Thread: Diabetes and PB? page

scubasam is offline Senior Member

Diabetes and PB?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, I have been messing around with PB for about 3 months now with little success because I did not stick to it for long enough, but my eating has been much better these past 3 months in terms of processed foods and carbs/grains overall than it has been in years.

I went for blood work last week and just got my results back. My HA1C is 6.3 and my fasting glucose was 123, both of which are indicators of diabetes. I have known that I am insulin resistant for years now (have PCOS and had gestational diabetes in all three of my pregnancies) but these results are the worst they have ever been.

My fasting levels were never over 106 and my A1C levels have never been over 6 (they have fluctuated between 5.4 during my pregnancies and 6.0 post pregnancy).

Does it make sense that my levels would be worse now than they have ever been with me cutting out almost all refined carbs, wheat and sugars on PB?

On another note, I have buckled down and have been following PB over the past 4 days and am finally starting to see results on the scale.

Viking is offline Senior Member
    Hi. Maybe you need to get really strict for a while. I think if you have had to "buckle down" to finally get results then you were not following PB closely enough before. Also, do you know your numbers from right before you started PB? It's possible you have improved them, right?

I dropped my fasting glucose from 130 to 117 in a couple of weeks being really strict, cutting out ALL grains and potatoes, and have lost 40 pounds since July 5 when I started PB. I think It's easier for men to lose weight though, at least I have heard that. Not sure what my glucose is now but may be improving still.

See what the more knowledgeable folks here say, but it seems to me you need to get extreme for a bit. Best of luck to you.

I obviously was not strict enough and was also eating too much of the 'right' foods, but have become really strict over the past 4 days (today is day 5) and I plan on continuing. I don't think I can drop 40 lbs in 5-6 weeks, but I will be happy with a 2-2.5 lb drop a week and I am seeing that right now, so I will try not to freak out and continue with what I am doing.

Thanks for the response.

melodious is offline Senior Member
    Hi Scubasam,
    I can't say much about blood glucose levels, but I wanted to weigh in (sorry about the pun) on the 2-2.5 pounds per week loss. As a woman, once you're through the first couple of weeks, plan on more like 1-1.5, instead. Because women are, on average, smaller than men, we lose slower. It's partially about proportions (2 pounds of loss is a lot more, proportionally, to a 150 pound woman than a 200 pound man).

I've often wondered about fasting glucose. Our whole point here is to stablize our blood sugar, right, avoiding the roller coaster? Doesn't that mean that our "low" blood sugar would be higher, on average, than before? But, our "high" will be much lower...Thoughts from those out there who actually test their blood sugar levels?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubasam View Post
    these results are the worst they have ever been. ?

On another note, I have buckled down and have been following PB over the past 4 days and am finally starting to see results on the scale.
    So you weren't doing PB before? Then yes, it makes sense that your levels were worse......it tends to get worse over time and with age unless managed pretty agressively.

My dad has been a type II diabetic - much of the time blatantly uncontrolled. His blood sugars both am fasting and pre-prandial are now around 85, which is amazing.

Over time, I'm sure his post-prandial will also normalize. William Davis of Heartscan has written some interesting stuff and Bernstein's book is *the* best diabetes related information out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Hi. Maybe you need to get really strict for a while. I think if you have had to "buckle down" to finally get results then you were not following PB closely enough before. Also, do you know your numbers from right before you started PB? It's possible you have improved them, right?

I dropped my fasting glucose from 130 to 117 in a couple of weeks being really strict, cutting out ALL grains and potatoes, and have lost 40 pounds since July 5 when I started PB. I think It's easier for men to lose weight though, at least I have heard that. Not sure what my glucose is now but may be improving still.

See what the more knowledgeable folks here say, but it seems to me you need to get extreme for a bit. Best of luck to you.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

979roadrunner is offline Senior Member
    In addition to weight percentage, pre menopuasal women also have a disadvantage in that the female body, while fertile, WANTS to store extra fat (esp. in hips and thighs) in case baby makes three at a caloricaly disadvantageous time. (for Groc/ Grocette, winter, when food is scarce)
    When a woman has a child, these fat stores are accessed by her body to help feed little Groc.
    Yet another wonderfull adaptation that bites humans on the butt when it's uneeded.

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    So you weren't doing PB before? Then yes, it makes sense that your levels were worse......it tends to get worse over time and with age unless managed pretty agressively.

My dad has been a type II diabetic - much of the time blatantly uncontrolled. His blood sugars both am fasting and pre-prandial are now around 85, which is amazing.

Over time, I'm sure his post-prandial will also normalize. William Davis of Heartscan has written some interesting stuff and Bernstein's book is *the* best diabetes related information out there.
    My 2 hour post prandial (which was really 1.5 hours) was 95. I have never had an issue with post prandial readings unless I ate a horrendous meal.

As for what I have been doing with PB, I have been following it, but about 65% of the time, in that I would do really well for 3-4 days and then eat some rice. I have not touched gluten/wheat except for twice over the past 3 months and I barely eat processed foods at all, so while my PB eating has not been stellar, my eating has been MUCH better now than it has been over the past few years.

I am just going to keep doing what I am doing and retest in a few weeks and take it from there.

Thanks!