Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joint trouble - what to give up first? page 2

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    Maybe just giving up unfermented dairy. I am not into milk anymore but I still like whey and cheese.
    My only dairy is the very occasional bit of cheese, and yoghourt I make from full-fat Jersey milk, with a layer of rich yellow cream. I was rather hoping someone would tell me to eat more of this...

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    My only dairy is the very occasional bit of cheese, and yoghourt I make from full-fat Jersey milk, with a layer of rich yellow cream. I was rather hoping someone would tell me to eat more of this...
    So yummy.

Have you done research into nightshades? I don't know much about this, but I know some people really have problems with these.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Hilary,

Before you give up anything---are you taking fish oil and vit D??? I found when I fixed my omega ratio, and raised my D3 levels, all my creaky sore joints started feeling better. I would hate for you to give up yummy things like tomatoes if you like them, and if they're not really causing your problem.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Being a pepper addict such as I am, I find that I can't fathom giving up nightshades.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    If it's just your toe, I'd suggest having it medically evaluated before making dietary changes. I write as someone with severe osteoarthritis who has been controlling pain for years with diet and exercise--but I knew what I had before I started treating it via dietary adjustments.

If it's only the foot, I'd suggest seeing a good podiatrist because I've gotten better treatment from them for foot problems than from orthopedists.

If it's your joints in general, you might consider a physiatrist--they are MDs who specialize in rehabilitation medicine and are usually very helpful in terms of appropriate PT, etc.

In terms of generally reducing inflammation, making sure I had sufficient omega 3s has been critical. Abstaining from all sugar, including artificial sweeteners, has also been important. If I indulge in sugar at any time (special occasion dessert, for example), I can feel the pain the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonPA-S View Post
    So yummy.

Have you done research into nightshades? I don't know much about this, but I know some people really have problems with these.
    That's about what I'd found - there seem to be lots of anecdotes, but I don't know whether anyone's done trials.

Quote Originally Posted by kuno1chi View Post
    Hilary,

Before you give up anything---are you taking fish oil and vit D??? I found when I fixed my omega ratio, and raised my D3 levels, all my creaky sore joints started feeling better. I would hate for you to give up yummy things like tomatoes if you like them, and if they're not really causing your problem.
    Thanks for the thought! D - yes (and getting outside every day, not that there's much sun here lately). Fish oil - yes, but not the four capsules it says on the bottle. I'd certainly rather swallow more capsules and keep a bit of colour in my salads, so I'll try that first. I wonder how long it'd take to see results?

Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    If it's just your toe, I'd suggest having it medically evaluated before making dietary changes. I write as someone with severe osteoarthritis who has been controlling pain for years with diet and exercise--but I knew what I had before I started treating it via dietary adjustments.

If it's only the foot, I'd suggest seeing a good podiatrist because I've gotten better treatment from them for foot problems than from orthopedists.

If it's your joints in general, you might consider a physiatrist--they are MDs who specialize in rehabilitation medicine and are usually very helpful in terms of appropriate PT, etc.

In terms of generally reducing inflammation, making sure I had sufficient omega 3s has been critical. Abstaining from all sugar, including artificial sweeteners, has also been important. If I indulge in sugar at any time (special occasion dessert, for example), I can feel the pain the next day.
    Thanks. I'm sure you and Griff are right about seeing a doctor for a definite diagnosis.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i wouldnt remove anything but the nightshades personally and i dont know even about them.

i second the fish oil, but more important make sure you arent getting an excess O6 in your primal diet which is surprisingly really easy to do. just takes some chicken, nuts and olive oil.

have you tried coconut oil, specifically oil pulling? i have heard good things regarding joint pain and startig with gum/dental health. also, drink some kombucha... it will enhance your liver and make the good nutrients you eat form primal more readily available to your body, IMO.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    That's about what I'd found - there seem to be lots of anecdotes, but I don't know whether anyone's done trials.

Thanks for the thought! D - yes (and getting outside every day, not that there's much sun here lately). Fish oil - yes, but not the four capsules it says on the bottle. I'd certainly rather swallow more capsules and keep a bit of colour in my salads, so I'll try that first. I wonder how long it'd take to see results?
    From what I understand, this will depend on how much o6 you already have incorporated into you...for me, it took less than a week to feel a difference. Also, +1 on Mal's suggestion to try and reduce your current o6 intake

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks MalPaz - what's oil pulling?

I have just done another round of Googling and I have the horribly embarrassing realisation I may be making all this fuss about a bunion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast