Thread: Where am I going wrong with my Mayo? page

bma1208 is offline Junior Member

Where am I going wrong with my Mayo?

Shop Now
    I have been trying to make mayo using the recipe from the PBCB which calls for 1 cup of olive oil. I have follwed the rest of the recipe to the letter but after using double the amount of oil it is still really runny. Where am i going wrong? this is turning out to be an expensive mayo!!

Any help greatly recieved.

Thanks

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like your emulsion is not forming. Make sure to add the first few drops of oil VERY slowly and whisk them completely in before adding the next drop or two. You can start a new emulsion with a new egg yolk and once you have it going, you can slowly add in the broken mixture.

bma1208 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    It sounds like your emulsion is not forming. Make sure to add the first few drops of oil VERY slowly and whisk them completely in before adding the next drop or two. You can start a new emulsion with a new egg yolk and once you have it going, you can slowly add in the broken mixture.
    Thanks Yodiewan. I added the mix to a broken egg yolk and it has turned out just fine.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    sloooooooowwwwwwwwwllllllllllllly. add it slowly;-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    I'd guess that you were adding the oil too quickly. The trick is to dribble in the first third of the oil at a very, very, slow rate. Then the second third at a very slow rate, and the final third at a slow rate. And you should do it while continuing to whisk.

A busted mayo can be used as a warm sauce. It's kissing cousins with hollendaise sauce.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    My mayo never turns out if I use whole eggs. It has to be yolk only. And yes, add slowly.