Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celiac going Primal page

Owly is offline Senior Member

Celiac going Primal

Primal Fuel
    Another Primal newbie here...well, sort of.

When I was diagnosed with celiac a few years ago, I ate largely primal just because I wasn't familiar with the gluten-free stuff that's out there. I also got really active (martial arts, hiking, running, ballroom dance) and ended up in fantastic shape. However, I got really good at gluten-free baking, and then last year I broke my leg and did a ton of soft tissue damage along with it, including a bad ankle sprain and a serious MCL tear, so I spent quite a while sitting on my butt. That and grad school (plus a full-time job) has taken a serious toll on my health.

Anyhow, I found a better physio who actually believes in getting people back to being fully active, rather than just walking again. Also, the guy believes in real squats and weights, which is awesome. The knee is still not up to the rotational forces of taekwondo, though, so in July, I started Crossfit. I'm only about three weeks in, but I am loving it so far.

I started reading MDA a couple of years ago thanks to a link on Stumptuous, but I didn't get totally behind the idea until I started researching Crossfit and noticing the whole paleo/primal connection. I figured it couldn't hurt, plus I really love fat (way more than sugar!), and any diet that endorses butter and bacon along with tons of veggies is all good with me. I'm already a farmers market fanatic and organic food lover who eats a lot of elk, bison, and grass-fed poultry and pork, so that part is easy. As a celiac, it's also easier to cut the grains because I'm already partway there since my diet was already not bread dependent.

I've only been doing Primal for a couple of weeks, but I'm already down nine pounds between the new eating style and the increased activity from Crossfit. I'm working with a nutritionist at the gym to help support the change in diet, and my beloved partner is switching along with me (although he is finding his massive sweet tooth a bit of a challenge).

We're heading to India for several weeks this fall, and my goal is to be able to hike and explore all day with my pack and not worry about it. Fitting into my old, smaller clothes would be nice too, but my biggest desire is to get back to feeling as healthy and strong as I did before. Oh, and to do pullups again, because that's just cool.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, I am also celiac! I feel so much better since switching to primal living!

Acmebike is offline Member
    You'll own it! The Gluten Free baking stuff is sorta like "smoking candy cigarettes" as outlined by Dr Kurt Harris here:

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...igarettes.html

Best to just cut the crap out, than to find a "primal" or "paleo" version of it! You should be able to slam dunk this. Good luck and Primal will kick the Celiac to the curb.

I should clarify that my celiac issues are well under control (I'm very strict about my diet in that respect), so the main thing for me is to clean up the rest of my eating. The good thing about eating a strict celiac diet for a few years is that I'm quite used to the idea of planning ahead and making careful food choices.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to Primal!

Funny, you have a lot of the same story lines that I did. I was dealing with chronic pain, fatigue, digestive issues...etc..... found out going gluten free helped so initially I was almost primal too. BUT, as time went on, I too started delving into all the alternative flours, and surprisingly continued to feel bad. No grains is the way to go for me! I think being GF for years really makes going primal that much easier.

I joined Crossfit 3 weeks ago, something I NEVER imagined doing when I was in constant pain....I LOVE IT. It feels like I spent years experimenting with various combos, gluten free, low carb, different exercise routines.....I think all the pieces are finally coming together.

Welcome to the forums! Good luck on your rehab and trip to India!!

Diktynna is offline Senior Member
    You have a similar story to mine: Celiac, grad school, broken ankle a year ago, and INDIA! (My husband and I spent six months travelling there).

Just wanted to offer a shoutout. I'm new here too, about two months into this primal thing, down 22 lbs and feeling better every day.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    welcome! you're going to feel amazing;-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Naherallnes is offline Junior Member

Celiac going Primal

oh obama is going to stand up be his black self and say yes we can and you will all feel better.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Fix your vitamin D levels asap

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm supplementing with a combo of calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium. I started it a couple of months ago, and it's made a huge difference.

And yeah, celiac and chronic pain. Before I was diagnosed, I used to wake up some days barely able to walk. Not fun considering I was in my late 20s. I also used to get dermatitis herpetiformis, and I was so exhausted! I found going gluten-free was huge for me. The same year I was diagnosed, I also quit smoking and started doing martial arts. I could not believe how different I felt--night and day.

Diktynna, what are you studying?

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast