Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PB diet transition - what's going on? page

mht
    mht is offline Junior Member

Question PB diet transition - what's going on?

Shop Now
    Hi there, my very first post in this huge forum. It will include a sort of introduction with the questions further down. Feel free to skip to "Now the odd stuff - what's going on?" if you're not interested in any background story. Looking through the post I realize it's a bit of a "wall of text" here and I'm extremely tired while writing this and probably mess things up a bit but please bear with me.

I'm hoping you guys can help me identify what's going on here since I'm at a total loss. I'll start with some background information, where I were before I found this site and what I did when I found it.

A little background

So, I'm a 33 year old guy from Sweden who was pretty much raised on pasta and meatballs with very little veggies. I've always been at a total loss in the kitchen and haven't exercised much since the day my father brought a computer into our home. I used to quite the little rocket, always climbing trees, climbing roofs and... well, you get it. The computer changed everything, as people say. This site change things back

Now to the good stuff

So a few weeks ago I stumbled upon this site and started to read article after arcticle and since then I always have 2-10 tabs open in my browser just with articles to read from this site. A lot of what I read made sense and I bought into the whole thing and I went from a high carb low everything else diet to eat a lot of veggies, meat, egg, fish etc. Ah, and nuts of course. Lots of nuts nowadays. This resulted in some really cool stuff. My main drive here was never weight since I've been rather thin my whole life, with a round belly the last two years or so. Instead I was after health and higher energy levels during my awake time. So what happened with the change in diet - and also change of attitude - after just a few days, was that I became more energetic and hunger didn't bother me the way it used to. I also started to like working in the kitchen, things slowly started to taste differently and I started to love the veggies. Good stuff, all of it. I also got more interested in exercise. I had bought shoes for terrain running a few weeks earlier and had been out for a few rounds in the forest which I liked. I've never liked the gym but with my new attitude it started to look more interesting. I even tried tabata sprints - only two intervals, which brought me close enough to death - and including those in a weekly schedule doesn't seem too frightening. All in all I felt I had a new promising life ahead of me and I was very happy with a feeling of really being on track.

Now the odd stuff - what's going on?

After two weeks or so on this new diet I suddenly got problems sleeping at night. At first it was just when I was sleeping at work - I live every other week with a guy in a wheel chair, working as his aide, and I sleep there all nights those weeks. I got very few hours of sleep each night and was pretty zombie during the days, which of course isn't good when I'm working. But now I also have trouble sleeping at home. And we're talking after a wonderful evening where everything have been perfect, I'm at total peace and really tired and I hit the sac smiling thinking that I'm going to sleep sooooo sweeet... but sleep never came. After being up for over 50 hours straight - which never happened before in my whole life - I bought a bottle of wine and the issue was solved for that night. After that alcohol induced period I was up for another 24 hours or so before I got a few hours of sleep in the late morning. This is how it's been since then. This morning I got around 2-3 hours of sleep after a 24 hour wake and it's mid night here in Sweden right now and no sleep. The weird part is that I'm not as zombie as you'd think. So totally sleep deprived. But wait - there is more!

I've also started to feel weird in my body. My muscles feel really weird. Almost aching at times. And I can feel the sudden urge to stretch out, work them, or just pound them a bit with my hand - this especially when I'm trying to sleep. Not so much during the active day really. It's really really annoying when you want to sleep, trust me. Last two days or so I've started to itch, much more than just the usual random itch you get sometimes, but no rashes or so. A few more weirdies I can't really describe. It's like my nervous system has gone totally bananas.

Oh yeah, I'm constipated which I can't remember having been ever before in my life. Currently working through some laxatives which I hope will solve that part soon.

So my questions to you experienced primates out there are as follows.

1. What's going on? Is this normal for a change to the PB diet? I've read that constipation can happen when you change your diet so that doesn't really worry me, but with all the sudden weird stuff adding up it's kind of freaky and I'm happy I have two weeks off from work now and a chance to ride this out if that can be done.

2. When I get this little sleep - we're talking 4 hours every other night or so - I don't really exercise anything, with the exception of an hours walk every other or third day. I imagine my body aren't very capable of building up stuff I break down with exercises right now, but since I don't know how this works really... Well, the question is: Should I start exercising even though I don't really get any sleep or should I keep on taking it easy? Should I exercise in any certain manner to optimize my health during these circumstances?

I really hope someone can shed some light on this if it's related to the change to PB diet.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Gonna try and catch some sleep since I feel zombie mode is coming on again.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    I'd suggest you go to a doctor and tell them about the itching and other weird things. Boring and conventional, I know, but there are so many different possible causes, I think you could really use a proper diagnosis.

mht
    Yes, I'm definitely going to see a doctor about this. I just hope the doc won't tell me to revert to the old diet since that's what last worked for me. Hoped someone here would tell me something like "Oh, that is normal and will be over in a few days."

Thanks for the reply, Hilary. I was so tired when writing the post I was afraid it wouldn't make much sense to you guys.

If anyone have an answer to how to exercise (or not) during periods of sleep deprivation I'd love to hear it. This night I managed to catch a decent amount of sleep so I'll try to be active today

Martin - Primal Newbie

shannon is offline Senior Member
    welcome martin, hopefully it's just your body adjusting to the positive change. let us know;-)
    some go through carb flu and some don't.
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mht View Post
    Lots of nuts nowadays.
    Easy on the nuts. 1-2 oz (approx 60 grams is more than enough).

Quote Originally Posted by mht View Post
    I suddenly got problems sleeping at night.
    Totally common. It happens to many of us. I had 8 brutal weeks of sleep deprivation. Then I went away to a family gathering, at tons of crap, came home, went 'primal' again and from then on I've slept just fine.

I've also started to feel weird in my body. My muscles feel really weird. Almost aching at times
    You're not getting enough magnesium.

Last two days or so I've started to itch, much more than just the usual random itch you get sometimes, but no rashes or so. A few more weirdies I can't really describe.
    All of the wheat products you were eating were likely 'fortified' with b complex vites and zinc and now you're not getting sufficient quantities (unless you're eating a variety of organ meats).

Consider tracking your food intake in nutritiondata.org for a couple of weeks to see what's up.

Oh yeah, I'm constipated which I can't remember having been ever before in my life.
    more saturated fat (coconut milk is great for this) and veggies and magnesium.....

WRT the sleep thing, I'd increase complex carbs from potato, yam, sweet potato and winter squash and see if that helps.

Be sure you're getting plenty of b complex vites (a supplement isn't a bad idea) and a multi vitamin.

k

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    +1 to what cillakat said and welcome to MDA.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    cillakat gives GREAT advice! I would see a doctor just to be on the safe side. Once you find (hopefully) that nothing is amiss with your health you can rest easier (no pun intended). Hopefully, you don't exercise before you go to bed. That, and being on the computer before you try to sleep works against you. Just too much stimulation.

A lot of folks get the carb flu---I know I did for about 2 weeks. That; and I believe, my body was purging all the garbage out of my system and adjusting to all the good stuff. I think if you feel well enough to work out, go ahead and do so. Just listen to your body.

Welcome to MDA and hope things work out for you soon!

mht
    Thanks a lot for great answers and welcomes.

I headed out and bought magnesium + calcium supplements as well as some B-vitamin and omega-3 supplements to be on the safe side. I talked to the lady in the store about magnesium and it's definitely that I need.

Never bought coconut milk in my life so that would be an interesting experiment. I have no idea in what way to consume it, if I'm to drink it like cow milk or just add a little to some kind of mix. Maybe a smoothie or protein drink?

Just4ME: I'm a former computer geek and have a tendency to sit by the computer screen until I'm tired enough to hit the sack even though I know it's not the best way to do it. Never exercises before sleep though.

Again, thanks. You guys really make me feel welcome here

Viking is offline Senior Member
    Hej mht -- it's such a coincidence to read your post. I logged in today to ask for help with nearly the same issues, minus constipation. I have been following PB since 5 July (down 40 pounds) and have had sleep problems almost from then. Last night I think I got less than one hour sleep, with jumpy legs that felt like I needed to stretch, itchy skin on the backs of my lower legs, and my mind racing into thoughts that normally make me sleep.

I'll listen to Cillakat's advice too and hope for the best. Will you reply with results?

PS - I am Swedish American (parents from Sweden) and also a computer geek/programmer. I could speak Swedish before I went to school here in USA but not now.

mht
    Hej Viking!

From all the information I've gathered my bet is on magnesium, just like Cillkat said. I'm starting on magnesium supplements today (and vitamin B + omega-3 just for kicks) and will keep this thread updated with any changes from that.

It's funny with coincidences like that. Same symptoms, Sweden, computer geek/programmer.

I hope things work out for both of us.

P.S. The lady in the health store told me to take the magnesium supplements before I go to bed since the body takes up minerals best when you sleep. She said it would also help me relax the muscles. Took one pill when I got back from the store and will take another one when going to bed tonight.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast