 80/20 rule to fall back on if you decide to indulge a little bit. Hell, it's not like your going to live off of fair food for any length of time.

Keep in mind that The PB is a lifestyle. The most important word there being LIFE. Don't forget to live a little b/c stressing out about it could do just as much harm as just eating the food.

That's my $0.02 anyways!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I went to the Sonoma County Fair last week. At the Old Mexico stand, I got a big bowl of pozole, which is a Mexican stew. All sorts of veggies and pork floating in a yummy spiced broth. It did have small amounts of corn and beans, but it was mostly shredded cabbage.

I didn't get it, but there was also a booth with freshly cooked tri-tip which could be had on a skewer by itself. I doubt that it was organic, but come on, people, it doesn't have to be all-or-nothing!

Clint is offline Senior Member

We're not saying "all-or-nothing". She just asked what choices were Primal at the fair. I don't believe any of them are Primal as set out by The Primal Blueprint.

Having said that, there are definitely acceptable compromises that stay with the spirit of The PB and then there are choices that don't fit at all. A turkey leg that comes from a factory farm is not Primal but is most certainly an acceptable compromise that I wouldn't fault anyone for taking. An elephant ear, on the other hand, doesn't fit at all, yet I wouldn't fault anyone for eating one either.

Just do what you are comfortable doing, don't stress about it and enjoy yourself.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

If worse comes to worse and I have to eat at a fair, I'll get a sausage with peppers and onions, and just eat it without the bun. Sadly our fairs offer very little besides that, burgers, and tons of sugar.

grandma is offline Member

turkey legs!

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.