Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti aging creams page

Jenn is offline Senior Member

Anti aging creams

How does everyone feel about topical vitamin a creams like retinol etc? Supposedly these are one of the only things proven to reduce wrinkles. Just curious what the primal community thinks.

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    don't know...my step-mother swears by Strivectin-D for halting her wrinkles. I use an Arbonne anti-aging line. Does it work? I have no idea.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I recommend an aloe gel. There is one at the whole foods stores that's 100% pure aloe gel, plus some vitamins that works really well at evening face tone and reducing or preventing wrinkles. Also, I like the Olay Night Effects Regenerist line. Are these "primal", no idea, but they work for me.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Retin - A has the most studies to support the ability to rebuild collegen. The loss of which causes the aging effects.

If you're going to use Retin-A, get yourself EDUCATED on it. Understand the side effects. You should not use it if you are PG or nursing.

You MUST use sunscreen over treated skin. You otherwise invite sever sunburn, skin cancer and aging worse than what you might have started with.

Retin A is AWESOME!

Other topicals: Mytrixal (which is what's in Strivectin D) is gaining lots of momentum, with studies and such. Vitamin C serums can be great. You want a good product that is jarred in dark bottles. It oxydizes FAST!

SeaKelp Bioferment within products is also really nice.

Copper Peptides can be great. Again, you must be educated on this product. People have the tendancy to get gung ho, and then regret it every time they look in the mirror.

In the end, Retin-A is probably the most clinically proven active.

And I know that around here, sun is awesome, and great for Vit. D absorbtion. Personally, I keep my face, neck, chest, and hands covered. No need to look like a raisin.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
    How does everyone feel about topical vitamin a creams like retinol etc? Supposedly these are one of the only things proven to reduce wrinkles. Just curious what the primal community thinks.
    retinol won't be terribly helpful but prescription retinoids like retin-a (or it's generic, tretinoin) and tazorac (tazarotene) are absolutely the gold standard in treating photoaging, which is essentially what all aging is prior to age 70 or so.

I *love* retinoids and use them daily. For the past five years, they've been part of my skin care routine and what they've done for me is amazing. I only wish I'd started them as a teen and used them continuously. I also meticulously protect my face, neck and chest from UV radiation by wearing highly UVA protective european s/s containing both tinosorbs, by wearing a wide brimmed hat and gloves. And long sleeves. Yes, I know, a burqa would probably would be easier

Quote Originally Posted by TriCiCi View Post
    don't know...my step-mother swears by Strivectin-D for halting her wrinkles. I use an Arbonne anti-aging line. Does it work? I have no idea.
    All hype, no benefit. For both:/

What does have benefit for anti-aging
    maintaining a low BMI (i failed miserably but am fixing that now)
    maintaining healthfully low blood sugars and avoiding AGEs...glycation is *awful* for skin
    highly UVA protective sunscreen applied frequently and at proper use rates (as well as hat, close fitting wrap sunglasses, gloves etc)
    and topical ascorbic acid serums (other antioxidant serums are helpful but nothing comes close to what topical *ascorbic acid* can do.

Anything else is truly minimally helpful until we're into surgery and strong lasers.

Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    I recommend an aloe gel. There is one at the whole foods stores that's 100% pure aloe gel, plus some vitamins that works really well at evening face tone and reducing or preventing wrinkles. Also, I like the Olay Night Effects Regenerist line. Are these "primal", no idea, but they work for me.
    The peptides in regnerist are marginally helpful....not in any visible way but at a microscopic level. I do like regenerist serum as a carrier for my retinoids. There is no wrinkle prevention benefit from aloe. Often times what seems to be helpful is nothing more than temporary plumping that occurs from topical moisture if skin was dehydrated.

Somewhere in my links is some info. And at makeupalley.com, the notepads for users beethovengirl, tetrakis, sunscreens, sunscreendata, retinoids all have incredibly helpful information. It's worth registering just to read the info.

But for those not interested in going that step, just remember:
    highly UVA protective s/s
    rx retinoids (daily, to tolerance)
    ascorbic acid serum (my links below have a link to a C serum spreadsheet)

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

and fwiw, I'm 40. My avatar picture was taken in June of this year. I do have dynamic lines that aren't visible in the picture but just about daily I get positive comments on my skin.

There are some larger pictures in my profile and my journal

pfair143 is offline Member
    At my age I've tried too many anti-aging creams, potions, and miracle lotions to count. Now I use plain old coconut oil, not to be confused with the fancy creams that proclaim coconut oil on the label. I have a large jar in the kitchen that I use for cooking and use that to refill a couple of small plastic containers with tight lids that I keep in each bathroom. Wash your face and while its still wet just dab some on and rub in. It will not be sticky or greasy (unless you really pile it on) and by the time your face dries, the oil is absorbed in your skin. In fact I use it all over; feels wonderful on just shaved legs.
    In the last year i've had strangers ask what kind of products I use even though I am the BIG 60.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    There are some larger pictures in my profile and my journal
    I'm pretty sure most of the guys here already know that. *rowr*

heh

Quote Originally Posted by twinmama View Post
    Retin - A has the most studies to support the ability to rebuild collegen. The loss of which causes the aging effects.

If you're going to use Retin-A, get yourself EDUCATED on it. Understand the side effects. You should not use it if you are PG or nursing.
    I have some information about retinoid use while nursing on my notepad. Personally I would have no problem using it while nursing. None at all. Very few drugs are problematic while nursing (see Hale Medications and Mothers Milk)

You MUST use sunscreen over treated skin. You otherwise invite sever sunburn, skin cancer and aging worse than what you might have started with
    Not so Kligman has written a bunch on this topic. The sensitivity associated with retinoid use only lasts 3-6 months then it's the opposite, it's actually protective.

Other topicals: Mytrixal (which is what's in Strivectin D) is gaining lots of momentum, with studies and such.
    The data I've seen is less than impressive.

Vitamin C serums can be great. You want a good product that is jarred in dark bottles. It oxydizes FAST!
    Very true. I keep 8 sample size dropper bottles on hand to divvy up my 1 ounce bottles.....they all stay in the fridge (for freshness) and I just keep one up in the bathroom. This way they're all perfectly fresh (ie clear not champagne or yellow or amber) when I break into a new one.

Copper Peptides can be great. Again, you must be educated on this product. People have the tendancy to get gung ho, and then regret it every time they look in the mirror.
    Copper is definitely beneficial but retinoids and C are dramatically more so. And there are some theories (picky obsessive ones) indicating that C shouldn't be used with copper or other metals.

In the end, Retin-A is probably the most clinically proven active.
    There's no doubt. Not only the most clinically proven (ie the most studied) but also truly the most effective.

And I know that around here, sun is awesome, and great for Vit. D absorbtion. Personally, I keep my face, neck, chest, and hands covered. No need to look like a raisin.
    Yeah. I am getting sun now a few times a week (five times this past week), but even at the beach I covered and s/s'd my face, neck, chest, arms and hands like a crazy person. Except I spared my family the embarassment of me wearing gloves at the beach/pool like I have in the past Trying to be more accomodating wrt how my obsessiveness impacts my near and dear family members. lol.

(and Bane, thanks)

Roo
    Roo is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've never tried Retin-A because I am extremely fair and burn easily and don't want to make that worse.

I have been using LiftFusion serum for about 3 years now. When I first started it I took a close-up "before" shot, and after 30 days took an "after". There was a very real difference, and I have been faithful with it ever since.

I am much, much older than the other moms at my daughter's school, but no one knows. I think if I start to see sagging I will do the microcurrent facials -- too scared for surgery! But it is important to me that my daughter is never embarrassed by having an "old" mom. I'm sure I'll embarrass her enough in other ways!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast