Thread: High Glucose level??? Can't understand why... page

ColoradoGirl is offline Junior Member

Unhappy High Glucose level??? Can't understand why...

Primal Fuel
    Been primal for 8 weeks - 100% on eating plan - with typical high fats from meats, avocados, nuts, etc - good amount of protein, veggies and fruit, but not too much fruit.

Following exercise plan to a tee.

I'm 43, 5'1", 112 lbs.

I have always have quite low (30-40) glucose levels and was told I was prob hypoglycemic...WELL, got my blood taken and to my surprise my glucose level was 122 .....

Has anyone else experienced this after starting Primal lifestyle??

Thx!

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    This probably is way out in left field but, there has been some research regarding an enzyme called glycosyltransferase GnT-4a which enables the beta cells in the pancreas to properly sense blood glucose levels. Apparently a diet high in fat can block/interfere with the signaling to those beta cells, which leads to high blood sugar levels.....like I said probably not what's happening, but your blood sugar shouldn't have pre-diabetic levels while on a low carb diet. sorry I couldn't be more help. I would imagine you fasted before getting your blood tested and weren't consuming fruit or anything sweet just before? To be on the safe side I would probably get an A1c blood test done.

http://www.cell.com/retrieve/pii/S0092867405011712
    Last edited by Chefgerry; 08-13-2010 at 09:24 PM.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

979roadrunner is offline Senior Member
    Blood glucose in the 30-40 range are deffinately Hypoglycemic. Normal FASTING blood glucose is between 70-120, and don't sweat anything under 140.
    Fasting means nothing to eat or drink at all for 12 hours, though most won't quibble about some water.
    Sounds to me like going Primal is fixing your Hypoglycemia

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Was it a 12 hr fast with no caffeine before the test? I know caffeine can spike blood sugar....so just thought I would double check.

I would not consider it an issue at this point.......I would say testing it down the road a couple times might not be a bad idea, but a single test with a spike would not be a concern (especially since it is not a huge spike really in the scheme of things).

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget lab error. That can happen often.

tooround is offline Senior Member
    Where did I read that fasting sugars are the last sugars to normalize?
    At least I hope I read that somewhere! The last time I tried mine was 8 which is 144 on your scale. I didn't worry about it because I thought I'd read that fasting sugars are the last to go. BTW hypoglycemia was my thing too.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisous View Post
    Don't forget lab error. That can happen often.
    +1000.

Where did I read that fasting sugars are the last sugars to normalize?
    Anywhere that there is information about diabetes as that is definitely the case.

My dad's is now hanging out around 85-95 but that's taken awhile and if his overnight fast is too long, his bg is up again as the liver pumps out glycogen for gluconeogenesis.

When was yours up? How long was your fast?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

ColoradoGirl is offline Junior Member
    thx guys.....def gonna have it re-taken - appreciate posts!