Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: burned my ghee page

shannon is offline Senior Member

burned my ghee

Primal Fuel
    can anyone explain how to make ghee correctly? i went with a recipe that says to allow the milk solids to brown. not exactly what i expected, can i still eat it?
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Give it a taste first, but it should be delicious.
    As long as the solids are golden brown, and not black, you're good to go
    Last edited by kuno1chi; 08-15-2010 at 05:26 PM.

its dark brown, not golden! my ghee is brown. omg i wasted a lb. of butter. sometimes i wonder why i try to cook;-) i will get this right by god!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    I can't help you, but I think you've found a new primal epithet: "That really burns my ghee!"

This is going to make me giggle all day now. I am SO easily entertained...

mizski is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you burned the milk solids and butter in which case it is ruined. Did you use a heavy pot (rather than a frying pan) over low heat? Too large a pot or a frying pan spreads the butter out too thin and it can scorch easily. Too high a heat will also scorch it. There are a ton of youtube videos that illustrate the steps better than a text recipe can. I found it very helpful the first time I made ghee. I also used on-sale grocery store butter the first time in case I wrecked it. LOL

This is the recipe I follow:

How to make ghee (clarified butter) at home

Materials: 1 pound unsalted butter (organic if available), a large sieve, 4 sheets of cheesecloth or muslin, a dry heavy-bottomed deep pot, a clean dry pot to hold the finished ghee, a clean 1-pound glass jar with lid.

Step 1. Melt the butter over low heat gradually in the heavy-bottomed pot. Do not stir.

Step 2. Over low heat, cook the melted butter until it is a clear golden liquid. It may bubble some, and a foam may form on top, but if you have a deep pot it won't boil over. Golden or light brown solids will form and may settle at bottom. You can skim off and discard thick foam if you like.

Step 3. Remove from heat while the liquid is a clear gold. A darker color means overdone ghee.

Step 4. Line the sieve with the 4 sheets of cheesecloth and place over the clean dry pot. While still hot, carefully strain the ghee through the cheesecloth-lined sieve into a clean, dry pot.

Step 5. Transfer the strained ghee carefully into the clean jar and shut tightly.

Note: Ghee at room temperature looks semi-solid. Ghee does not need to be refrigerated. Always use a clean utensil to scoop out ghee for use.

Taste it before you throw it out----maba made some that came out darkish, and it was really delicious

primalkatie is offline Junior Member
    I always burn mine. I just gave up.
    Primal for life!

178/160/130

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvalab View Post
    i can't help you, but i think you've found a new primal epithet: "that really burns my ghee!"

this is going to make me giggle all day now. I am so easily entertained...
    lol!

Quote Originally Posted by kuno1chi View Post
    Taste it before you throw it out----maba made some that came out darkish, and it was really delicious
    i tasted it, yuck:-(

Rats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast