Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archery Lessons Tonight! page

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member

Archery Lessons Tonight!

I'm so excited that my man and I signed up for archery lessons tonight! He has a bow and has vowed to do some hunting to fill our freezer this season.

When I was a little girl at summer camp, archery was my favorite activity .

I so want the experience of hunting my own food... even though it does seem a little scary. I just think I'll appreciate eating meat so much more if I go through the entire process.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Awesome! I have also been giving serious thought to starting hunting, especially with a bow.

Torrtrefireto is offline Member
    Archery is an awesome and fun sport to practice, but do you really think you are going to be able to master it enough to get real kills on deer?

Or 9/10 times is it just going to hit the deer in the side where it will run off and suffer for a few days until it dies and you won't even get the meat?

I have land where we hunt, but if anyone ever tried to bow hunt on our land I would beat them senseless. Inneffective torture for no reason other than to be cooler/more primal than shooting a gun

sorry if this came off as provocational or attacking. It just makes me sick when I see limping wounded deer as the result of people thinking they can bow hunt

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrtrefireto View Post
    Archery is an awesome and fun sport to practice, but do you really think you are going to be able to master it enough to get real kills on deer?

Or 9/10 times is it just going to hit the deer in the side where it will run off and suffer for a few days until it dies and you won't even get the meat?

I have land where we hunt, but if anyone ever tried to bow hunt on our land I would beat them senseless. Inneffective torture for no reason other than to be cooler/more primal than shooting a gun

sorry if this came off as provocational or attacking. It just makes me sick when I see limping wounded deer as the result of people thinking they can bow hunt
    Completely understandable. I wasn't thinking of a deer at all . I was thinking of something smaller, and it will be years before I get there. My man has successfully hunted with a bow in the past and shares your view. Its the right view to have in my opinion.

Meadow is offline Senior Member

Proper bow hunting is not like this. My husband takes 80% of our meat through bow hunting (compound bow), and he makes ETHICAL clean shots on all his harvests, even on large animals like elk. He practices in the backyard for MONTHS every night before season starts....he will drill a quarter size spot from 35 yards over and over before he heads to the woods. If a good clean shot isn't there, he won't take it. PERIOD. He can always hunt another day.

Now, there are definitely some numbskull bow hunters out there, but I don't think it is fair to lump everyone in the same category. Even I killed a deer with a bow, went 20 yards and fell over dead. I practiced for over a year doing 3D tournaments until all actions and judgments were instinctual.

There are ethical bow hunters out there and we try to promote best practices in our circles

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    Whether used for hunting or for target practice only, archery sounds like a really cool sport to learn.

Mainer is offline Senior Member

Ignore this nonsense, these are ignorant statements. Sorry if I am coming off a little harsh here but it really bothers me when those who have not participated in the activity chime off with these type of statements.

If you put your practice in and your confident and stay within 20 yards or shorter you will be fine. Any deer I have taken with a bow didn't travel more than 75 yards. This is much different than gun hunting, you have to be so close for a clean kill, reduces the odds of things going badly. It's a spiritual activity, probably primal, and you don't have to worry about a woods full of gun hunters.

Now, don't let comments like this deter you, go for it and have fun. Good luck in your harvest.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I have been a hunter in 'my youth'. Now that I am a senior I like my venison from Meals on Wheels. I need to point out that the wounded deer thing you wrote about is not just archers. Rifle hunters and in Virginia, shot gun hunters, also wound and forget animals. In my day and I imagine today as well, if you hit an animal, you waited a bit, then trailed it. You finished it. There always were and always will be "drive by shooters" though, shooting things and forgetting about it, then shooting cattle and horses on the drive back home to center city.

Don't put down bow hunters.

tbow is offline Member
    How'd the class go? I love archery! Absolutely love it (probably obvious from the name). For our third date, my DH and I went hunting - it was love. ;-) (Well, no, actually, it was the elk steak and eggs, and his cast iron collection that won my heart. But the bow didn't hurt one bit.)

There's something very powerful and humbling about being out there with your bow. And, to help you get in good form/stay in good form, plunking, or doing a daily "zen shot" are great. Plus, get connected in your area and you'll find the 3D tournaments are a *blast*! Good people, lots of fun, and excellent time spent doing something you'll love.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by tbow View Post
    How'd the class go? I love archery! Absolutely love it (probably obvious from the name). For our third date, my DH and I went hunting - it was love. ;-) (Well, no, actually, it was the elk steak and eggs, and his cast iron collection that won my heart. But the bow didn't hurt one bit.)

There's something very powerful and humbling about being out there with your bow. And, to help you get in good form/stay in good form, plunking, or doing a daily "zen shot" are great. Plus, get connected in your area and you'll find the 3D tournaments are a *blast*! Good people, lots of fun, and excellent time spent doing something you'll love.
    Well said, like your spirit.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast