Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starting strength with Primal fitness program? page

starting strength with Primal fitness program?

Primal Fuel
    So, I normally crossfit, but won't have the time or money to attend a crossfit gym during the semster with classes and all. So, I've decided to do the new primal fitness plan. However, I would like to incorporate starting strength in order to get lifts in. I was thinking starting strength on monday, wednesday, friday. then do the WOW workout on tuesday and thursday to get my HIIT and bodyweight training in. then rest on saturday, and sprints on sunday. Seeing as I'll be at school, I'll easily get the 2-5 hours of walking in going to classes. So, being experienced in fitness and very much in shape I think i can handle this without being even close to miserable, but I also don't want to prevent muscle growth by not having rest days after my starting strength days. Just looking for opinions

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
    With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
    Let me forget about today until tomorrow

MY PRIMAL JOURNAL
    MY PUBLIC FITDAY JOURNAL

RezH is offline Senior Member
    5 intense workouts per week. Not especially Primal. Try it, and let me know if you feel overtrained.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Make sure you're eating enough quality to go along with all the work. I don't think you'd be doing too much, maybe try 2x starting strength instead of 3x (workouts a week, if that needed to be cleared up) and give yourself two rest days instead of one...

SNMNY is offline Junior Member
    SS is a great programme for building muscle, but you have to be committed to it. Decide which on you think is most suitable to your goals and concentrate on that one. If doing starting strenght properly, you will need your rest day and a hell of a lot of food to supply your gains. I'm not saying that you cant do HIIT or any of the WOWs on starting strenght, im just saying you will have to prioritize one and be willing to take days off.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely can't be done.
    SS + BW + HIIT + sprints /= SS

The whole point of SS is to set everything else aside and spend a while getting bigger and stronger. If you eat enough to get maximum strength and muscle gains you(assuming that skinny guy in your sig is you) will also absolutely add considerable fat.

YNDTFP - (you're not doing the program)
    Rip makes it very clear(sometimes abusively) that if you add HI activity to SS YNDTFP!! He'd probably consider the walking borderline.

If you have an overpowering practical or psychological need to be much bigger and stronger just do SS until you're happy.

Of course you could grab the A and B SS workouts and plug them into PFB as your 2 strength days but you wouldnt be doing SS and couldn't expect the same results.

If you want to combine a strength bias with conditioning you might want to google up crossfit football.

If you go ahead with 5 or 6 High Intensity days/wk I think you'll need to double up on some days and leave AT LEAST 2 days of rest.
    Last edited by bcbcbc2; 08-13-2010 at 09:39 AM.

anzy is offline Member
    I'm in a similar position to you, actually. I'm in week 5 of StrongLifts 5x5, but I really want to work in the PBF Workouts of the week. Since SL does allow for additional cardio, I plan on doing the WOW's as my cardio after my lifts. I'm not sure if the WoW's will be appropriate for this, but my hope is that i can break up them up into 7 or 8 high intensity intervals that work the whole body. I haven't read the starting strength program, but if it opposes ANY additional training, you may want to look into SL.

my goal with SS isn't to get HUGE, I am simply trying to replicate a more manageable version of crossfit with classes and all. SS would be my source of Olympic lifts that I would lose after switching from crossfit to primal fitness. I'll probably double up on some days as bcbcbc2 suggested.

MY PRIMAL JOURNAL
    MY PUBLIC FITDAY JOURNAL

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    SS has about as little O-lifting as possible w/o being zero. Power cleans every other workout.
    SS priorities are pretty much low bar(basically powerlifting style) squat, low bar squat and some other stuff.

I don't want to waste either of our time by trying to talk you out of what you've decided to do but SS doesn't sound like a great fit for your goals.

maybe:
    mon - SS A + HIIT/WOW/sprint
    wed - primal bw + skill session for o-lifts or metcon with o-lifts
    fri - SS B + HIIT/WOW/sprint

You could go to crossfit.com or many affiliate sites and get wod's to do at the college gym

If o-lifting is really a priority and not just what you happened to mention you could google around for a beginning OL program.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    You get bigger and stronger when your muscles recover... not at the gym. 2 intense strength sessions a week and one sprint session a week... rest of the time stay active... yoga, sports, maybe a conditioning workout if you feel up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    SS has about as little O-lifting as possible w/o being zero. Power cleans every other workout.
    SS priorities are pretty much low bar(basically powerlifting style) squat, low bar squat and some other stuff.

I don't want to waste either of our time by trying to talk you out of what you've decided to do but SS doesn't sound like a great fit for your goals.

maybe:
    mon - SS A + HIIT/WOW/sprint
    wed - primal bw + skill session for o-lifts or metcon with o-lifts
    fri - SS B + HIIT/WOW/sprint

You could go to crossfit.com or many affiliate sites and get wod's to do at the college gym

If o-lifting is really a priority and not just what you happened to mention you could google around for a beginning OL program.
    misunderstood the SS program then, thanks for pointing it out, I'll probably just make my own routine to go by. Its going to be a sad day being without a crossfit gym again

You get bigger and stronger when your muscles recover... not at the gym. 2 intense strength sessions a week and one sprint session a week... rest of the time stay active... yoga, sports, maybe a conditioning workout if you feel up to it.
    Not what I'm looking for. You've basically just named the primal blueprint fitness plan, which as mark states, is only to get you to 80% or so of what your capable of. I'm already at that point and looking for more.

MY PRIMAL JOURNAL
    MY PUBLIC FITDAY JOURNAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast