Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going primal after gastric bypass page 3

geokatgirl is offline Junior Member
    Love that I found this thread.. I am 2.7 months out after RNY, and after losing 175 lbs, about 10 lbs have crept back on.. I am fighting to keep things under wraps..

Glad to see there are other people seeing a mess of this lifestyle, exercise, and no-sugar/carbs post WLS

meeshar is offline Senior Member

Awesome!

I'm thrilled to see others chiming in. I had RNY gastric bypass almost 7 years ago, lost 130 lbs, my gallbladder, and have been on a weight gain/loss and health problem rollercoaster ever since. The only time I really felt well after my surgery was the first year when I was strictly following the post-surgery diet (no bread, rice, sugar). Then I started to head below my goal weight, and my surgeon recommended adding "healthy carbs" (i.e. whole grains). Next thing I knew, I was horribly ill for 3 months while it took 3 gastroenterologists to diagnose me with an ulcer and a small bowel bacterial overgrowth (blind loop syndrome specifically). I also suffered from reactive hypoglycemia almost constantly--I thought I was eating correctly, but have noticed even now if I cheat just a little I'm on a blood sugar rollercoaster for the rest of the day. I almost felt drunk after eating grains, and would often ask my husband to drive after eating out.

Primal Blueprint has been the best thing to happen to me--a complete life changer. While it's hard to say that I wish I hadn't have had surgery (it did resolve my hypertension, cholesterol, knee problems, fertility problems, sleep apnea, etc.) I wish I'd known about and tried this before I had my surgery.

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie Wannabe View Post
    PLEASE don't reply about the horrors of gastric bypass surgery. They are singularly unhelpful to those of us that already had the surgery.

I'm looking for some advice.

My post-surgery body reacts "unfavorably" when I eat too much sugar or fat, yet the moderate-protein, low-carb Primal eating plan means eating lots of fats. For example, I had a beef and blue cheese salad yesterday and it made me queasy.

Anyone have experience with this and found a way around it?

Many thanks!

V.W.
    Hey! Welcome. I've had a gastric bypass too and one thing to consider is that it might have been the cheese, not the fat content. My advice is to start slow and work up to getting what is called for in the PB. I'm finding that I do best with 60-65% of my calories from fat every day but they get snuck in. Salmon, eggs, avacado, nice fatty pieces of chuck roast (helps the protein go down without liquids - which is important for people like us who aren't supposed to drink during meals) You'll be amazed soon enough at how quickly you get full with the fat. I can eat produce until the cows come home and feel no restriction but eating healthy, rich foods gets me there fast. Even with PB you kind of have to be cognizant of slider foods.

Anthrocavedude is offline Junior Member
    Hello,

I had the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in February 2009 and started Primal/Paleo in September 2011. Before Primal, I was very diligent with my eating (even though it was CW) because I was determined to make the most out of my bypass surgery and not sabotage it.

I find that I have dumping problems on oil/fats if they are processed, like in a restaurant where it's re-used oil.

I don't seem to have a problem eating chicken skin, beef, bacon, nuts, seeds, avocados, salmon, etc.

Melted butter hasn't been a problem like when I've dipped lobster in it, or when I've eaten escargot.

I DO have a problem sometimes when the fat is mixed with a sugar. For example, some ribs I have trouble eating because the fat from the ribs is mixed with the sugars from the BBQ sauce. I also love Korean BBQ, but sometimes I get queasy because the meats are marinated in sugar. Then, when its cooked, the hot fat mixes with the marinade.

The sugar mixed with fat is probably why many post-op folks have dumping syndrome from ice cream. If I ever treat myself to ice cream (and that's RARE), it's a sugar-free ice cream and even then I can only have a few spoons before I toss the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrocavedude View Post
    Hello,

I had the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in February 2009 and started Primal/Paleo in September 2011. Before Primal, I was very diligent with my eating (even though it was CW) because I was determined to make the most out of my bypass surgery and not sabotage it.

I find that I have dumping problems on oil/fats if they are processed, like in a restaurant where it's re-used oil.

I don't seem to have a problem eating chicken skin, beef, bacon, nuts, seeds, avocados, salmon, etc.

Melted butter hasn't been a problem like when I've dipped lobster in it, or when I've eaten escargot.

I DO have a problem sometimes when the fat is mixed with a sugar. For example, some ribs I have trouble eating because the fat from the ribs is mixed with the sugars from the BBQ sauce. I also love Korean BBQ, but sometimes I get queasy because the meats are marinated in sugar. Then, when its cooked, the hot fat mixes with the marinade.

The sugar mixed with fat is probably why many post-op folks have dumping syndrome from ice cream. If I ever treat myself to ice cream (and that's RARE), it's a sugar-free ice cream and even then I can only have a few spoons before I toss the rest.
    I just had a reminder of the bad fat scenario, and it's so much clearer to me now because it had been a while since I last had a bad fat. I was at a restaurant and ordered a steak and steamed broccoli. Knowing the broccoli really needed butter, plus the steak was a pretty lean cut, I ordered a side of butter. They brought out "melted butter" but I knew (unfortunately after I had poured it on my food) from the first bite that it was in no way butter. I looked in the cup--melted butter is not uniformly cloudy. ::sigh:: Sure enough, I was in the toilet for quite a while after we got home. :/ I can cook almost everything in bacon grease, tallow, butter, or olive oil at home and not "dump", yet if I'm "good" at a restaurant (like the steak, or grilled chicken, etc.) I get the runs? It's pretty obvious to me now. I think that dumping off of fats is a gastric bypass myth--our altered intestines are looking for the good fats, and the bad ones just run right through.

kathytnt is offline Junior Member
    I think I found a home!!! I have my RNY in February of 1998. Please feel free to add me to your friends list and is there a Gastric Bypass or Weight loss Surgery group - Not just this thread??

Quote Originally Posted by kathytnt View Post
    I think I found a home!!! I have my RNY in February of 1998. Please feel free to add me to your friends list and is there a Gastric Bypass or Weight loss Surgery group - Not just this thread??
    I've been thinking about starting one, what category do you think it should be under?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I think you should put it under Success Stories, personally. You know, so that you guys can both advise and share success.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    wghjkt6
    No, I don't know my 'ratios.' I focus on getting sufficient protein, and I eat very low carb (about 20g). I eat fatty fish (like salmon) and I use as much fat as I can tolerate--which is very moderate.

Because of age and medical issues, I need to eat low calorie and low carb, but I also find that I thrive on this WOE.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sorry it took me so long, but I did finally start a thread on Success Stories! Here's a link: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post814845

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123