Thread: My LDL / HDL Levels page

CaptCaveMan is offline Member

Question My LDL / HDL Levels

Hey Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone had some insight.

Went to the Doctor yesterday, got some blood work done, just got a phone call from the MD himself.

He's concerned about my LDL levels.

LDL = 175 ("should be well below 160, preferably below 130")
    HDL = 53
    ("Everything else looks good" - forgot to ask specifics about Tri-levels)

My background:

-30 yr old male
    -6'0 174lbs (before primal +-195lbs)
    -95% Primal since early Spring 2010
    -Usually very active / workout 4-5 days week
    -Suffered a vertebral compression fracture within the last several months and have not worked out since (besides a little hiking)(Feeling much better and expect to make a full recovery)
    -No family history of heart complications (though my paternal grandfather did suffer a fatal heart attack when he was 86yrs old - R.I.P.)

(Doc says I should increase my fruit and veggie intake, minimal red meat, and only lean meats, like pork, chicken, and fish. Oh, ya, no butter or bacon....)

- I'm primal so diet is lots of fruits and veggies, all kinds of meat, cheese, and no real concern for "fat" intake.

Any thoughts!?

Thanks.

-CaptCaveMan

peril is offline Senior Member
    CW is very concerned about LDL. However, most of the research seems to indicate that it is one of the poorest predictors of illness. Given that it usually isn't even measured and the equation used to calculate it is a linear approximation of a non-linear phenomenon, LDL has to be one of the least useful stats your doctor will ever discuss.

You really need to get your triglyceride datum. If it is below 90 you have very little to worry about. Increasing fruit will increase your triglycerides. If you focus on lowering your triglycerides and raising your HDL, the two go together, then you should be OK

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member

CaptCaveMan is offline Member
    Got those numbers finally...

Cholesterol 237 mg/dl
    HDL 53 mg/dl
    LDL 175 mg/dl
    Triglyceride 43 mg/dl

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Looks fine to me. Be sure to be getting enough omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin d, magnesium, and pretty much all other important nutrients for good health. Inflammation (c-reactive protein), blood pressure, fasting insulin, and glycated hemoglobin are all very important measurements too and if you are good on all of them with those lipid numbers you are good. In fact reducing inflammation and getting good nutrition will likely raise your HDL and lower your LDL and trigs. But those are fine anyway.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!