Thread: Crockpots and Vegetables page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Crockpots and Vegetables

Shop Now
    Okay, so while I've gotten better at this crockpot stuff, I just realized I'm still a newb.

I am trying to clear some stuff out of my pantry and found the following ingredients:

2 lbs frozen dove breasts
    1 bag of frozen stir fry mix
    2 16oz jars of spicy salsa
    1 can of artichoke hearts

I was thinking of throwing all of t his into the pot and cooking on low for 8 hours while I'm at work tomorrow, but I am not sure how to treat the frozen vegetables. Would they survive or should I turn the pot on high and throw em in for an hour when I get home?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I'm not an expert either, but I'd go with the latter option. I think they'd get pretty mushy/unappetizing if left in all day. If they're like the frozen stir-fry veggies I have, they probably wouldn't even take more than 20 minutes to heat through in a hot crockpot.

netbum is offline Member
    i'm kind of a crock pot expert, since i've been using one for lots of years ... definitely save the veggies 'til you get home or they will be mush!

Thanks guys, I will cook it for 8 hours on low without vegetables, then throw the frozen veggies in and crank it up to high for an hour when I get home.

My plan on using dove meat backfired when I opened up the vacuum bag and it reeked to high heaven

Threw in a bunch of frozen chicken breasts, which takes the unique factor down but should still be pretty yummy. I'm not sure how much simpler a recipe could get! I am pretty disappointed though as I was really looking forward to eating that dove meat.

RESURRECTION TIME

Okay, so I have a bunch of huge Skin-On Chicken Breast w/ Ribs that were on sale at publix. I am going to try making an adobo like recipe but I am not sure the best way to put these things in the pot.

Do I put them bone-side down or skin-side down? Or does it not matter? I know when I do roasts I usually put the fat up so it runs down over the meat when it renders... but i'm not sure how to treat these huge breasts (wakka wakka).

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I would put them bone side down. When I've made ribs in the crock pot, I'd always read to put them bone side down. Good luck!