Page 38 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: Bane's Quest For Fire page 38

Monty is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Bane, those wings and burgers are the best. I've been eating my fair share of baby chickens these days, thanks to the cooling rack cooking tip. Congrats on your progress and keep up the good work.

timersprimal is offline Junior Member
    Bane,

If you had to guess at how many carbs you were eating a day on the Whole 30 challenge, what would you say? It seemed like you just ate beef, bacon and chicken wings? Did you have any consistent fruit or veggies, and did you continue with any of the liquid fat bombs?

Your progress is impressive, and though I've lost a nice 15 lbs since going paleo in the last 2 months, Id like to kick things into a different gear and really get serious on the nutrition side with additional weight loss and leaning out the goal.

Any tips/suggestions you have are appreciated.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I've been on the "Paleo see-food + milk" (If you see anything resembling food, eat it) diet since starting Starting Strength, and liquid calories are where it's at. I've gained ten pounds I think, I don't think much of it is fat though. Some, for sure - pants are a tad tighter. I do a liquid fat bomb thing + whey powder and a banana for a PWO pick me up, and I can usually eat a big meal within 1/2 hr afterwards. Given your demonstrated ridiculously good genes, you'll probably be looking like Lou Ferrigno by spring if you really pick up the heavy things and keep upping your calories man.
    10 pounds? Nice! I'd be happy with a nice, slow 10 pound weight gain while keeping fat at bay. I have my Hawaii trip in just over 9 weeks and really want to be as close to my current level of leanness as possible. So I think I'll be upping my calories to around a 2800-3000 daily average, and upping the training, seeing how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Bane, those wings and burgers are the best. I've been eating my fair share of baby chickens these days, thanks to the cooling rack cooking tip. Congrats on your progress and keep up the good work.
    Thanks, man! Glad you're enjoying the food. You can easily base your diet around those 2 foods, add in some good veggies and some fruit, and you're golden. That's my completely uneducated opinion, of course. Grain of salt and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by timersprimal View Post
    Bane,

If you had to guess at how many carbs you were eating a day on the Whole 30 challenge, what would you say? It seemed like you just ate beef, bacon and chicken wings? Did you have any consistent fruit or veggies, and did you continue with any of the liquid fat bombs?

Your progress is impressive, and though I've lost a nice 15 lbs since going paleo in the last 2 months, Id like to kick things into a different gear and really get serious on the nutrition side with additional weight loss and leaning out the goal.

Any tips/suggestions you have are appreciated.
    Actually, I probably ate more fruit and nuts on Whole30 than I did in the couple months leading up to it, to be honest. I completely quit worrying about carbs, calories, etc while on it, and just made sure I ate good, whole food. I also ate more yams during that month than usual, AND I worked out less. I'm still kind of in shock that I lost the 11 pounds, honestly.

Thinking back though, I'd say my carbs were still around 100g or less a day. I probably had my share of sub 50g days, but I bet I averaged around 75 maybe? Kind of guessing here.

I did pretty much eat only between noon and 8-9pm, if that helps. Lunch, supper, and a small bedtime snack were pretty regular.

Oh boy. I have been doing tons of pushups and pullups this afternoon/evening. I just did a couple sets of chinups suuuuper sloooow, probably 5 seconds up. Then from the top, I go down so my eye is level with my hands and hold that spot for 5 seconds, then another 5 seconds to lower myself. After already doing several regular sets, I could only manage 6 reps of these wicked slow ones. 5 in set 2. But wow, my arms are on fire and pumping up like mad after these slow ones. It's like I could do 6-7 sets of regular old chins and not really "feel" it after. Not so with these slow babies.

BTW, did you know that blasting some old school Aldo Nova during clapping pushups helps you get more reps? It's a fact.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    Oh boy. I have been doing tons of pushups and pullups this afternoon/evening. I just did a couple sets of chinups suuuuper sloooow, probably 5 seconds up. Then from the top, I go down so my eye is level with my hands and hold that spot for 5 seconds, then another 5 seconds to lower myself. After already doing several regular sets, I could only manage 6 reps of these wicked slow ones. 5 in set 2. But wow, my arms are on fire and pumping up like mad after these slow ones. It's like I could do 6-7 sets of regular old chins and not really "feel" it after. Not so with these slow babies.

BTW, did you know that blasting some old school Aldo Nova during clapping pushups helps you get more reps? It's a fact.
    Funny, I just gave Lojasmo the same advice. I guess it's a popular one!

And F-you for losing weight while eating without worrying about it. Worrying about everything you eat is where it's at you jerk.

BeagleMan is offline Senior Member
    I remember when you said you couldn't do a single pull up. Scary how that's changed. I've had some shoulder issues when I do pushups, so I'm going to focus on the pull up bar. My shoulder holds up better...although I can't do an actual pull up yet. I will dammit!!!

I'm also going to do what you are doing....just stop and do some sort of exercise at various points in my day.

at 160 lbs, you should be able to do the one arm pull ups. Dont be a pussy and use two arms!

Oh man, I think it would take me another year to do a one arm pullup - if I specifically trained for it, that is. With my once in a while training habits it'll probably be 3-4 years before I can do half a rep.

Maybe I'll try doing some controlled negatives. It's been ages since I've even done a one arm hang, but I think I'll try it out soon just for kicks.

Yeah, keep working on it man, it's pretty hard to get going at the start. You're pulling 245 right now, and I was just over 200 when I started... but then again you're backing much more muscle than I am, so you should be able to get yourself up with some work. Rock those negatives and horizontal pullups.

I'd like to be like this freak of nature one day:

Last edited by Bane; 12-08-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Guys, be careful of one arm independent work it can wreak your elbows. I attended Al Kavadlo's bootcamp and he had us go through monkey bars with one arm, forwards and back, then as an added challenge he said to bring your knees up (less swing from your legs makes it tougher to go from bar to bar or at least thats what I assume) nobody else tried it but me and I was successful but for 3-4 days after that my elbows were very sore and I couldn't even manage to do push ups. I should've been more careful, it's definitely not Al's fault.

I can do pull ups and chin ups, up to almost 20 now but one arm work is just very different and the pressure it puts on your joins is much more serious. You also can't recruit your back as much as with two handed work, not to mention the lack of stability. Work on towel assisted one arm chin ups and such if you like. Going straight up one arm invites injury. Check out my video hahaha I can't believe I just said that.

And that dude is AWESOME. Here's another video of not just awesome one arm work but awesomeness overall.

The awesome starts at 1:30

cheapo is offline Senior Member
    Those monkey bars would be illegal in the US and Canada!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapo View Post
    Those monkey bars would be illegal in the US and Canada!
    I'm so jealous of them! They literally have adult playgrounds. I wonder if it's like a remnant of Soviet/Communist stuff? make the people stronger or whatever?

Those are so rare in the US.

Page 38 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast