Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Julia Child's Birthday - what's your fav Julia recipe? page

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member

Julia Child's Birthday - what's your fav Julia recipe?

Primal Fuel
    So tomorrow is Julia Child's birthday and we're having a dinner in honour of the renowned chef at my house tomorrow. Now while she wasn't necessarily primal, I'd say she was often on the right track!

Julia Child: "I think it's terrible what fear of fat has done to a lot of our industries. They have ruined the beef industry. We now have second class beef. Only two per cent of our beef is prime, and it's all because of these 'fear of fat people'. They don't want to eat a marbled steak, so it means that the beef has very little flavor any more. It's really something. A lot of people will say, 'oh, I don't like beef very much anyway' and no wonder, because they've ruined it."

Q: What about pork?

Julia: "And they've ruined pork as well."

Jacques Pepin: "When I first came to this country [from France] people liked butter on their bread, and it was fine. Now we are 30% fatter than we were then. After 15 years of torture and total obsession about fat, we are 30% fatter."

Julia (describing a TV interview with a "diet expert"): "He was one of those diet doctors who didn't eat any fat at all...he was a yellowish greenish looking man. He died fairly early...if he'd had a decent meal or two, he might still be around....The thing is: Don't pay any attention to those people at all."

So I was wondering if folks had any favourite Julia recipes that are primal, or pretty durned close, that I could use or modify for dinner tomorrow?

Thank you, and Bon Appetit !

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Awesome lady and sadly missed. Boeuf Bourguignon comes to mind first and although not a recipe per say, her method for cooking an omelette rocks this world!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Her Boeuf Bourguignon made me a lover of beef stew, rather than a hater. <3 I first made a hollandaise from her recipe, and immediately wept at the magnificence that could be created from butter, egg yolks and lemon juice...

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Oh yes, I don't know where I'd be in the kitchen without having learned to make bachemel, hollandaise, and demi-glace sauces from Julia

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I did intend to make the Beef Bourguignon but the recipe seems to be so complicated, and it is supposed to be one of the easy ones. Seems like a lot of steps ... like boiling the bacon.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    all i know is that when i eat butter, i think of julia! i eat a lot of butter people;-)
    sounds like fun though
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Oh KestrelSF, it is worth it. Worth every seemingly tedious step.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    Supremes de Volaille aux Champignons
(Chicken Breasts with Mushroom and Cream)

4 supremes (boneless, skinless chicken breasts)

1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon salt

Big pinch white pepper

5 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon minced shallot or green onion

1/4 pound diced or sliced fresh mushrooms

1/8 teaspoon salt

For the sauce:
1/4 cup white or brown stock or canned beef bouillon

1/4 cup port

1 cup whipping cream

Salt and pepper

2 tablespoons minced parsley

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Rub the chicken breasts with drops of lemon juice and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Heat the butter in a heavy, oven-proof casserole, about 10 inches in diameter until it is foaming. Stir in the minced shallots or green onion and saute a moment without browning. Then stir in the mushrooms and saute lightly for a minute or two without browning. Sprinkle with salt.

Quickly roll the chicken in the butter mixture and lay a piece of buttered wax paper over them, cover casserole and place in hot oven. After 6 minutes, press top of chicken with your finger. If still soft, return to oven for a moment or two. When the meat is springy to the touch it is done. Remove the chicken to a warm platter (leave mushrooms in the pot) and cover while making the sauce (2 to 3 minutes).

To make sauce, pour the stock and wine in the casserole with the booking butter and mushrooms. Boil down quickly over high heat until liquid is syrupy. Stir in the cream and boil down again over high heat until cream has thickened slightly. Off heat, taste for seasoning, and add drops of lemon juice to taste. Pour the sauce over the chicken, sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.

Serves 4.

Source: “Mastering the Art of French Cooking” by Julia Child (Knopf, 1961)

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    There is an Ina Garten beef bourgignon recipe that is simplified from Julia's original. I remember reading somewhere that Ina's inspiration came from Julia. The key is to saute the mushrooms separately (in butter of course). Julia also has a great poached salmon. You could make a simple steamed mussel dish, when I read her biography, My Life in France, one of the images that stays with me was her first meal where she learned to use a mussel shell as a set of tweezers to remove the other mussels.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LX View Post
    Oh yes, I don't know where I'd be in the kitchen without having learned to make bachemel, hollandaise, and demi-glace sauces from Julia
    Same here! LOVE her hollandaise and bechamel sauces (even though I don't have the bechamel now because of the white flour). I also learned how to saute mushrooms properly because of Julia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast