Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going primal after gastric bypass page

Valkyrie Wannabe is offline Junior Member

Question Going primal after gastric bypass

Shop Now
    PLEASE don't reply about the horrors of gastric bypass surgery. They are singularly unhelpful to those of us that already had the surgery.

I'm looking for some advice.

My post-surgery body reacts "unfavorably" when I eat too much sugar or fat, yet the moderate-protein, low-carb Primal eating plan means eating lots of fats. For example, I had a beef and blue cheese salad yesterday and it made me queasy.

Anyone have experience with this and found a way around it?

Many thanks!

V.W.

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    Obviously those of us who have not had gastric bypass surgery will have a very different experience to the primal foods we eat than you will (there is already plenty of variety in responses between primals without having had such surgery). Therefore, only those who have had the surgery and have also gone primal will have "helpful" advice.

I think it may be difficult for you to follow a fully primal diet without a full stomach to digest with but that is mere speculation on my part.

Good luck with your post surgery and I hope you find your optimal health.
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried taking a lipase digestive enzyme? Do you still have your gallbladder?

I had the vertical sleeve gastrectomy, so no re-routing. I have MAJOR problems with grains and sugar. I don't "dump," but I get heart palpitations and feel incredibly anxious, irritable, and jumpy when I eat grains/sugar. Sometimes I also have a queasy feeling with fats, too. I still have my gallbladder, but there's been questions about how well it works.

If I were you, I would try a lipase enzyme and see if it helps. I have had bad reactions to digestive enzymes in the past, but I have linked that to cellulase enzymes (I think). And from what I can find, a reaction to this is really rare. I found an enzyme called "Lypo Gold" from Enzymedica and it doesn't have the cellulase in it, but it has enzymes for protein, fat, and starch I think. Amazon has a good price on it right now. I'm going to try it and pray it helps. I just ordered it and can't wait to try it. Hopefully it will help.

Good luck to you. Please PM me if you need support. It's hard to go through this post-WLS.

Btw, when did you have your surgery?

Shannon

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonPA-S View Post
    I have MAJOR problems with grains and sugar. I don't "dump," but I get heart palpitations and feel incredibly anxious, irritable, and jumpy when I eat grains/sugar.
    This sounds awfully like problems from low magnesium. Have you tried transdermal magnesium ("magnesium oil") to get around this? Both the palpitations and the anxiety often resolve promptly with enough magnesium. Also be sure you aren't dehydrated, which would make the palpitations worse.

I can't take mag by mouth -- lots of intestinal distress and diarrhea -- so it was very good to find out about the magnesium oil. (It's really a brine of magnesium chloride, not an oil.) You can rub it into your skin (the more skin the better) and then rinse it off a half hour or more later, or you can soak your feet in a solution of it, or you can add lots of it to a bath, the way you would Epsom salts. It is better absorbed than Epsom salts, but if you don't have the mag chloride, you can still get some magnesium into your system by soaking in a bath with lots of Epsom salts, cheap and readily available. I believe I read that warm water will work better than hot water for this.

I don't know about the lipase and the gallbladder -- good luck with it.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had WLS, but I have had some mysterious gastro problems (tests are negative) that are resolved by eating low fat when the attacks occur and only moderate fat the rest of the time.

I have no problem remaining primal and have lose weight well with this WOE.

I eat mainly fish, bison, egg whites and veggies. I have no sugar or even artificial sweeteners. For a 'treat,' I'll have some nuts or a teasp. of almond butter.

I use EVOO sparingly when I'm doing 'moderate.'

I think you can adjust to the level of fat you can tolerate and do well eating primal.

You don't need a gall bladder to digest the fats in milk.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    This sounds awfully like problems from low magnesium. Have you tried transdermal magnesium ("magnesium oil") to get around this? Both the palpitations and the anxiety often resolve promptly with enough magnesium. Also be sure you aren't dehydrated, which would make the palpitations worse.

I can't take mag by mouth -- lots of intestinal distress and diarrhea -- so it was very good to find out about the magnesium oil. (It's really a brine of magnesium chloride, not an oil.) You can rub it into your skin (the more skin the better) and then rinse it off a half hour or more later, or you can soak your feet in a solution of it, or you can add lots of it to a bath, the way you would Epsom salts. It is better absorbed than Epsom salts, but if you don't have the mag chloride, you can still get some magnesium into your system by soaking in a bath with lots of Epsom salts, cheap and readily available. I believe I read that warm water will work better than hot water for this.
    It's funny you mention this. I just started the magnesium oil. I rub it on and wait at least 20-30 minutes before showering (according to the bottle). Is it better to soak in it? I have a small tub and don't really take baths, so I'm hoping the oil rubbed on will be effective. I pretty much know I'm very magnesium deficient, but the palpitations just started 3 weeks ago. So I'm supplementing. I also take oral supplementation. I'm going to try the Jigsaw Health SRT type. I've used that successfully in the past.

Hi Shannon. I'll look into the digestive enzymes. Thanks!

Alas, no gallbladder. Too many low calorie diets gave me gall stones.

Heart palpitations and queasiness? Sounds like my dumping. I had the syndrome after my gall bladder removal, well before stomach surgery. None of my doctors had any idea what was wrong. It wasn't until I started researching gastric bypass surgery that I realized what had been happening.

I had my bypass in December 2001. Went from 325 to 215 pounds in two years, then started regaining. In December 2008 I weighed 262. I started going to Overeaters Anonymous and have lost 80 pounds (the 50 I had re-gained and 30 more). At age 51, I'm back to my high school weight for the first time. I'm still technically obese but very close to the Overweight category.

White flour also caused me heart palpitations. I used to have them every night as I tried to get to sleep. I figured they were part of my anxiety/panic problems. But when I started Atkins, they magically went away. I had been assuaging bedtime hunger with a few saltines. Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I haven't had WLS, but I have had some mysterious gastro problems (tests are negative) that are resolved by eating low fat when the attacks occur and only moderate fat the rest of the time.
    Thanks, emmie. I think moderating fats is exactly what I'll have to do. I'm glad it's working for you. Do you know what your protein:fat:carb ratios are? Do you replace fats with more protein or carbs?

V.W.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    VW-

I don't track ratios, but because I'm post-menopausal and hypothyroid, I have to eat very low calorie. I focus on getting sufficient protein, and I find that with the fat in my meat or fish, or some additional EVOO for my salad or veggies, that's all the fat I need. There are days when I have almost zero carbs, and I rarely go over 30g carbs for a day. I try to keep blood sugar stable with no more than 10-12g of carbs at any one meal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast