Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: alternatives to Vibrams? page 2

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Has anybody tried running in Converse shoes? My PT reccomended them to me, but I thought that the sole was too sturdy to be qualified as "barefoot running"...

The Vibrams were incredibly weird to wear. But if they were half their original price, I would probably have to buy them.

I thought that the next best thing to Vibrams would be running in several layers of socks. As long as I wore enough heavy pairs, usually three, and only ran about 1/4 mile, it was alright. Much more fun running without shoes! Especially with the ipod going, oh man, it was a party haha!

maurile is offline Senior Member

I just got my Vibram Fivefingers today, but I've been wearing Vivo Barefoot for about a month and my Achilles have *finally* just started to get less sore. Walking in barefoot-simulating shoes definitely works foot muscles that aren't necessarily used to being worked.

maurile is offline Senior Member

As far as alternatives to Vibram Fivefingers go, I like my Vivo Barefoot shoes a lot, but I got the Dharma style and wouldn't wear them for anything too active. They are really just casual wear. I don't think I'd want to sprint in them.

I haven't tried Nike Free, but that may be an alternative that's at least better than most athletic shoes.

maba is offline Senior Member

I wore my Vibrams today to go walking with my walking group and I could barely walk for 100 yards. My feet were killing me, the back of the shoes were pressing against my achilles tendon and I had to give up on the walk. It's funny because I wore them yesterday and walked for a hour and it was fine, there was some pressure at the back but it wasn't painful. Anyone know why this happens?

*Bump*

AndreaC is offline Member

Which vibramsdo you have? Can you adjust the back maybe? It could be a temperature/time of day size difference in your feet.

I bought Sprints a size larger than I'd technically need so I could leave them a little loose. I don't have any problems with them not staying put on my feet and they don't choke my achilles.

I know that doesn't help you now though.

I had some problems with them being a little uncomfortable when wearing them for more than 45 minutes so I started using Body Glide on my feet. (It's a runner/triathlete thing, basically a giant chapstick)

Maybe if you use it reduce the friction there it won't be so annoying?

Thanks Andrea. I have Sprints. The pain was so bad, I gave up after walking to the front door of my office building. I was at my desk for about 3 hours before that, so may be the inactivity resulted in water-retention, don't know. Will try applying some vaseline next time.

Geoff is offline Member

One other thing to consider that hasn't been touched on yet. The best alternative to Vibram is...barefoot! Yep, get your bare naked tootsies out into the light as much as possible. Should be easy to do at home. Use a little more care in the yard. Proceed with extreme caution when you enter into public areas (Grok didn't have to deal with broken glass or smoldering cigarette butts.) Depending on your work situation, you might be able to go (somewhat) barefoot in the office too.

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

I'm with Geoff! I started hiking and trail-running/sprinting barefoot this year. At first, I could only do it for half a mile before I'd put my shoes back on to finish (I just carried them with me). But after a few times, I was able to go barefoot for however long I was out. It took a few more times before the gravel road sections didn't "smart".

I only do it once a week, but I'm sure if I could find the time for 2-3 times a week, my feet would uber-tough in no time.

Geoff & NeoPaleo, I'm always barefooted at home, we even ask our guests to get barefooted, hahaha - well, actually it's a cultural thing, kind of like that Korean former-girlfriend of Frank Costanza's in Seinfeld but I digress. I wear flat sandals to work and when I'm at my desk I remove them and have many times walked barefooted w/o realizing. But I need to get used to the idea of walking barefooted on craggy trails. How do you deal with stones, glass, metal scraps etc while walking barefooted?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast