Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BPA In Cans page

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member

BPA In Cans

Primal Fuel
    I am a regular consumer of both canned sardines and canned wild salmon. Some days I could eat a can of each. I also have some days where I have spouts of paranoia whenever I see the letters BPA, as I always hear how canned food can leak this toxin which can do many poopy things inside the body.

What have you guys heard about the consumption of canned goods? I realize that the best way to not be paranoid is to simply eschew from all canned foods, but it is hard to find bottled salmon and sardines, and the fresh wild salmon is hella expensive, especially for a student budget.

I love the canned wild salmon because it is a great, affordable, and delicious way to get a good dose of protein after a workout, but if eating it involves the risk of throwing off my endocrine system then no thanks.

I also cut out as much plastic from my life as I could a few months ago, so all my food is stored in glass or porcelain containers. However, my beloved La Croix is canned, and canned beverages can leak BPA too

Now, am I being too paranoid about this issue, or is there rationale behind my concern?
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

slacker is offline Senior Member
    BPA is a real issue. But, I'm like you on this. Not willing to give up the occasional tuna, sardines or salmon from cans. My hope is the the canners will get it taken care of sooner rather than later. I hope. I hope. I hope.

Taurvantian is offline Junior Member
    I have not introduced myself as of yet but I wanted to jump in here and let you know that Kelley-Clarke seafood, makers of Black Top canned salmon, does not use BPA in their cans per an email I received from them a few months ago.

Randy

Thank you for your inquiry concerning the BPA content in the lining of the Black Top Salmon cans. Rest assured that the supplier of the cans does not use BPA in their manufacture. The lining in the cans of our Black Top Salmon are free of any BPA.

Thanks again for your inquiry.

Consumer Affairs

Kelley-Clarke Seafoods

Sent: Friday, August 07, 2009 3:30 PM
    To: Information Kelley-Clarke
    Subject: Contact Form

First Name: Randy
    Last Name:
    Street Address:
    City:
    State: GA
    Zip Code:
    Email:
    Your Comments: Do the liners in the cans of Black Top salmon contain BPA (bisphenol A)? Thanks for help
    Last edited by Taurvantian; 08-13-2010 at 03:31 AM.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    They also sell pounces of Bubblebee Premium Light Tuna and wild pink salmon (less BPA exposure). However, I don't understand the hyper-paranoid that certain people have on all canned food. Do you know that BPA through credit card receipts?

We are expose to toxins everyday, whether small or great. Of course, we should try our best to limit them, but having canned salmon/tuna on occasion is not going to kill you or make you sick.

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
    I am a regular consumer of both canned sardines and canned wild salmon. Some days I could eat a can of each. I also have some days where I have spouts of paranoia whenever I see the letters BPA, as I always hear how canned food can leak this toxin which can do many poopy things inside the body.

What have you guys heard about the consumption of canned goods? I realize that the best way to not be paranoid is to simply eschew from all canned foods, but it is hard to find bottled salmon and sardines, and the fresh wild salmon is hella expensive, especially for a student budget.

I love the canned wild salmon because it is a great, affordable, and delicious way to get a good dose of protein after a workout, but if eating it involves the risk of throwing off my endocrine system then no thanks.

I also cut out as much plastic from my life as I could a few months ago, so all my food is stored in glass or porcelain containers. However, my beloved La Croix is canned, and canned beverages can leak BPA too

Now, am I being too paranoid about this issue, or is there rationale behind my concern?
    I eat a can or two of sardines or wild caught salmon a day as well and I don't worry about the BPA issues in cans. It never crosses my mind.
    I figure there are worse things that can kill me.

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    I too have read that our exposure to BPA is greatest while handling purchase receipts. Most receipts these days do not use ink and instead use thermal sensitive paper which release relatively large amounts of BPA through the skin.

I have started refusing to take receipts after a purchase. If the receipt paper has a semi-gloss shine to it, don't handle it if you can manage. Of course if you have to sign a credit card receipt, touch it as little as possible.

Those who work in the retail sector and handle these types of receipts all day long however are at greatest risk to exposure of this toxin.
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

anzy is offline Member
    BPA in cans (and receipts) is a real issue. I've been getting salmon and tuna in pouches, but just because I haven't heard that they have BPA too...they might have just as much though. The only canned food I get is coconut milk, because I can't find it any other way.

GreenInTahoe is offline Junior Member
    I eat a lot of Bumblebee salmon too, and I noticed they had a phone number on the can. I called and they said they're in the process of switching over to BPA-free cans, but the salmon cans still have BPA in it. The rep said their tuna is BPA free though! So if anyone wants to trade BPA for mercury... just kidding! I'll give them points for honesty, but I guess I won't be buying any more Bumblebee salmon until they've finished this conversion of theirs.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Chris Kresser did a recent blog on this. Harm in humans from exposure to normal amounts of BPA has not been established
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    If it's not BPA, I'm sure there are other weird stuff in cans. Eat from BPA-lined cans if you want. Just don't go overboard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast