Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Bane's Quest For Fire page

Bane is offline Senior Member

Bane's Quest For Fire

Shop Now
    Well, I'm a few months late starting this, but I think I'll start one anyway to chronicle the second phase of my Caveman Conversion.

As a starting point, I thought I'd post a little bit of a diary I found on my computer from last year. It was pretty much how most of my "get in shape" quests went in years past:

May 18/09

198.6 lbs @ 23%

July 10/09

196 lbs

holy fuck dude, two months and two pounds. wake up you lazy cu*t and do something about this.

July 20/09

197 lbs

just got back from holidays, fat and fucking gross. today is the day. no beer, low carbs, eating TOTALLY CLEAN for the next 4 weeks. goal is to lose 15 pounds. would take me to 182 by Aug 20

Aug 17/09

194.2lbs @ 26.2%

jesus christ.

September 4/09

too fat to be bothered weighing. holy shit.

anyway, Darren and I have both signed up memberships at gyms. I start on Tuesday (holiday Mon) to the gym with Kevin. This is absolutely the last fucking straw, and I will do this.
    LOL

Anyway, from Aug 17 at 194, my fitness and eating plan took me to just over 200 pounds by the end of 2009. Hell of a program.

Well after about 6 months of doing the caveman thing, which is 4 months longer than I've ever managed to keep to any kind of eating or fitness plan, I've lost 34 pounds and feel better than I have in years, going from 201 to 167. I'm surprised how easy this has been, with fat melting off me even at 36 years old. I'm in better shape than I was in my twenties.

So my plan is to continue with the eating plan, and ramp up my workouts a little bit, in hopes of putting on some more muscle. I'm in no rush though, and I don't want to do a "mass cycle" or anything like that - I want to keep the bodyfat in check during this.

So anyway, this will be mostly a workout and food log for me I guess, something I can look back on. Of course if I get some comments and advice mixed in as well, I would love it.

GRRRRRRRRR. CAVEMAN PHASE TWO NOW START. HMMMPH. RRRR.

XYZ
    XYZ is offline Senior Member
    Dude, the changes you made in those 6 months were pretty incredible. Posting your journal is great. It lets people see that everyone sturggles at some point. Reading your entries, I could have been reading the same type of stuff I told myself everytime I tried to get back in shape.

Keep up the great work!

Yesterday was a great day food-wise, not so amazing booze-wise, but overall pretty decent.

Breakfast: Coffee with 2 tbsp whipping cream.

Lunch: 4 scrambled eggs fried in 1/2 tbsp coconut oil and maybe 10g of shredded cheddar, 3 slices of bacon (It was all that was left in the house. Note to self: BUY BACON!!)

Supper: A massive plate full of pork back ribs and a large chicken breast. I put 4 or 5 small florets of broccoli on there for colour. I don't know how many ribs there were in total, they were all pre-cut into 2 or 3 rib pieces, but I ate tons. At least a full rack, probably more. My plate was just heaping with bones, and everyone was making fun of my plate. "Hey, I think you might have missed a rib there." ha ha ha - I didn't care, I'd just laugh and grab another rib. Hell when everyone was eating desserts I grabbed another rib out of the ziploc bag on the counter. I passed on the lemon meringue pie and ice cream.

I took my kids to a birthday party at the rink, so I got an hour of skating in which was different in the summer. This also meant I had to pass on pizza, cake, cupcakes, and chips. Big tests today for my willpower.

My one downfall was having some drinks. I had 3 Bud Lights before supper, then about 4 whiskeys after that. Not something I want to do all the time, but it was Saturday, and we were visiting some family that we hadn't seen for 6 months. I'll put that into the 20%, and I don't feel too badly about it because my diet was 100% tight for the entire day.

Workout for the day: not really a workout, but I decided it was pushup day. Randomly throughout the day I would drop for a set. The first few were max sets, and the final 8 sets or so were kept to 20 or 25 reps. I like days like that once in a while.

All in all, not too shabby for a summer Saturday.
    Last edited by Bane; 08-15-2010 at 08:07 AM.

BeagleMan is offline Senior Member
    When I grow up I want to be able to do 20 push ups in a set.

Soon, grasshopper!

It's a good thing my diet is kept tighter than my journal updating!

Workouts have been random and spread out through the day, decent amount of work done, but no conditioning benefits of course. I've been having "Days". Saturday was Pushup Day. I did sets randomly through the whole day. 10, 12, 14 sets, I can't remember. Sunday was pullup day. Same thing, random sets all day.

On Monday I unloaded 12 skids of boxes by hand, so I counted that as my move around and lift crap workout for the day.

Yesterday I did 2 sets of pull-ups while at the park with my kids. Was also trying to show the kids how to do cartwheels and backwards somersaults, and we were all running around barefoot. They love doing that now. Also did a 15 minute session in the garage with this 50 pound bundle of moving blankets that I have - it came bound really tight, and I wrapped it in duct tape too. Lifting it overhead, throwing in down as hard as I can, doing some squats while bear hugging it, and just heaving it back and forth. Pretty fun and functional.

The diet has been pretty tight. Monday ended up being Mexican day somehow. Was going to fast Monday, but I got a call from a buddy I haven't been out with in a long time and he wanted to hit a patio for lunch. It was really hot so I decided to go, and had a couple of light beers with a taco salad - I didn't touch the edible bowl though. Then when I got home my wife had bought taco stuff, so I made those for supper, but ate mostly filling and just a couple of shells. Lots of hamburger, tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, and some sour cream and cheddar.

Yesterday I managed a few pieces of bacon in the morning as a snack, for lunch I had a few eggs in coconut oil and a plate of leftover chicken, and for supper I ate a shit ton of ground beef. We cooked up a 857g package of meat, added in a few cups of tomato sauce and spices, and had that with pasta and garlic bread. Of course I just ate the meat sauce on a plate with parmesan. After my wife and girls each took their little scoop of sauce, I ate the rest of it, probably 1 1/3 pounds of beef. It was delicious. Washed it down with a Liquid Fat Bomb for good measure.

I also got chewed out a bit by my wife, she asked me if I was ever going to eat normally again. I told her no, not completely back to how I used to eat. Ever. She complained about some meals she thinks she can't cook anymore, and how I never just eat anything bad. She can't have ice cream after supper or eat a chocolate bar because she feels like a pig doing it now, since I never join her. I do have things like that, just not often, and obviously not often enough for her. Argh. Frustrating. I try to tell her that I feel better when I don't eat that kind of stuff, but it's not an argument I can win. I'll just keep doing my thing and let it work itself out.

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    Oh man. So you go from poofy (no offense) to ripped and the woman who sleeps beside you is complaining about it because she can't have her ice cream? That's rough. I would have no idea what to do about that, so won't even try. OK, maybe just a little one... would a jaw-dropping stare at every lean hot woman who passed by when you were together jeopardize your relationship? If so, forget it, bad idea. The whole relationships thing around the PB is very strange; you might have seen the other 'vent' thread.

Anyway also wanted to let you know that someone is reading your journal. And I really like your honest style, keep it up.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    She complained about some meals she thinks she can't cook anymore, and how I never just eat anything bad. She can't have ice cream after supper or eat a chocolate bar because she feels like a pig doing it now, since I never join her. I do have things like that, just not often, and obviously not often enough for her. Argh. Frustrating. I try to tell her that I feel better when I don't eat that kind of stuff, but it's not an argument I can win. I'll just keep doing my thing and let it work itself out.
    I would simply reassure her with something like:
    Honey, you are free to fix anything you want for dinner. I'll just cook for myself if I want something else.
    Feel free to have your nightly ice cream, chocolate, or whatever, if that's what you want . Everyone must choose what's right for their body.

I love you. The food choices I am making are what is best for my body. I am sure I'll eat certain foods on occasion but this is MY new normal. I'd appreciate your understanding and would love your support.

I'd really like it if we could do this together. However, I love you and respect your right to make different food choices.

TAWFUNGUY is offline Senior Member
    Great advice!!!

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I would simply reassure her with something like:
    Honey, you are free to fix anything you want for dinner. I'll just cook for myself if I want something else.
    Feel free to have your nightly ice cream, chocolate, or whatever, if that's what you want . Everyone must choose what's right for their body.

I love you. The food choices I am making are what is best for my body. I am sure I'll eat certain foods on occasion but this is MY new normal. I'd appreciate your understanding and would love your support.

I'd really like it if we could do this together. However, I love you and respect your right to make different food choices.
    A+ advice! Bane, I think you're doing awesome!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Nice journal man, keep it up. I have dealt with complaints on the food front too, and I find it hard to see the validity of the other side of that argument. "So, you'd like me to eat this food which makes me fat and sick so that you feel better about eating it?" "You liked me better 8 months ago than now, overall? Because the food and the bod go together."
    I like the idea of "days" that's great.

Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast