Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grease burn page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

Grease burn

Primal Fuel
    Long story short, the roast picked a fight with the bacon grease last night and I lost. I have burn spray on it right now, covered with a breathable gauze bandage taped down on 3 sides (because of where it was on my arm, the 4th side was useless if I wanted to bend my arm.)
    Any internal/ external hints for getting this to heal?
    Last edited by naiadknight; 08-13-2010 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Didn't put on the antibiotic goop this morning. Forgot to.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    coconut oil is my go to for any burns, skin issues

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    My favorite burn remedies are butter, raw honey (especially if it's an open blister), aloe, and Burt's Bees Res-Q. I alternate them as I think of it. I've found ResQ to work better than Neosporin in any situation where I've used it.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Butter? Your information might be different from mine - I learned in first aid that this was the worst thing to put near a burn. But maybe that was just for fresh burns, as it would trap the heat.

I'd suggest pure aloe vera gel, and pure essential oil of lavender. Be sure of the quality of each, especially the essential oil.

Would they have mentioned it in first aid if it hadn't already been a common remedy? When old wives' tales come up against CW, I usually find that the OWTs win out, once we spend some time learning more about it.

That said, I don't put it on right away; first thing I do is apply a cool cloth or some such. The butter comes later, long after the initial incident. Just a healing oil, I would guess. I wouldn't put it on an open wound, like from skin that was actually burnt by fire or an open blister, either. No reason, just cuz. I'd probably only use honey for that.

We keep an aloe plant in the house for sunburns and all other kinds. Cheap and easy b/c it's a desert plant.

On further reflection, I'm wondering if this might be similar to the admonition never to put oils on in the sun. Extra virgin olive & coconut oils actually provide an SPF of about 2-4, meaning double to quadruple the amount of time you could naturally stay out without burning. But mid-20th century, people started using "baby oil" (=mineral oil = petrochemical) instead. Yes, THAT will burn you!! So I grew up hearing "NEVER use oils" but I do all the time now with great success.

Searching for "butter and burns" I found people suggesting using "butter or margarine" and people saying never to use "butter or margarine." Could it be that the "use butter" remedy turned into primarily margarine use, which led to serious worsening of the problem, leading to a condemnation of realbutter for burns? Mebbe.

ETA some more random info on it, both ways:
    http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/.../t-250047.html
    http://www.medicinechest.info/stories/278
    Seems to be a tradition from all over the world
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-13-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Mebbe, indeed. This would've been in the 80s, and lots of households must have had nothing but margarine and still called it 'butter'. But aloe or honey still seems a safer bet.
    Last edited by Hilary; 08-13-2010 at 10:29 AM.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Butter on a fresh burn will trap the heat. I've heard that cool running water will dissapate the heat most quickly and minimize damage. I guess butter or any other oil would help moisturize after the burn is cool, but I would probably just use petroleum jelly. I hope you heal quickly naiadknight!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Naiad,

I only use coconut oil. Do you have blisters? If so, it will keep them from drying out and cracking open; plus it has a mild bacteriostatic effect.
    Probably not a bad idea to keep it loosely covered for awhile, as you are already doing.

Lo Siento mucho!

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    Ditto what yodiewan says. I've had many, many burns, as I used to cook/fry a lot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast