Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your attitude to money? page

chronyx is offline Senior Member

What is your attitude to money?

Primal Fuel
    Slow day at work today, so I got thinking about just how much 'un-primal' bullshit comprises part of our lives now.

Money - you can't eat it, grow it, make things from it...it doesn't even really exist! But we all 'have' to go to work for it; don't we?

Maybe I'm just too simplistic...

Also, that "I wann be a millionaire" song makes me want to smash the radio up.

So basically, I have no desire whatsoever to be 'rich' - I'd far rather have the things money can't buy! I appreciate the things I have already and would ultimately like to drop out of the rat race one day!
    Last edited by chronyx; 08-13-2010 at 08:59 AM.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    When someone says "money isn't important", that means they have it. Money doesn't make you happy, but the lack of it sure can make you miserable.

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    I understand your point of view but I see it differently. I view this lifestyle as a means to control our bad habits and maximize our potential in not just a physical aspect but also mental.

I have become far more competitive b/c of this lifestyle and my money has grown b/c of that. I see this as a challenge and while my motivation at work is not necessarily to become the next Warren Buffet, I view it as a challenge with the byproduct being success and more money which allows me to become even more primal with the quality of foods, training equipment (Monkey bars, ropes for climbing, etc). I feel that whatever you do in your life you should hammer into submission and get everything out of it you can. I don't want a job where I sit on my ass all day and do nothing. I want something where I have to be on my toes, always alert and think 4 steps ahead of my clients and candidates.

What we've done is use the basic principals of the PB and retool them to other aspects of our lives. I work hard but play all day. I have fun even on bad days I do my best to stay positive and have a few laughs.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    When someone says "money isn't important", that means they have it. Money doesn't make you happy, but the lack of it sure can make you miserable.

+1000
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member
    I want my attitude toward it to be better. I'm usually never worried about it, but when i need more, it isn't there . We are middle class, have enough for our needs, but not a lot in savings... very low debt (to none... almost completely out).

I like simplicity...

Cosima is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Totally.

It's not the money itself that leads to happiness, it's the opportunities that money can provide. Education, travel, experiences, etc.

Clint is offline Senior Member
    Basically, I view money like I do exercise. It is a tool that should be used to enhance your life as you see fit, not be a primary focus of your life. With exercise, you do as much with as much intensity as you like to achieve the goals you have set for yourself. Money should be no different.

If you want to be an elite athlete in your field, you have to be willing to make a lot of sacrifices to get there, same with being a millionare. Life is all about choices and compromises. You have to know what you want to achieve, know what it takes to get it and be willing to compromise where necessary.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    I have a large family and have to work overseas to support them (can't make as much money stateside as I can over here and my wife doesn't have to work). I spend little money on gadgets, spend more money on books and music. Like was said, money is a tool and that is how I look at it.

I'm moving more and more into a minimalist lifestyle because I'm finding out that the less I have, the less I need. I'm not an environmentalist but do try to take a common sense attitude towards the environment. The amount of toxic waste created by electronics that become obsolete and thrown away is pretty bad.

The other reason why I have turned minimalist is because once you realize how much we are controlled by the corporations so they can get your money out of your pockets, it just pisses you off and makes you want to spend even less. Think of Neo taking the red pill in the movie The Matrix and waking up to realize how he had been nothing more than a battery for the Matrix.

If you want a good read on how we have been manipulated to get our money, check out www.storyofstuff.org. Look up psychological obsolescence on google. Take the red pill.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Griff is offline Senior Member
    As they say, "Money can't buy happiness, but I'll sure bet it can rent it."
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

kitana is offline Senior Member
    My having money does not block my ability to obtain the things money can't buy. I'm not sure where this money vs happiness debate come from. Since I don't see a compelling reason why I can't have both - I'm going for both!
    Last edited by kitana; 08-13-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast