Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil - massive temperature increase, nausea page 3

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I just wish that 2 tsp wasnt "excess" and didn't make me feel this way when other people here can handle 1tbsp or more with no issues. I may have to cut back again to 1 tsp .

Also - does anything help to offset the nausea from CO? I try to drink a lot of water which sometimes helps....
    Last edited by AnneArchy; 03-01-2012 at 08:28 AM.

ufc4836 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for sharing this. I was nice ideas from you.

patski is offline Senior Member
    OMG! I had this reaction this morning!

I made my usual yerba mate, added two heaping tablespoons of coconut oil, some butter, and one egg white. I blitzed this up with some cinnamon and nutmeg, and a pinch of stevia.

Not long after, I felt WEIRD. I was still so tired (hadn't slept well), but I had this weird rush of energy going through me. And I felt a bit nauseated.

I drank some water later and felt better.

Edited to add: I don't think I've ever had that much CO in bulletproof yerba mate, but I probably overdid it. This is why you don't make this stuff when you're not awake yet LOL!
    Last edited by patski; 03-01-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

sarahmasteller is offline Senior Member
    I posted this in another thread, but it applies here so I'll paste. . . . I have nutiva coconut oil and I usually take a tiny bit of that separately (just don't like the coconut flavor in my coffee) but for sure if you aren't used to eating a lot of fat or that much fat at one time, do build up slowly. (speaking from experience, my first tub of coconut oil which I got last year, I immediately on the first day took WAYYYY too much...it was definitely a cleansing experience but not one I wish to repeat. So nothing wrong with starting out and building up gradually) Just a word of caution and one I wish I had read before I went hog wild LOL. So no worries about starting small and building up your dosage it's better than feeling miserable IMO

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Coconut milk is good for that very reason. As phlebotomists, we use very warm things to heat the skin of patients and get veins to rise. Most of my draws are in the morning, so having a can of coconut milk sometime around 2:00am will make both of my hands as hot as heel warmers for a good three hours. I don't need heel warmers or the old water in a glove. I just put my hand on their vein and it pops right up for me. And I love the warm rush, really makes it easy to blast through the hospital and get all the morning draws done.

*Of course, I mean real, thick, Asian canned coconut milk, not that fake SO Delicous coconut milk beverage.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

patski is offline Senior Member
    Knifegill, that's fascinating!

I definitely notice a warm rush after eating a meal made with coconut oil.

Amazing stuff, it is. I also liked the suggestion of keeping warm at night while camping, by consuming a coconut curry of some kind. Ideas for this summer!!!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    I too feel nauseated when taking coconut oil, many people have said that is what it does until you are used to it.....but WHY?
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Or maybe it's not good to have a couple big spoonfuls of fat right before going to bed?
    Remember: "Some is good, more must be better." isn't necessarily true.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Based on a personal experience, I often wonder if some folks have a reaction to coconut oil because their guts are still healing from the years on a SAD. About 6 years ago I had a bad SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) that damaged my intestine. I ended up even more lactose intolerant than I already was, and I also had much more fat malabsorption. I read that some doctors suggest MCT's as a supplement because of the malabsorption after this kind of overgrowth, so I tried coconut oil, and I had the same reaction--heat and nausea, and later issues in the bathroom. I think my gut has healed some since then though (even before I went Primal, I was fairly low carb), as the reaction isn't nearly as bad and usually only happens if I take it straight or in coffee.

garp94 is offline Junior Member
    I started low with CO and rarely take more than 1.5 tsp. I've never had diarrhea from it, but have occasionally felt a touch nauseated. I wonder if it's a normal response to being 'full'. In GCBC, Gary Taubes talked about the study where each group had to eat 1000 cals extra of a certain nutrient. The carb people could eat thousands of extra carb calories[and still felt hungry]. Some of the group that had to eat extra fat COULDN'T. They just couldn't eat more fat. So I decided this is a different way of my body telling me I don't need to eat more. [esp since i still do eat out of stress and habit].

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast