Thread: Outdoors and Out of Reach page

texas.grok is online now Senior Member

Outdoors and Out of Reach

Primal Fuel
    Good article on how we spend too much time tied to tech and how difficult it can be to move away from it but how good it feels when we do.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Outdoo...51837.html?x=0

In a previous thread it asked what our kryptonite is? Well, this is mine. Too much tech, too much TV, too much computer time. I have no choice but to keep my cell phone on because I'm on 24/7 emergency call but I'm like a moth to a flame when the TV is on in my apartment, guess I just need to throw it out.

My favorite time is when I'm in the air going back and forth to work. For a total of 15 flying hours each way, I'm at 35000 feet and nobody can get hold of me. Closest thing to a vacation I seem to get.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I used to have my laptop on my lap while I sat on the couch with the TV. I've really progressed in that I've moved my laptop to the kitchen table; so now it's either tv or computer. Such progress!

I've been thinking about getting rid of cable, although I love it to keep up on news. Computer I could never do without. A cellphone is a necessary evil but most everyone I know knows that I HATE talking on the phone so at least my phone activity is limited to texting.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I guess my favorite part about being alive is that I can eat, play, and exercise like a caveman but go home and watch America's Got Talent and play some Xbox 360.

Modern Caveman's rock and I personally don't need to go backwards in time to be healthy. Then again, I am a software developer I could be biased.

Eosapien is offline Junior Member
    I guess a balance is everything. Being a civilization immersed in technology is not a bad thing and is an inevitable result of our advancement but there needs to be more of a balance between advanced technology and the natural world. Right now, western civilization is built around the idea of separation from the natural world......save for carefully controlled parks, zoos, and landscaping, which is a path that is destructive and I think ultimately a dead-end.

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    I'm not so tied to my phone or the television. Never have been. My computer is my ball and chain. Owning my home with a huge yard and a huge garden make for many hours outdoors. My problem is that I don't socialize enough. Other than my walks/sprints, I HATE going anywhere! I did go out of town last week with family, to see family.

It didn't kill me!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I just got my first cell phone this year, which is mainly for business, and I hate it. Before this year, everyone would say, "How do you do it? I can't believe you don't have a cell phone!" I did just fine without it. In fact, if I change jobs, I will probably give it up again. I really don't need it, and I miss the days of not having one.

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    I recall spending a few weeks in a remote canyon within the Grand Staircase of southern Utah near Escalante. We had to hand-dig our own water well (fortunately only a few feet) straining the sediment out with a tee-shirt and boiling the water for drinking. You could look out the mouth of the hanging canyon on a clear day and see like three steps of the Grand Staircase (about 50 to 60 miles) -- like a spectacular view from an airplane but with your feet still firmly planted on the ground -- a spiritual like experience that I will never forget .

While we did not hunt and gather our own food, it was as close to living primitive as I have ever lived (of course that was back in the early 90’s long before I had ever heard of PB). You could imagine what it was like for the primitive Native Americans as they followed the buffalo up the staircase for the hot summers and then back down for the cold winters. Absolutely beautiful and stress relieving despite somewhat roughing it in the wilderness. It is a great place to get away from civilization/technology and de-stress from modern life and I hope to go back and visit sometime.
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I struggle with the internet too. I think there's real benefit to it, but real cost also. We lose a lot to even mild internet addiction

Ghost is offline Junior Member
    I was thinking about this while writing my primal journal entry today. Would Grok be filing the details of his day, or would he be poking something with a stick? The primal journal, by definition, doesn't seem very primal. I updated anyway. Paradoxes tend to go away if you ignore them.

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I was thinking about this while writing my primal journal entry today. Would Grok be filing the details of his day, or would he be poking something with a stick? The primal journal, by definition, doesn't seem very primal. I updated anyway. Paradoxes tend to go away if you ignore them.
    No doubt Grok would have been poking something with a stick, or someone. But Grok, and the world he lived in, drove him to be what he was, a part of that environment that had to do what he did to survive. We don't have to run, jump, lift heavy things, etc to survive anymore (most of us anyway) so we use things like this forum, journals, blogs and the like in part to gain wisdom, to give wisdom but also to keep ourselves motivated to continue what we are doing (or at least those are my reasons). If modern society was to end tomorrow, those of us that survived would quickly forget our journals and be poking things with a stick like Grok.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/