Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allergies Kicking my @ss page

xendaddy is offline Member

Question Allergies Kicking my @ss

Shop Now
    It's ragweed season, and I'm officially miserable. The tiredness from my anti-histamines (Zyrtec, Benadryl) is only slightly more tolerable than the sneezing, coughs, itchy eyes, itchy skin and wheezing from the weed pollen. I've been doing allergy shots for almost two years, but I think this is my worst season ever. Are there any primal techniques I can use to cope with allergies? Any supplements that you would recommend?

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    I can feel you! Wish I could help. I am hoping someone else around here might have an answer. It has been a bad year for sure!

shannon is offline Senior Member
    adrenal fatigue usually ties in with allergies. mine were nasty last summer. this year i am 100% better. i cut out sweet foods (some berries every now and again are okay). i added cod liver oil (a+d), coconut oil and some raw butter. these are the ONLY things that i've done. most important is cutting out sweets. try to keep stress low;-) fats, fats, fats! oh, and absolutely no grains or legumes.
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    As god awful horrible as it is, the neti pot seems to help. As much as I hate using that thing, allergies are just enough worse that I still use it. Allegra and flonase has been an ok combo in the past as far as meds go. I'm in the same boat recently - no shots, but the allergies I thought I had dodged this year showed up this week.

Roo
    Roo is offline Member
    Definitely not primal (but neither is Benadryl!) -- local honey. I take 1 tbsp every day of the year and my seasonal allergies have disappeared. I have gotten other people taking it also, and they have also gotten rid of their allergies. I figure I will gladly take the carbs in honey if I can give up the meds.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I started taking substantial doses of Omega 3 this spring and it's the first year in ages I have taken almost no Claritin. It's really amazing to me -- I take a capsule with breakfast and can feel any congestion/nose runniness go away within about half an hour.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    neti-pot (or some version of it)
    quercetin (500-1000 mg several times per day)
    500 mg vitamin c - divided doses 6x per day (just pop one every few hours....carry them with you)

and really antihistamines are about the most benign medications out there. I wouldn't hestate to use them.

ETA: consider testing D levels as well....25(OH)D. See my linked doc below to find out more.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Barefoot is offline Member
    I've been eating a little raw local honey each day, and I haven't had to take allergy meds at all the last couple years. Maybe not the most primal, but I definitely prefer it to drugs.

If my dust allergy kicks up, which is only when I'm cleaning, the neti pot really helps.

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blank_faceplate View Post
    As god awful horrible as it is, the neti pot seems to help. As much as I hate using that thing.....
    I love using a neti pot. For the first time in 50+ years I can breathe through my nose.
    My seasonal allergies have gotten progressively better over time. I don't know if it's diet or age, perhaps a combination of both.
    My advise would then be to age healthfully--go ahead and give it a try! (-:
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    i love my neti pot. it cut WAY down on my use of antihistimines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast