Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hormonal BC to copper IUD page

callherpetrol is offline Member

Hormonal BC to copper IUD

I'm a 20 year old girl and I've been using Yaz for about two years. I've had absolutely no problems with it. For about a three month period of time, I went off it, then back on and there were no symptoms. I'm trying to lose the last 10 pounds and I'm thinking the hormones might be preventing it. So I'm thinking of using the copper IUD instead. Does anyone have weight problems using this? I'm also wary of how chronically inflamed girl parts will affect my health. Thanks.

PrimalNavyWife is offline Junior Member
    Hi! I had the copper IUD for 5 years and I absolutely LOVED it. I never had any problems with my weight or with my "girl parts" while I had the IUD. I didn't want to use horomonal birth control and, for me, the copper IUD was the perfect answer. When the time was right I had it taken out and got pregnant a few days after it was removed!

Heather

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    My friend Beci swears by the copper IUD.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    I have the copper IUD. Best birth control ever :-) The only downside is that you will get heavier periods. This has actually been a plus for me as I have too much iron.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I also love the copper IUD. 10 years of 99%+ effective birth control that I don't have to think about at all.. it's like heaven. My weight has fluctuated too much for me to know whether it affected it at all. And I doubt the small amount of localized inflammation would possibly have any negative health effects, but I can't dismiss it entirely.

It does make cramps worse for a lot of women... I never had cramps once in my life before the IUD, and now I get 1 day of fairly strong cramps and 1-2 days of mild ones each month. It's totally worth it, to me.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    I have the Mirena IUD. It's hormonal, but way less than the pill patch or ring. It's only good for 5 yrs not 10 like the copper. But I get NO PERIODS EVER. Not even spotting. I simply cannot tell you how happy that has made me!! I was still getting a day or so of cramps and foul moods, but since I've been on the PB those too are way less. I love this thing!

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    +1 for Mirena. At first, I was having cramping, which was not "normal" for me, but when I stick to PB, they go away. LOVE IT!!!

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I would never feel comfortable using something that stopped my periods.

kellyq is offline Member
    i would go for the copper iud over the mirena. look at the mirena closely, the side effects are limitless, and do some research outside of their website, just google mirena side effects. i'm actually getting mine removed after 3 years to have the a copper paraguard put in. at this point i'd rather have heavy periods then the effects of hormones and the silicone composite it's made of.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Copper IUD user here too. Hormonal BC messes me up emotionally and physically, so I decided to go totally hormone free about three years ago and got the IUD. It definitely helped with cyclical depression, and once I was off for a bit, my cycle stabilized nicely and I have learned to listen to my body and know what's happening when. As for cramps, I found making sure I had adequate calcium and magnesium made a huge difference (and also helps the mood). The other bonus is that there's no pills to forget to take and you don't have to worry about whether an antibiotic or a case of the stomach flu will mess it up. I highly recommend it.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast