Thread: Ugh, carb/junk creep + 'Sweet Poison' book page

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member

Ugh, carb/junk creep + 'Sweet Poison' book

Primal Fuel
    It started with a rice cookie with my coffee. Then a spoonful of sugar in the coffee (instant really needs it) then a bit more rice with my main meal. Then an extra cookie. And an extra square of chocolate. On the weekend, some sourdough bread (still paying for that... bread is not a cheat I can allow.) and chips. ( chips= thick french fries)

So this week I'm going to have to eat really clean and get my head back in the right place. The odd little bit here or there might not do any harm, might be part of the 20%, but sugars seem to really be my nemesis. I'm probably still under the 150, but I think I'm getting over 100g and I don't feel particularly good - you know when you're not where you need to be.

Still it was interesting to confirm that I really can't have wheat - with banana bread and sourdough loaf (thought sourdough would maybe be okay) on the same day, and a little the next day - last night I had joint pain and the gut was back to it's old tricks.

I'm currently reading an Aussie book by David Gillespie called 'Sweet Poison - Why Sugar Makes Us Fat' - I got it cos it looked like it had some of the physiology explained quite well. It's a litte bit lowbrow - carefully explaining any polysyllabic word or anything remotely technical, but I guess I've been reading about health for a lot longer than joe average. I noticed his related diet plan in the top sellers at our bookshop, so I really hope it's catching on - just cutting down sugars could be a big step forward for a lot of peeps.

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    There was a study done once where cocaine addicted mice were also given sugar water for three days. Afterwards, when the mice were given the choice between cocaine and sugar water, the mice chose the sugar water.

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeKING View Post
    There was a study done once where cocaine addicted mice were also given sugar water for three days. Afterwards, when the mice were given the choice between cocaine and sugar water, the mice chose the sugar water.
    ... so we can clean up the streets with ice cream trucks... YES!

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    wow really? That's amazing. Not surprising. Willpower has never been my strong point, but I did really well for a while there, but since I went on holiday it's been really falling apart. I'm very keen to optimize my health and there's years of damage to undo, so it amazes me that I should be so willing to just suspend care and eat crap. Because it's only a 'tiny bit' at a time you find yourself thinking it's no biggie. But those bits all add up.

This book is interesting in that it tackles just the one issue - the focus is entirely on sugar. I think that gives it a big advantage over many health books in that for some people, a full Primal diet seems 'too hard' - too many choices to make, too many things to give up. But sugar? That's something we can tackle. So I think once a lot of people start learning about this and getting off the sugar, they could well find there way here to paleo or primal lifestyles because they realize that there's a lot of stuff going on that they didn't know about.

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    Not surprising at all. My addiction is sweets as well, and has always been. The fact that I started out working in an ice cream shop and then donut shops for 20 years didn't help! I thought I pretty much had this under control. Like you, geekgrrl, it started out with just a pinch/piece here and there. Before I know it; the cravings are constant.

Just like drugs...Just Say NO! (sigh)

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    ... so we can clean up the streets with ice cream trucks... YES!
    Hahah unlike the mice, the streets can choose both at the same time

Leanne is offline Senior Member
    This is taken from an article from naturalnews.com
    Curious, isn't it? That's what happens when you take a substance out of nature and refine it to maximize its chemical surface area and biological activity. Cocaine is a drug that's refined from coca leaves. Opium is a drug that's refined from poppies. And sugar is a drug that's refined from sugarcane. And while we have a "war on drugs" against cocaine and heroin, our taxpayer dollars actually subsidize the sugar industry, making refined white sugar cheap and widely available to the entire population so that everyone can be equally hooked.

Refined white sugar is a pleasure drug. If you don't believe me, just put a spoonful on your tongue and observe the instantaneous effects. You'll experience a warming, comfortable feeling that makes you feel safe and happy. They're not called "comfort foods" by accident.

Sugar is, essentially, a legalized recreational drug that's socially acceptable to consume. And yet, just like other drugs, it destroys a person's health over time, rotting out their teeth, disrupting normal brain function, promoting heart disease and directly causing diabetes and obesity. The argument that "street drugs are outlawed because they're dangerous to a person's health" falls flat on its face when you consider what sugar does to the human body. It's a lot more dangerous than marijuana, for example, and yet marijuana is illegal to possess or consume.

Isn't it curious how, in modern society, we fight a war against certain drugs (like cocaine), yet subsidize others? (Like sugar.) The difference, of course, is that the sugar industry has a powerful political lobby and is universally abused by virtually the entire population. Drugs that are abused by only a few (such as heroin) get outlawed, while drugs that are abused by everyone (such as caffeine and sugar) receive legal immunity. It's mob rule. And the mob is addicted to sugar.

End quote

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Cocaine is a drug that ought to go into the nose for the best effects (). You can't dose mice with cocaine through the GI tract and then try to extrapolate that to humans snorting it.

I think that there is much evidence to suggest that sugar is terrible, we don't need to do mouse experiments with cocaine.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!