Thread: Warning non-PB'rs about ingredients? page

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member

Question Warning non-PB'rs about ingredients?

Shop Now
    We have a lot of family get-togethers and potlucks. I usually make a main dish consisting of some kind of protein but since I got my PB cookbook I'm thinking of making the Brownies next time as a desert. We do the same for parties where we mingle with new people not known to us.

It got me thinking though...do most of y'all "warn" others about contents of your recipes when you are sharing so as to avoid any allergic issues?

Specifically, I'm thinking of the higher use of nuts, and nut meals/flours.

TIA

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    I've started to, especially at primal/paleo gatherings. Some people won't expect an entree to contain nuts/butters/oils, so I'd rather avoid any issues. Sometimes it's nice to make little handwritten cards to accompany the dish on nice cardstock as well (or do a computer print-out if you're feeling fancy)

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I'll usually ask if there are any allergies I need to work around. If I get someone I haven't asked, I'll let them know what's in it.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Thanks y'all...and Marisa you brought up something I hadn't even thought about. I never even gave mind to the use of nut oils as a potential allergen too.

My small mind thinks of "peanuts" which I avoid myself but I've only heard of one other person having an anaphylactic reaction to another type of nut -- from pecan pie. Kid was 19, at college and had no idea. They were not able to resuscitate him.
    Last edited by Charlie Golf; 08-16-2010 at 09:30 AM.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Hazel nuts were deadly to my grandmother. It didn't take much to make it extremely hard for her to breath and to precipitate a mad dash for the ER. I personally haven't gotten into making things with nut flour. I tend to limit my nut intake anyway and I haven't been trying to replicate many nonprimal things.

Dannielle is offline Senior Member
    I am really upfront about ingredients. Not only because of potential allergens (though I don't really make anything with nut flours) but also because are working to lose weight by eating high carb/low fat. They know I've lost quite a bit of weight and they tend to assume that food I'm serving is "diet friendly". I always let them know that I don't skimp on fat so they can make informed choices.

Pheurton is offline Junior Member
    Absolutely. My 5-year old son is allergic to peanuts and sesame, so we have to carry an epi-pen wherever we go. On top of that, he has really bad excema that is triggered by certain foods...mainly wheat. We use a lot of almond meal and they do eat organic basmati rice...we also take food with us wherever we go. That way, we never worry about the kids eating something we don't want them to.

But yes, we ABSOLUTELY make sure the ingredients not "processed in a facility that also processes peanuts".

Roo
    Roo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
    Sometimes it's nice to make little handwritten cards to accompany the dish on nice cardstock as well (or do a computer print-out if you're feeling fancy)
    This is what I do when I take a dish to a potluck. I always like to know what is in the food I am eating, so I return the favor. It's pretty common in my area.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    People tend to freak out when I cook in lard. So i dont tell them and they just think its delicous.