Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PB + Heavy alcohol page

Bakr72 Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi guys,

Hope all is well. I've been on PB for about 6 months, even though I didn't know I was on it -- recently purchased the book.

Things are great for the most part -- dropped fat, kept muscle, getting fitter. Was couting calories before PB and it was messing with my life.

I've cut down almost all drinking from my diet which used to be several times a week. But there are times when I have events/reunions/birthdays where I let go and revert back to my old self - heavy alcohol use for a night or two (upwards of 12-15+ drinks/mixed/beer/shots).

My next week is ruined when this happens. I'm hungover as hell for days and also don't know what I should eat the next day. Should I treat as a re-feed? Eat carbs to feel better? Keep eating primal?

I am well aware alcohol and fat loss don't mix. Trust me, I have cut it out 90% of my diet. But in the rare occasion where I'm with old College buddies, or on a guys vacation (read: VEGAS), what is the best route to take and minimize impact/feeling horrible? Both pre and post "party"?

Thanks in advance. I know the water for every drink trick, etc etc. This is focused on times when the drinking is heavy and that is not feasible. Or maybe a reccomendation (i.e. no beer, just scotch).

Thanks.

Bakr72 Guest

Again, just to re-iterate so I don't get blasted : I am talking about those special occassions that occur probably less than 8 times a year.

I understand the negative effects of alcohol in general and how they are against everything PB. I am not arguing that...just wanted some advice!

Thank you.

Mick Guest

I'd say the other way round to what you have above: beer rather than Scotch.

Go for the drink with the lowest alcohol content in the least concentrated form. That likely means beer, and a weaker beer rather than a stronger one.

Have as few drinks as you can given the company and eat something with the drink.

A glass of Kombucha tea might help your body to recover quicker and your liver to detoxify.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Bakr72, your candor took a lot of guts. I commend you.

After decades as a single bacheloring kinda guy and picking up a drinking habit, I use and sometimes misuse alcohol. I never drink while out so as to not possibly hurt anyone (to say nothing of the cost!) I can easily go 2,3,4 days w/o a drink, no big deal, no struggle.

My most difficult time is after 9PM; I've put the Old Folks down....bed, not euthanasia, and I have a few blessed hours to myself. Time to talk to friends on the phone, go skinny dipping in the pool, smoke a cigar. Alcohol seems just such a natural part of those times. So, if I start, I do have a tendency to drink more than I wish. I don't get hangovers, although I'm typically sluggish the next day.

What I do know about alcohol and weight loss are two things. First, any ketosis stops. I can't provide the link, but a recently came across site was a solid one about that. Second, etoh will dehydrate me, even if I don't feel it. All of my lowest morning weights have been after significant imbibing. Then, as my water levels rebalance, I go up about two pounds or more in the next two days.

In the interest of lowest calories and carbs, I usually imbibe dark rum on the rocks, sometimes with lime juice. Sometimes it's red wine; possibly cheap stuff with orange and lime juices for a pseudo-Sangria.

Mi dos centavos, Po' boy on the bayou

erik.cisler is offline Junior Member

I find wine, specifically red wine, to be the best choice. Fermented grape juice with very little processing or additives. My father was a vintner, so I've personally seen what little goes into actually making wine.

I can't drink nearly as much as I once did - it simply isn't pleasurable anymore - and I can't handle beer at all (it's essentially pure grain). Haven't really tried liquor too much, but I'll occasionally have some dark rum.

So yeah, wine works best for me. Pounding bottles of shiraz in Vegas hotel rooms might not be ideal, but it's certainly better than drinking a 12 pack of fermented grains. At least, in my experience.

As for alcohol itself, intoxicants have always been used (and abused, I suppose) by homo sapiens. Nothing inherently wrong with altering one's head space.

Mick Guest

[quote]

As for alcohol itself, intoxicants have always been used (and abused, I suppose) by homo sapiens. Nothing inherently wrong with altering one's head space.</blockquote>

There's something "wrong" with something about which you can say - and I quote from the original post -
    [quote]

it was messing with my life ... My next week is ruined when this happens. ... I'm hungover as hell for days ...</blockquote>

Alcohol is a poison of the system.

And the liver doesn't treat it the same way it treats glucose (although interestingly it apparently treats fructose in the same way), as the video recently posted by Spencer shows:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Truth-On-Sugar

And it doesn't matter what type of plant the C2H5OH comes from. It's metabolized in the same way.

Drink really is something better avoided, except for the occasional glass of unpasteurized beer, cider, or wine with food. If you've several bottles to choose from, check the label, think twice about anything that has a higher alcohol content.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Bakr72, as long as it&#39;s around 8 times a year, I&#39;d say just go for it. If you are going to sin, be the best sinner of the block.

The way I see it, it&#39;s all about quality of life (a subjective concept of course). If you really enjoy those moments, and you think they are not tampering with your health or longevity too much, have them. You only live once.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

I have to admit. I&#39;m a beer conniseur. I like wine and all but I love good beer. I usually have 2 to 3 a night. I have no idea how I could live without some very good beer during chill out times. I&#39;m not even talking heavy partying. Just a couple while chillaxing in the evening. And doppelbock is my go to. Dark, heavy and 8-9% ABV.

PattySt Guest

I disagree...if it&#39;s making you a wreck for a week that&#39;s too much! A day or two is tollerable, but a week? Definitly don&#39;t eat carbs the next day. If you can avoid these situations, great...but maybe not practical. Perhaps go late so you cut consuption in half.

In the end YOU will have to decide if the pain is worth the pleasure. Good luck!

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

PattySt, your id is making me want Guinness for some reason.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast