Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vitamin D Thread page

cillakat is offline Senior Member

Arrow The Vitamin D Thread

Primal Fuel
    It's about time we have one of these

Gotta love William Davis, MD of heartscan:
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...vitamin-d.html

Please test your D levels. There is a $65 home test (fingerstick) that is accurate, precise and available everywhere (except New York state...)

grassrootshealth.org

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Fascinating article. So I'll up my Vit D supps! However, I know I feel better when I've been in the sun for any decent length of time. What is doing that, if I'm too old to be making vitamin D?!

You're never too old to make *some* D from sun. The efficiency of the process just declines over time.

Test, test and retest. Detailed testing information is in my sig line. Use labcorp or ZRT - not quest.

polyclef is offline Member
    So here is an odd question, has anyone else noticed that supplementing vitamin D actually reduces instances of sunburn?

Here is why I ask. I am a fair skinned "ginger" kid, and will burn pretty quickly when out in the sun. I have been supplementing vitamin D for a few weeks. Recently I was at a theme park with my kids all day and did not use sunscreen, opting for a hat and clothing choices (had a long sleeve shirt and long pants in a backpack). The entire day my arms and legs were exposed. In the past I would have had a mild sunburn within a few hours, but I walked away that day without any sun burn.

Since that day I have paid more attention to how the sun affects my skin while doing things such as yard work and there seems to be a noticeable difference in the rate at which I will get a sun burn. Actually I haven't had any sun burn and haven't really tried to avoid it.

Just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences or if it is even related to vitamin D or just eating healthier.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I got 45 minutes of full body sun today. Now I'm a slightly darker shade of paste
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I definitely see a difference in my ability to tolerate the sun now, although I'm not yet supplementing D. I try to get out daily, but often fail. I know the diet is doing something; probably my increased outdoor time is helping?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    cillacat your possessed with vitamin info, thank you, I've learned a lot from your posts.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Quote Originally Posted by polyclef View Post
    So here is an odd question, has anyone else noticed that supplementing vitamin D actually reduces instances of sunburn?

....snip....

Just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences or if it is even related to vitamin D or just eating healthier.
    There are so many instances of this being reported. I can't wait till someone studies it.

JStrick is offline Senior Member
    i emailed you about this, but wondering where you would suggest getting D3 supplements from?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    The people who've been assessed as producing less vitamin D as they age presumably eat according to CW. So - lots of carbs and regard fats as evil.
    PB people eat much more fat and seem to be reporting greater tolerance of sunshine without burning - certainly I am finding that I can stay in the sun much longer without burning and tan more easily.

Is it possible that higher fat intake protects skin? And could it also mean that the higher fat intake increases the ability to make Vitamin D? So meaning that older people, eating PB, will in fact not be losing the ability to make vitamin D at all; the declining production of vit D manufacture in CW eaters being due not to age, but to the cumulative effect of the CW diet - specifically lack of fat in the diet?

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast