Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mysterious heel pain..is it workout or diet connected? page

Cassandra is offline Senior Member

mysterious heel pain..is it workout or diet connected?

I looked on past forums and can't find anything out on "heel pains"...
    Has anyone ever had a heel pain (only seems to happen in my left heel) that runs from the front of the heel to the achilles tendon? I'm having pains on days following a lapse in strict paleo diet (read: I had a little bit of wheat or rice). It's so sore walking on it but not pressing on it with my fingers. It's almost like a deep bruise feeling and it's really tight with little flexibility when I'm walking. It is not a constant daily thing and the only connection I can think of is it happening after I eat out. (hard not to eat rice/wheat out) I've had a mild wheat intolerance for a while now, but this is something that has been showing up lately.
    I'm starting to do more squats lately and wondering if it might be something I'm doing wrong. After looking at Mark's video on it, I don't think I'm doing anything wrong in my posture. I did a lot of squats yesterday and the heel feel fine today.

Katt is offline Senior Member
    I have heel pain from plantars fasciitis. What I need to do is slow, careful stretches of the calf as well as ice for inflammation.

Mav3rick is offline Senior Member
    I second the suspicion that it is plantar fasciitis. I believe that it is generally a condition of overuse/inflammation. Maybe after eating out the inflammation is flaring up and causing your pain? At any rate I would definitely work on the stretching out the calves, ankles and the bottom of your feet.

I had an issue with it for awhile when I first got my Vibrams, but it has since gone away with increased ankle mobility.

http://www.plantarfasciitisbraces.co...exercises.html this is pretty much the set of stretches that I did with a few variations.

Also go back and visit Mark's post on ankle mobility if you haven't already. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...nkle-mobility/

Thanks to both of you! I went to the plantar link and that describes exactly what I'm experiencing. I'm always in pain in the morning and it will lessen during the day. I'm used to my feet sometimes swelling a little bit with food allerigies but this just started, so I was thinking it might be food related. Do either of you need that night brace or just the stretching? I will start the stretching today!

mayness is offline Senior Member
    My husband has plantar fasciitis... as long as he keeps up with his stretching, he has hardly any pain. And right now, he wears cheap dress shoes and stands on a cement floor for 7-8 hours a day. =P
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Stretching really seems the best thing for it from what I've just read. I will just start adding the stretches that Mav3rick suggested. It really is painful but it is an odd sensation of pain.

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    I had the same thing for a while, having sharp pain along the back of the left foot and in the heel. It effected me for over a year and it was caused by inflammation. I think it might have been from a lot of sprains in the past. I don't get it anymore after having cut out wheat products permanently. Fasting every once in a while also helps to reduce the inflammation.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Funny, this is something I have had for years, but never gave it a ton of attention. I had so many aches and pains after years of back pain, etc, I just sort of chalked it up to that. I knew I had arch issues, but never tied the two together. It was just that every morning when I would get up, my heels would hurt for awhile. Sometimes a few minutes, sometimes a couple hours.....but it was background noise with all my other issues.

I got vibrams 6 weeks ago, and I have noticed in the last week or two, no pain or almost no pain when I get up in the morning. I have been taking it slow in the VFF's, working up my endurance, but I can definitely tell my ankles, calves, and feet are getting MUCH stronger. I have also been using a lacrosse ball the last week to work out any tightness in the bottom of my foot (standing I roll it under my foot).

I thought that being barefoot around the house and yard all the time was enough....but being able to hike and workout with VFF's has made a GIGANTIC difference in my foot strength. I am finding that my arches hurt far less then they did when I have to wear regular shoes all day. I am excited to see how this progresses as I continue wearing the vibrams more.

@Meadow: I have heard a lot of foot complaints about high arches but not pain like this. Now, I think that there are a lot of people with the same pain! I go barefooted a lot (country girl!) and the first thing I do when I get home is take the shoes off. I'm going to take your advice and get some vibrams. I did a lot of stretching yesterday after reading these and I didn't have any pain this morning.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    I'm having pains on days following a lapse in strict paleo diet (read: I had a little bit of wheat or rice). It's so sore walking on it but not pressing on it with my fingers. It's almost like a deep bruise feeling and it's really tight with little flexibility when I'm walking.

You mentioned it only happens after 'cheat' days? I'd imagine then that it's the inflammation building up over time from the dietary infractions rather than a problem with any workout or paleo related reason.

Fwiw, it's tendonitis and I did have exactly the same thing. Exactly. Left foot too And fwiw, it was when I wasn't working out at all.

It eventually resolved on paleo/primal eating and does flare if I eat crap *or* if I don't get enough sleep for any reason. Sleep is perhaps the best anti-inflammatory out there.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast