Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: alternatives to Vibrams? page 3

Geoff is offline Member

Primal Fuel

Maba -

We're a "barefoot in the house" family too! I am a big fan of Five Fingers, and wear them when I go in public places - there are a lot of hazards to be found and it's impossible to spot them all. Remember Rule #9 (Avoid Trauma). I don't want to step on broken glass or any other dangerous hazzard underfoot. When I need a less casual shoe than Five Fingers (or when I am working a more technical trail) I wear Nike Free 3.0. If I need a "business" shoe then I wear what the occasion requires, chalk it up to the 80/20 rule and get out of the bad shoes as soon as I can.

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

I guess I just try to keep my bare-footing to places I'm reasonably sure there will be no broken glass - my own yard, and the parks I go to for hiking and trail running and sprinting.

As far as stones and some pretty pointy roots, you just get used to it.

Also, I noticed that after walking down this one particular rocky creek (6" to 2' deep) I like to walk down (while barefoot), my feet muscles were pretty sore for a couple days. The "baby head" rocks really helped to strengthen those muscles even more than just the running around in bare feet did. But after a couple times, my feet were used to it and they weren't sore anymore.

The trails I go on are usually pretty deserted, but I do pass by others occasionally and they make comments sometimes - it's pretty funny - like "Whoa dude! That's crazy!", "You're really brave.", "No shoes huh?", and my favorite, "See mom! HE doesn't have to wear shoes!"

Oh, something else I noticed since traveling barefoot through the woods, and have confirmed the few times I have gone back to using shoes, the animals and birds are way less "skittish". They either don't run/fly away at all or they only do so when I'm much closer to them. Some, I think it's because I end up sneaking up on them (barefoot is so much quieter), but others do see me and just choose not to bolt.

primal pete is offline Senior Member

I bought a pair of old school chuck taylors for lifting and they are awesome. They have a nice flat hard sole for good "floor grip" when squatting/deadlifting. I've noticed that my feet and ankles have gotten stronger since wearing them over running shoes.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I have a very sensitive, soft skin and would never be able to walk barefoot on a hiking trail. Any little rock or a twig, or whatever, will definitely hurt me big time. It's not just the skin on my feet. It's like that all over my body. My skin is very easy to cut or scrape.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

I've tried barefoot running in socks, seems to help at least a little bit with blistering.

Has anybody tried these? http://www.lunasandals.com/custom-huaraches/10-cu.html Cheaper than most alternatives, although it might be a little inconvenient for those in the north...

Travis G Guest

fitnes spotlight just did a post on this today or yesterday.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Oh, the irony... Still didn't mention anything about those Huaraches though. I'm thinking I should order a pair but would appreciate a second opinion

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123