Thread: CW and "Family History" page

Duke363 is offline Junior Member

CW and "Family History"

Hi all,
    Im new here, but have been browsing the site for quite a while and have been inspired by all the amazing stories and wealth of info.

I just started eating primal this week and had my bloodwork done by my doctor. Most of the results were OK, but my HDL (28) and Triglycerides (500!!) really worry me. I gave the Dr. a very brief explaination of the lifestyle change I am trying to make and he said that it may not be enough to lower trigs, because of my "family history". Of course he recommended to get medicated.

While I know about the CW that doctors prescribe to, I still found this a little discouraging. It's true heart disease and high blood pressure run in the family, but we (my family members and I) also all have similar lifestyles. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Am I doomed to bad blood test numbers and such just by my genetics? It doesn't help that my brother, who is at a healthy weight, exercises and eats very well, still has high blood pressure. I'm committed to not using meds just yet, and am committed to going primal. We just had a baby and this has given me a real reason to try to be healthier.

I should add that I'm 38, 6'00", 250 lbs, and have been lazy for the last 8 years. Hopefully in a year I'll be able to post something under the success stories section. For now, any insight / advice / similar experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks all

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    There was a post at PaleoNu recently about familial hypercholesterolemia: http://www.paleonu.com/ The case in question isn't identical to yours, but maybe it will give you some useful information. I'm glad you've discovered PB and am sure that it will lead you to greater health. Grok on!

BayouPrimal is offline Member
    Less than a week of a new lifestyle probably won't show up in your labs. Tell your Doc to give you 6 months to try diet and exercise, then redo your labs.

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    Exercise really helped to lower my triglycerides.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Elevated triglycerides is caused by too many sugars & grains. Even the AHA admits it! Your family history is not a death sentence. Cholesterol problems are a modern situation, a disease of civilization. I urge you to get a copy of Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, or read it online if you need to. All these chronic diseases were virtually nonexistent in societies that ate only non-processed food.

Your body is made for health. It's amazing how much abuse we can give our bodies before they just can't cope with it anymore. Genetics determine in what way the body will break down when it's chronically abused. Remove the abuse, and you remove the breakdown.

Please please share with us your results after six months of primal living!!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    BTW, what is your brother's "healthy" diet? Doctor-defined healthy (whole grains, lean meat, ...), or actually life-giving, nutrient dense foods? If the latter, have his numbers changed since he took on that way of eating?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Duke363 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks all for the responses.

@ Mamagrok....my brother's diet is the doctor recommended "healthy diet" for the most part. I know he still has high BP, but his trigs are waaaayyyy lower than mine....under 100 last I heard.

I will be sure to share new results after 6 months of this.

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I say give it time.

Still, genetics count for a lot. My mom's family all has low TC, low trigs, high HDL - and no heart disease or diabetes in 4 generations despite loving their grains, alcohol and cigarettes. Eating over 300g carbs per day, my trigs never went over 60! I felt like crap though.