Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: starting strength with Primal fitness program? page 2

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    http://www.cathletics.com/index.php

these guys do mainly o-lifting with some xfit type metcons

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rok out with ur grok out View Post
    Not what I'm looking for. You've basically just named the primal blueprint fitness plan, which as mark states, is only to get you to 80% or so of what your capable of. I'm already at that point and looking for more.
    At what point... 80% of your maximum potential?

IF you can sprint the day after donig squats and deads, you didn't life heavy/intense enough. If you can squat the day after you sprint, you didn't sprint hard enough. Just because you can do it doesn't mean it's optimal. You need days off to recover, grow bigger/stronger/faster.

I don't see how 2 intense strength sessions and one sprint can only get you to 80%?

I've head tremendous success with the following:

M - squat, bench, deads, standing overhead press
    W - hill sprints or ladder sprints... 100 meter sprint, 100 meter walk, 200, 300, 400, 300, 200, 100
    F - Power clean and press, weighted dips, weighted pullups
    Sa - Yoga
    Rest of the days just stay active.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Its a bit late now, but Rip does say that you can add chins (or pull ups) and dips to the starting strength program.

When I did starting strength I definitely needed those recovery days. If you have the ability to do a workout the day after a starting strength workout than you are a pussy who didn't squat enough, as Rip would say.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    I have to agree with others, sounds like a recipe for overtraining, however, your young and probably can get away with it for a little while, but it will catch up with you at some point.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

RezH is offline Senior Member
    I have issue with giving Primal advice on a clearly unprimal plan. If you supplement (HGH), maybe you can pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    At what point... 80% of your maximum potential?

IF you can sprint the day after donig squats and deads, you didn't life heavy/intense enough. If you can squat the day after you sprint, you didn't sprint hard enough. Just because you can do it doesn't mean it's optimal. You need days off to recover, grow bigger/stronger/faster.

I don't see how 2 intense strength sessions and one sprint can only get you to 80%?

I've head tremendous success with the following:

M - squat, bench, deads, standing overhead press
    W - hill sprints or ladder sprints... 100 meter sprint, 100 meter walk, 200, 300, 400, 300, 200, 100
    F - Power clean and press, weighted dips, weighted pullups
    Sa - Yoga
    Rest of the days just stay active.
    Okay, the first part isn't true. someone with a fair amount of training under their belt will not suffer from DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) near as severely as someone else. Yes I still feel the squats, bench, etc the day after, but not enough to keep me from going about my life or workouts, and I DO usually reach muscle failure with my workouts. Eating right helps a ton too, and coconut oil has worked miracles on my muscle recovery this summer. I am aware that what I plan to do isn't primal, but its in a good way. yes the primal fitness plan is significantly more sustainable and good for general health, but I'm looking for more. Working out is my "Play". I love it. Crossfit isn't primal either, yet still respected by mark. I'm simply looking for a replacment for crossfit that I can more easily meld around classes and studying.
    and to mainer, yes I am very much so riding on the back of my youth hahaha.
    and thanks for the point bushrat.

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
    With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
    Let me forget about today until tomorrow

MY PRIMAL JOURNAL
    MY PUBLIC FITDAY JOURNAL

mug2k is offline Member
    Is SS good for aesthetics too or should I be doing a bodybuilding style split if I want strength aswell as a better looking physique ?.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    Absolutely can't be done.
    SS + BW + HIIT + sprints /= SS

The whole point of SS is to set everything else aside and spend a while getting bigger and stronger. If you eat enough to get maximum strength and muscle gains you(assuming that skinny guy in your sig is you) will also absolutely add considerable fat.

YNDTFP - (you're not doing the program)
    Rip makes it very clear(sometimes abusively) that if you add HI activity to SS YNDTFP!! He'd probably consider the walking borderline.

If you have an overpowering practical or psychological need to be much bigger and stronger just do SS until you're happy.

Of course you could grab the A and B SS workouts and plug them into PFB as your 2 strength days but you wouldnt be doing SS and couldn't expect the same results.

If you want to combine a strength bias with conditioning you might want to google up crossfit football.

If you go ahead with 5 or 6 High Intensity days/wk I think you'll need to double up on some days and leave AT LEAST 2 days of rest.
    This is 1000% true. The PB fitness will interrupt your gains on SS and vice versa. Recipe for failure. You don't get stronger from exercise, you get stronger by recovering from exercise. Listen to the man. do PB fitness elements in moderation right after your heavy weights, as "accessory" exercises. Trust me you'll make huge progress on them if you get under the bar. SS requires a commitment to the program.

For instance, I JUST came back from the gym, I did SS workout B followed by weighted aussie pullups and uneven (one hand on ball) pushups. I am well and truly gassed. Tomorrow I might take a long walk.
    Last edited by tfarny; 12-15-2010 at 09:49 AM.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mug2k View Post
    Is SS good for aesthetics too or should I be doing a bodybuilding style split if I want strength aswell as a better looking physique ?.
    The SS people would say first, get decently strong. Then after 4-8 months of getting decently strong think about vanity, sport specific, etc. Basically strong muscles will fill out better than weak ones, so first get them strong then puff them up to impress your buddies. Sorry, I'm old and cranky.
    Personally SS has been good for my looks but it def. won't help you lose weight that's for sure.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    SS is no good for asthetics. Your proposed program is a recipe for overtraining, unless you eat a TON of good food, and sleep about 10 hours a day. Too much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12