Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Must See - Bitter Truth On Sugar page

Sterling is offline Member

Mick Guest

Thank you. That was a really good lecture, delivered with all the intelligence you'd expect from an academic but also with some wit, warmth, and brio.

And a really important subject. I may send the link to some friends and family.

Here's the original link with the redundant parts snipped:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Besides ditching soft-drinks, like Cocoa Cola - which this endocrinologist shows are actually downright dangerous - and eliminating processed food - this video should be a warning to people to go easy on the fruit-juice.

The graph showing the relation between obesity and number of glasses of fruit juice drank by Harlem infants was telling.

People should know: If you want fruit, better to eat a piece of fruit.

Tarlach is offline Member

Nice find. Was an interesting talk.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

primalmom is offline Member

oh CRAP ... this is amazing ... my supposedly "good" whey protein powder has crystalline fructose in it !!! ... well, this cinches the deal for many things for me - protein powder, school lunches ... thanks for the link !!!

now, I gotta wean the 3 yo off his apple juice habit !

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

primalmom is offline Member

I love his passion for this - he is a great speaker !

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

joshroman Guest

This has to be a MDA TV episode. Great presentation!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I think that's a "two turkey legger." An hour and a half!

Will digest in bits today.

There's a book I found on the internet a month ago about how to lose half a zillion pounds "just" by cutting out sugars. Some Australian guy. IIRC, added sugars and hidden sugars.

Another IIRC is that the average American consumes 500 cal/day in added sugars. That alone is obviously enough to cause the dreaded Obesity Epidemic. Another obvious thing is that many of us aren't average, never adding sugar, avoiding (gross)added sugars, and so that means the other end of the curve is eating even MORE sugar. This consumption rate is just thinking about calories. Then there are the related issues of diabetes, CHD, and dental health.

My Mexican dentist in Cd. Acuna has a kids drawing on the wall. On a dark blue background are teeth floating in space and the words, "Love those little candies."

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

The connection between sugar consumption, uric acid, and sugar is...wow. I've been trying to get my dad (has high blood pressure) to swear off sodas and sugary stuff for some time, but this...this is proof.

Mick Guest

[quote]

Another IIRC is that the average American consumes 500 cal/day in added sugars. That alone is obviously enough to cause the dreaded Obesity Epidemic.</blockquote>

Yup. And the problem is that with sugar you literally don&#39;t know when to stop.

Sugar is is a disaccharide of glucose and fructose. Now glucose is one thing; fructose, another. It turns out they&#39;re metabolized in totally different ways. Eat fructose - hello sugar! hello "high-fructose corn-syrup"! to a certain extent even hello fruit juice! - and you don&#39;t deal with it as you deal with glucose.

The liver treats it much as it does alcohol. Everyone knows about beer-belly. Welcome to fructose-belly.

One huge problem is that it interferes with leptin - the hormone that tells you when you&#39;ve had enough to eat. People who consume a lot of fructose don&#39;t know they&#39;re full, so they keep eating.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Fantastic vid. Thanks for sharing!

I did run right to my cupboard and check my whey protein powder. Only sweetness in that is stevia. "Whew!"

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast