Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much tuna is too much tuna? page 2

Iron Uvula is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by invino77 View Post
    Make sure its yellowfin, not white albacore.
    May I ask why not albacore?

979roadrunner is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat tuna. I eat Tilapia. No mercury concerns.

crzydjm is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Uvula View Post
    May I ask why not albacore?
    Yeah, I would be curious on this too...Seems like all canned tuna at the store ("regular" store) is albacore

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    What about Salmon? I like to eat fresh salmon a few times a week. Should I be worried about the mercury?

brians_ona_boat is offline Junior Member
    I read in Menshealth that drinking green tea with your tuna meal could reduce the harmful effect of the mercury, idk how true it is though really??

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    One of my absolute favorite pre-primal meals used to be canned tuna and white rice. The taste to me was unreal, my family, especially my father, didn't understand because none of them really like tuna but I would have it at least twice a day most days. I haven't touched a can of tuna since turning primal... isn't it funny how you can almost forget about such a thing? I can't have tuna alone though but I think I'll give it a shot with cauliflower "rice" ... hmmm

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    I heartily agree with all the evidence about selenium, and mercury not really being an issue. But I did some research a few years ago when I was eating a lot of tuna, and even if you don't believe the evidence about mercury, I still found out that to hit the EPA recommended ingestion dosages for mercury, you'd need to eat 4 cans of tuna a week. What they don't tell you is that the EPA recommended ingestion dosages is TEN TIMES lower than the actual harmful amount to humans. So even if you don't believe that our bodies can handle the mercury due to the selenium, you'd still need to eat 40 cans of tuna per week to actually get to harmful dosages (theoretically).

It's just more CW fear mongering.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Yellow fin vs. albacore:

I don't know what reasons Invino77 has, but albacore is reputed to have higher mercury content than yellow fin. The post above his addressed mercury in tuna. However, albacore also has a higher omega 3 content. I guess that ya just picks yur pizzen.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brians_ona_boat View Post
    I read in Menshealth that drinking green tea with your tuna meal could reduce the harmful effect of the mercury, idk how true it is though really??
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    Yellow fin vs. albacore:

I don't know what reasons Invino77 has, but albacore is reputed to have higher mercury content than yellow fin. The post above his addressed mercury in tuna. However, albacore also has a higher omega 3 content. I guess that ya just picks yur pizzen.
    I don't know any other way to say it:

the selenium binds with the mercury making it a nonissue. As long as you're not eating whale, shark, tilefish, etc fish is beneficial, even tunafish.

Unfortunately albacore and tongol are both caugh in environemntally devastating ways.

Best to stick with young troll and poll-caught fish but they do run about $5/can. They also have a lot more Ω3 - about 5g/2 oz.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast