Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PB + Heavy alcohol page 2

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

glorth I think we are in the same page. To me, a good quality of life necessarily entails the consumption of my premium fermented purees. Life is way too short for Budweiser or Coors Lite.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

Absolutely. A Grokette asked about eating dark chocolate the other day and said it was about a bar a week. I said, the benefit it does your soul will outweigh that infinitesimile nutrition downside. Quality of life bro.

umuhk Guest

As for how to get past the hangover...

I often have to take paracetamol (Tylenol) for a chronic spinal condition, and it can really take a toll on the liver. I started taking NAC (N-acetylcysteine) to help relieve the metabolic pressure, and discovered that it seemed to lessen the hangover after drinking (when I wasn't taking the paracetamol, of course).

If you do go on a binge, I'd go for water, B-complex, and NAC the next day. For food, I prefer to drop carbs completely for a bit and "clear out" the glucose as quickly as I can. When I'm in Vegas, I'll get lots of omelettes the next day.

Elana Guest

I also tend to imbibe pretty heavily on the rare occasions I get to go out with friends. My solution to avoiding horrendous hangovers is to only drink premium vodka with soda water and lime. Vodka is more pure than other spirits and therefore causes less of a hangover. The soda water has a lot of sodium in it though, so I have a friend who one-ups me and just does vodka with water and lime. Red wine gives me awful headaches and the melatonin in it makes me want a nap before the party even gets going. Just my experience.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I have noticed that since kicking the carbs and grains I never, ever have a headache the next day. Not the slightest.

This reminds me of an old joke by Mitch Hedberg;

I drink red wine. People say, "doesn't it give you a headache?"

Yeah, EVENTUALLY. But the first and middle part are amazing.

Mr B Guest

I've been drinking pretty heavily myself the last 3 or 4 years.

Part of my 30 Day Challenge this month was to have little or no drinking.

Have made it pretty painlessly this whole time, except for last night when I was out watching UFC. But...I made it w/ no drinking just to spite my old way of thinking (I usually get trashed during the fights).

So today, as a pat on the back I just got a pint of Arrogant Bastard Ale and a pint of AB Smoked Porter and am sipping quite contently.

Much much better than the 12 or so Natty, Bud or Coors Lights I got through 2 or 3 times a week.

Jeffrey K Guest

I stopped buying beer in the grocery when the prices climbed last year, and that has cut down my beer consumption considerably. Now when I go out, the prices tend to keep me in check, but I've noticed something else: now that I'm eating primally (1 year into it), combined with physical activity, and taking zinc and magnesium supplements, drinking no longer has that much of an allure anymore.

Yes, I still love a good beer - had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale last night, but I ordered the smaller glass (never used to do that), and it was all I could do to finish it by the end of the meal. I had a big glass of water, which helped as well.

I don't crave chocolate anymore, either. The Weston A. Price Foundation says that a magnesium deficiency (quite common in the U.S.) manifests itself as a chocolate craving. I believe it now. We used to stock Lindt 85% chocolate in the cupboard, but no more.

I'm using the money I've saved not buying chocolate & beer to buy more organic beef, wild salmon, and CSA veggies.

Bakr72 Guest

Wow, thank you all for your responses. Not going to lie, I thought I might get blasted for bringing this up and was hesitant to even check back on my post. You guys are a great community.

@OnTheBayou - Thanks for your response. The halt of Ketosis was something I assumed but it is a great reminder.

@SerialSinner - Agreed. "Quality of life" is relative of course, and I am sure my friends who do this several times a week think they are enjoying their quality of life. Thanks.

@glorth2 - Liked your post. Thanks for the input.

@umuhk - Will be using your tips. Gracias.

Thanks for everyone responses. I do understand that the drinking will stop Ketosis/fat loss and will be treated as "poison" in the system. I was also suprised that I should cut out carbs the next day - it seems these LCB/VLCB when combined with alcohol can really wreck you for a few days and carbs might help out but I will keep that in mind.

My biggest concern is the days it takes for me to start feeling healthy, primal & normal again. I do wait until I'm feeling good until I do physical activity, so maybe I should do that sooner?

PrimalCanuck is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I recommend doing a round of sprints the following morning, but extending your recovery time between sprints slightly. It feels really terrible, but accelerates your recovery substantially. Follow up the sprints with a traditional morning-after-drinking no carb breakfast of sausage and eggs.

It's how I recover quickly from having a bit too much, and I wouldn't do it any other way!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast