Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Girly troubles (not for boys!) page

Khrystyna is offline Senior Member

Girly troubles (not for boys!)

Shop Now
    Continuing on from another thread on the topic of period problems... my period has gotten so much worse since going primal/paleo! Has anyone else experienced the same? I had adopted vegetarianism about 2 years before my first menstruation and for years I never experienced such intense depression or bad pain as I do now, although it was very very scant before reintroducing meat into my diet to the point of not even needing to use towels or tampons (I know that's really bad) and it would last maybe 24 hours 2 days max! Now it's heavier, I feel like I'm getting scraped out with a spatula and the depression is unbelivable, I literally had no will to live for a few days there. I used to get in an exceptionally good mood on my period wierdly enough in my vegetarian days. I'm also getting a bit narky which never used to happen. I'm not sure if it's that now I'm getting plenty of iron now and so I'm having a very healthy and so difficult period or whether my horomones are after getting out of whack from the meat or some other changes to my diet. I'm confused! yesterday I took two neurofen plus and I was still in considerable pain normally I fell fantastic after two of those bad boys. I was thinking evening primrose oil might be worth taking and Cillkat kindly suggested Krill oil so I'm going to order some on iherb, but if anyone has any insight into what's going on it'd be great.
    My primal adventures:
    http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
    Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrystyna View Post
    I was thinking evening primrose oil might be worth taking and Cillkat kindly suggested Krill oil so I'm going to order some on iherb, but if anyone has any insight into what's going on it'd be great.
    Most discussions here indicate a lessening of symptoms going primal. I would imagine though that with your previous diet you were getting a TON of magnesium compared to what you're getting now and that it's the net mg change that's causing the trouble for you.

Those seeing symptoms resolve or lessen are probably experiencing that simply b/c of the increase in saturated fat (and other nutrients) supporting improved progesterone production.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    I would say that your hormones are probably adjusting. A not-so-good diet (especially if you were eating a good amount of soy) can throw them out of whack, a good diet will bring them more in balance...but there will undoubtedly be an adjustment period.

Yes, and what kat said.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Cillkat--any idea why krill oil was so beneficial for you?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I clicked.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, I'm the opposite. For me, carbs and junk = short cycles with long, heavy painful periods. Primal and avoiding grains = longer cycles,shorter periods, less flow, less cramps.

I didn't see that vegetarianism per se made the difference for me. I did have more grains as a veggie, but it wasn't so excessive as most seem to assume. With me I think it's mostly the junk in general and fast food type of grains that does it.

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    Yes, my PMS worsened since going Primal.

MJinLV is offline Senior Member
    I'm only two months in, but my first month was light and a cake walk. Second month almost no cramps. So for me it is much better deal.
    Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

Athena is offline Senior Member
    Mine was HORRIBLE for the first 3 months. Then afterwards its been MUCH MUCH better. I say wait a bit and see if your hormones even out, and take some Magnesium supplement occasionally to make sure your gettin enough

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I had a lot of flooding and some really long periods for a few mos. when I first went Primal (as in nearly 20 days long one month!). I had been very regular and had a consistent length before that. My periods are now back to normal, length-wise and flow-wise. I think my hormones were recalibrating (or possibly increasing). My formerly awful cramps disappeared.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast