Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joint trouble - what to give up first? page

Hilary is online now Senior Member

Joint trouble - what to give up first?

Primal Fuel
    OK, so I'm 37, and while joints periodically ache or crack, they're not deformed and don't stop me doing anything - apart from my right big toe. It's hurt, on and off, for almost a decade. Since going Primal, I've noticed the joint at the base of the toe is visibly 'arthritically' swollen. I get pain fairly regularly in that and the mid-toe joint.

I say I've noticed the deformity since going Primal, because it's also since then I've started going barefoot and wearing sandals! So I don't know for sure whether the change in diet has caused a change for the worse, or if this is just general progression that I'm noticing more because I'm moving more.

But could it be because I gave up grains? Started eating meat, and more protein generally? Started exercising?

And to tackle it, what do I change first? I could...
    • give up red meat
    • cut back on protein
    • give up nightshades
    • give up dairy
    • change to raw or goat's dairy

Not that I want to do any of these, but I do still want to be able to walk on this in another 10 or 20 years' time. (Not to mention taking my weight on my toes now for press-ups etc.)

I could start trying things from the list at random - but some knowledgeable advice would be really welcome. Thank you!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Do NOT give up red meat. Red meat is important - eat more of it. Don't cut back on protein, either.

Giving up grains should have improved your pain generally. If it's just the one joint, the single toe - have a doctor take a look at it. To me it sounds like it's broken, or been broken and healed badly. I doubt it has anything to do with diet.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Thanks, Griff.

No, not a break - I know what you mean, I have a finger that was broken when I was a teenager, and that's starting to become a royal pain now (I'm a 'cellist). This is different - started 10 years back with blinding pain in both big toes after walking too far in the wrong kind of shoes. At the time, the doctor said this was just normal ageing (I was under 30 and could hardly walk); I solved the problem at the time with a change of shoes and some essential oils and haven't mentioned it to a doctor since. Could be time to try again, I suppose, especially since the essential oil blend isn't really doing the job any more.

I also doubt the dietary change has made things any worse, but it certainly hasn't improved matters. Looks like I finally found something that going Primal doesn't cure.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Are you worried about uric acid - gout connection with red meat / purines?

I don't know much about that other than what allopathic medical teachers have taught me -- which is to decrease meat when you have gout. That said, I've heard there are other theories about this.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    I know there are some better educated people on here who might suggest giving up nightshades since this involves joints. I hope they'll answer you.

Also, I'm NOT suggesting giving up meat, btw; I'm just saying that's what traditional medicine would recommend since it involves the big toe and doctors often think anything involving the big toe might be gout.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    My ex-girlfriend is really good at rolling joints. Unfortunately, I'm not into that sort of thing though and it's part of what broke us up.

Not really... it's the classic joint for gout, but I'm not screaming in pain or anything, so I don't suppose that's it. Just wondering if I'd done something to make it worse, as well as what I can do to make it better.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    You could ditch the dairy and the nightshades to see if there's any improvement. Ditching dairy is a good idea anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    My ex-girlfriend is really good at rolling joints. Unfortunately, I'm not into that sort of thing though and it's part of what broke us up.
    So you gave up the girlfriend and kept the lamb's liver? Sounds reasonable.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Maybe just giving up unfermented dairy. I am not into milk anymore but I still like whey and cheese.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast