Thread: need to make a change page

beetle is offline Junior Member

need to make a change

Shop Now
    Hi, I am new to this PB world, and I want to change my lifestyle, but I feel stuck and unable to do so. I am addicted to carbs, or at least it seems that way. I am at least 30 pounds overweight and take multiple drugs for mood and depression. I really believe that if I change the way I eat and exercise I would feel so much better. I know that seems like a no brainer for some people but I am in a rut. What do you think the first steps should be? any suggestions or advice? tHanks in advance!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Everyone's addicted to carbs when they start. That's because carbs are addictive - they have opioids in them (at least, the grains do) which cause addiction. Kicking them is going to be hard - but once you get through it you will feel tons better. It's called the "low-carb flu" - do a searc about it on this site and you'll find tons of information.

To get started? You want to stop eating all grains (so anything made of flour or corn - corn is a grain), all legumes (beans, peas, peanuts), and all starchy veggies (potatoes especially), along with all processed foods. Center your meals on high-fat meat (steak, high-fat ground beef, dark-meat chicken with the skin on, bacon!), eggs with the yolks, butter, coconut oil, and lots of non-starchy veggies. Don't eat fruit (including tomatoes) for the first three or four weeks because it's still sugar and your insulin will still spike. Don't use sweeteners or drink diet soda, either, as they can cause an insulin response in some people and the idea is to try to avoid that.

Every time you get a carb craving, eat something fatty and non-sweet. Have a spoonful of coconut oil or a pat of butter. And grit your teeth and get through it. There's unfortunately no easy way to do that - you just have to decide that your health is more important than the addiction. And make no mistake - it is an addiction, every bit as powerful as a heroin addiction.

Rooting for you.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Diktynna is offline Senior Member
    I second Griff's words. There is no way to it but through it. The first 10 days to two weeks is fairly tough (it was for me) but after you get over the dizzy, tired and cranky withdrawal period, up will be so happy you've chosen this path.

Good luck.

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    I too, have suffered depression due to health problems and thyroid issues. My doctors had me on so many different meds, by the time I was 26 I had to use one of those compartmentalized units to hold all my meds! The first week and the third week were a little tough (cravings and carb flu).

The ONLY med I take now is my thyroid hormone replacement! I have lost 34 lbs and feel better than I've felt in 15 years and I'm only into this since June 1st.

Once you just make up your mind to do this....it's all good! Good luck and come here often with questions and/or support...the people on these forums are awesome!

Captainsunshine is offline Junior Member
    Yeah it's tough, one of the toughest elements of the regime is dropping carbs. As has been said, the first few weeks are the most difficult and you notice how much you rely on grains, but soon enough you'll be walking through the bread section of your supermarket without batting an eyelid.

beetle is offline Junior Member
    thanks so much!!! i know this is going to be tough so I appreciate the support and advice from everyone. Ok, so no carbs it is, fats here i come. going to the grocery store to buy new groceries tonight.

Brad is offline Member
    You will feel like crap for a few weeks, but its worth it. I've been doing this for almost two years now and just turned 37 today but I tell you I feel like 27 and dont feel deprived, or that I'm missing out on anything.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    If this all feels REALLY overwhelming, remember to take it in small bits. Think 'I am going to be successful at having breakfast this morning with no carbs'. When you complete that task, pat yourself on the back! Take it one meal, one hour at a time.

Set yourself up for success with the proper foods available to you around the house and such, carry nuts with you when you go out, find some super yummy recipes that are primal and that you would love to try.

But the key will be tackling each moment in front of you. Try not to focus on 'oh I have to do this for a month, or 6 months, or lifetime'. Can you do dinner tonight totally primal?? Does that feel achievable?? If so, DO IT. Make dinner primal, and then woohoo, smile and go YES, I did what I set out for, that was easy! If you didn't, then look to the next step, breakfast, and tackle that. If an entire meal is a problem, then just eliminate something from a meal....say wheat or bread from the next meal. Whatever feels possible, do that, and make it happen. Success breeds success......so embrace the little wins, learn and let go of any struggles, and keep moving forward!

Good luck, you can do it!!