Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flexibility? page 2

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    All sports injure people. People injure themselves with our beloved weight lifting all the time.

Yoga injuries usually come from bad form and/or pushing hard, which you're not supposed to do. You have to respect it the same as any sport or activity. Teachers generally know better, but of course not all, same as any activity.

I was straining things all the time before I got stronger and more flexible with yoga. Now I can move around in my day without pulling things all the time.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    P90X's yoga routine helped me dramatically with my flexibility a couple years ago. I had no idea that I couldn't even touch my toes and I was decent shape and not very overweight at the time. These days I can nearly palm the floor. I'm guessing that Grok didn't have P90X but yoga does do wonders in that department in this day and age.

tooround is offline Senior Member
    Interesting thoughts.

I have always been able to reach far beyond my feet. I can put my palms flat on the floor while standing stiff-legged. But I am sooo not an athlete! I'm your typical weenie little woman who couldn't fight my way out of a paperbag, let alone catch my dinner.
    Other than being able to sit on the floor and doing those two little tricks, I'm not sure what good being that flexible has done for me.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    This thread reminds me a little of the one on money. I think it's easy to dismiss flexibility when you naturally (or through your activities) have all the flexibility you need.

But lots of us are naturally (or due to office work) inflexible enough that our activities are restricted and we're prone to strains if we don't specifically work on flexibility.
    Last edited by avocado; 08-16-2010 at 07:18 AM.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tooround View Post
    Other than being able to sit on the floor and doing those two little tricks, I'm not sure what good being that flexible has done for me.
    Ummmm.... I really wanna make a wiseass comment here but I will refrain.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

SNMNY is offline Junior Member
    I once heard somebody compare flexibilty to youth, by comparing how a baby/young child is extremely flexible and how stiff most adults are. Thus by keeping flexible we maintain youth. I'm not doing what he said any justice at all, but it just stuck with me and for some reason made me always work on my flexibility lol.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    F
    Quote Originally Posted by 979roadrunner View Post
    I often find strength a limiting factor in yoga. To date, I've not found a progression that I consider right for easing a fat, tight, weak (relative to his weight, at least) peson into it without pain. For this reason, I've never stayed with it more than, one time, two weeks (at which point I recieved a shoulder injury doing a yoga derived shoulder stretch.
    If you are having pain, you are doing it wrong, and NOT easing in. I am 5-8 @195# and not a terribly limber person. I started doing yoga about six weeks ago, and with going between 3 and 5 times a week, I feel more flexible than I ever have.

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    I agree about flexibility preventing some from being injured. I'm a prime example of that!
    Babies are born flexible for the birth.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Whatever fitness activity you do will require a certain amount of flexibility. If you lift barbells, you'll soon be able to perform full ROM for the major lifts. If you train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, you'll be able to bring your legs close to your torso to prevent guard passes, for example. If you have a reason to be flexible for a certain activity, doing that activity will make you flexible enough.

If you feel a certain type of flexibility would benefit you, then you can work on it, but I see it more as a means to an end than an end in and of itself.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tooround View Post
    I'm not sure what good being that flexible has done for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    I wonder what the point is? I've always been flexible (I just tried the reaching test and the palms of my hands can go past my toes) but I don't see how that benefits me.

It's easy to take mobility for granted when you have it! People with poor mobility have a hard time doing many simple tasks that you probably don't even think about, like tying your shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    This thread reminds me a little of the one on money. I think it's easy to dismiss flexibility when you naturally (or through your activities) have all the flexibility you need.

But lots of us are naturally (or due to office work) inflexible enough that our activities are restricted and we're prone to strains if we don't specifically work on flexibility.
    +1
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast