Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flexibility? page

Lodini is offline Senior Member

Flexibility?

Primal Fuel
    So I am watching this show called "Too Fat for Fifteen"... it's about a fat camp. On day 1 the kids had to do the "sit and reach" test, which I remember from back in the day. The trainer said flexibility is one of the 5 components of physical fitness... so I got on the floor and tried it! LOL He said the test measures how far past your ankles you can reach (sitting with your legs out straight and reaching between your feet). I barely got anywhere past my ankles! I used to be flexible, but not so much... granted, my hamstrings are super sore from this weekend's workout.

Would Grok care if he could sit and reach well?
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Not sure what Grok would care about. Except he could probably leap over things well, which would require better flexability than a person who sits on his butt all day with hams, and such shortening over time.

I think it also depends on what kinds of sports for fun you do. Dh and I like to ski. Well, he boards. And the last time we went, he was so tight he couldn't reach his bindings without a total production.

I personally feel better when I'm in better flexy condition. But once upon a time I was a dancer, and I just like to be able to move with fluidity. Keeps pain down too! However, I won't be hitting the splits mid air anytime soon.

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I think I'm definitely going to work on this... just add it to the list of physical components for me to work on! LOL
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I could never do any of that flexibility crap, despite being able to kick my own head height. I am the most unflexible black belt you will ever meet. I don't think Grok would give a damn if he could sit and reach well. Grok would only care how quick he could run, how well he could climb, and if he could carry home the dead animal. Then again, I don't think Grok ever sat in chairs and developed poor posture and tight muscles.

Dannielle is offline Senior Member
    I wonder what the point is? I've always been flexible (I just tried the reaching test and the palms of my hands can go past my toes) but I don't see how that benefits me.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    I wonder what the point is? I've always been flexible (I just tried the reaching test and the palms of my hands can go past my toes) but I don't see how that benefits me.
    In general, it should help PREVENT injuries. It's usually (but not always) the really tight individual that slips and tears a muscle, torks a knee, or wrenches his/her back. When these injuries happen to a flexible person, he/she is usually lacking in muscular strength. Obviously, perfectly fit people get hurt to.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Yoga has done wonders for my flexibility. It is all active stretching, too.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Most Americans can't even sit on the ground due to poor flexibility. Or tie their shoes without sitting down. Or reach for something behind them. I think flexibility is more a by-product of physical fitness rather than a means unto itself.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

979roadrunner is offline Senior Member
    I've never been all that flexible, and I take no injury where my brother (much more flexible) does. For example, I often walk at night for exercise, and the first few times I followed the course I do now, I stepped in a hole that turned my foot on it's edge while dropping it about 4-5 inches, while weight is transferring forward.
    Now ,to my brother, and a lot of other flexy people I've known, this would have been a sprained or at least twisted ankle, off the feet on a crutch for a few weeks. For me, it was a forward pitch, a cuss, and three limping (gradualy less) steps, or thereabout. Not even a twinge that night, let alone the next day.
    The most flexy I get is when weight training or doing martial arts (which I practice more sporadicaly the older I get)

979roadrunner is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Lojasmo View Post
    Yoga has done wonders for my flexibility. It is all active stretching, too.
    I often find strength a limiting factor in yoga. To date, I've not found a progression that I consider right for easing a fat, tight, weak (relative to his weight, at least) peson into it without pain. For this reason, I've never stayed with it more than, one time, two weeks (at which point I recieved a shoulder injury doing a yoga derived shoulder stretch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast