Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marie's Journal page

Diktynna is offline Senior Member

Marie's Journal

Primal Fuel
    I'm getting serious.

After years of gestation and lactating, putting myself last, not exercising regularly, adrenal issues, a Celiacs diagnosis, and vegetariansim...I've completely effed up my body. I am 100 lbs too heavy, and finally had an epiphany when my father was diagnosed with diabetes in April of this year. "Is this my path? Is that want I want to look like/feel like/be like in 20 years?"

I dropped most carbs with ease. I had given up gluten a few years ago to help combat my IBS symptoms (which were finally explained by Celiacs disease.) Dairy too is an allergy problem for me and was given up years ago. I began eating meat again, and have (in the past three months) converted my Buddhist veg husband to a meat eater (by giving him books like "The Vegetarian Myth" and talking about inflammation and grains non-stop.)

So in April, I gave up sugar and all remaining carbs from my diet, found a source for grass-fed meats locally, am growing a ton of my own veggies, and ... as of last week, I've begun working out.

The good news is: I've dropped 20 lbs...that is, before I even started working out.
    The bad news: I have at least 80 to go, and I feel impatient for my body to begin looking good again. I really can't even tell that I've lost weight. My clothes do fit a little bit differently, but I still look like the same old me.

Mark's fitness book came out at the perfect time, and I started today incorporating the weight exercises he recommends. I'm pitifully weak in my arms.

So, for today:
    Breakfast - left over veggy and beef stew and a cup of coffee
    Lunch -- fasting
    Dinner -- will be roast chicken and broccoli, and a peach clafouti (from Mark's cookbook) for dessert to celebrate a friend's birthday (she is also palaeo dieting)

Workout:
    20 minutes of about 60% max heartrate cardio
    1 circuit of strength training machines - 10 reps each (for a warm up)
    10 modified pushups
    45 assisted squats (with a large ball behind me for support)
    45 seconds Level 1 plank for all three positions
    not one pull up...I'm just not strong enough to lift my body right now.
    8 "downward dog" shoulder presses (Level II in Mark's levels.)
    -- these really hurt my left shoulder, where I have injury from carrying huge babies around for so many years.

Well, that's my first entry. More tomorrow.

Push-up's hurt a day later when you are out of shape. In case you were wondering.

The peach clafouti from Mark's cookbook went over very, very well at this birthday party. Thank you Mark for this recipe. It is quickly becoming a staple in this house. I made it with raw milk cream and coconut milk. MMMMMmmmmm.

I was musing yesterday about how palaeo dieting is just one part of a life where I am incorporating ancestral pathways into my life. I am an archaeologist and have a profound respect for ancient lifestyles. That led, in part, to my belief in parenting with an anthropological bent: breastfeeding, baby wearing, co-sleeping...all of which have roots in how people have raised their children since, well, forever. This made sense to me as a mother and as a research scientist. Palaeo-parenting :-) The palaeo diet seed was planted during my doctoral research for my preliminary exams, one of which was on the palaeolithic to neolithic transition. The main focus was, "Why did people get so sick with the introduction of agriculture?" We can see it in their bones...people began dying younger, developing cancers, leukemia, obesity. Their joints broke down early with arthritis. The list goes on. My research concluded that it was the nutritional issues surrounding domestication of plants (reduced variety) and animals (reduced variety, grain feeding vs. grass fed) as well as urbanism and the various components that come with that -- sanitary issues in particular. But I really never applied this to my own life, believe it or not. How dense can you be? I was a vegetarian and didn't know a lot about nutrition. But then I had children and descended into the rabbit hole that is nutritional studies, and began applying my learning about inflammation, fats, Vit. D, probiotics, etc...to my own life and that of my children. It was a major breakthrough to realize that all I was learning pointed me back to a lifestyle of eating that resembled our palaeolithic ancestors, and of course that made perfect sense to me from a genetic point of view.

So here I am...

Brunch: coffee with heavy cream, 3 eggs, 4 slices of bacon
    Dinner: Ginger Chicken with Broccoli, slice of almond tart

Rest day for exercise. I am far too sore to work out!
    Last edited by Diktynna; 08-12-2010 at 08:15 PM.

We had guests in town this weekend so my routine was upset a bit.

Saturday I had my herbalism class and didn't have the opportunity to walk or work out.

Meals: coffee and left over ginger chicken for breakfast
    Lunch: carrots and two pieces of roasted chicken
    Dinner: Thai grated chicken, cabbage, carrot, cilantro salad with lime juice, shrimp tom yum soup

Sunday brunch: Fritatta with chard, bacon, and onion, 4 extra slices of bacon, because it was just that good.
    Dinner: Left over frittata, 1 piece of roast chicken, 2 all-beef/grass fed/nitrate free hot dogs

I did garden on Sunday, having gone to my friend's farm...he needed help harvesting okra, so I spent 1/2 hour squatting and cutting overgrown okra pods off his plants to keep the plants going. In the rain. It was really fun.

Today isn't over, but I've had more the left over frittata for breakfast, some home made/raw milk yogurt for lunch, and I've worked out at the gym (bike for 1/2 hour at 60% max cardio and strength work: 10 pushups, plank, 25 full squats. Shoulder presses will be at home.) Oh, and I mowed the lawn (an acre, push mower, on a hill.)

My two best friends told me yesterday that they too are going primal. It seems that people are catching on!
    Last edited by Diktynna; 08-16-2010 at 12:52 PM.

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    Just stopping by to say congrats and best of luck!

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you have an awesome start and a plan! I applaud your efforts!! I only wish I could find others that are into this lifestyle...(sigh)
    I felt the same way as you at first. With all the changes you are making you will see results in no time!

Put the scale away! Go with measurements instead! It'll show you your success' much better!

I wish you much determination and improved health!

Thanks to you both for your support. You know...re: the scale. I have not owned a scale since I lived in my parents house (I am 43), but right now I feel like the scale is an important motivator. I do, however, have to resist the temptation to step on it often. I think I may go to a once a week weighing so that I can see improvement. Since purchasing the scale a little over two weeks ago, I am down 9 lbs. THAT is a big motivator. It seems almost too good to be true :-)

Re: friends -- I am blessed with many many friends who are sharing this ride with me, although few are as committed to it as I am. If only my husband would...he just started eating meat after 10 years being a vegetarian, so that's a baby step. But I think once he begins to SEE my changes (he says he can't tell so far) and sees me getting stronger and fitter, perhaps he too will cut out the carb/sugar crap from his diet.

Oh, and one other minor victory...

My 4 (almost 5) year old says to her daddy at dinner: "I just want the chicken leg and some broccoli daddy, but no rice. The carbs aren't grow food."

!!!

LOVE it!

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    He may not see them because he sees you everyday. Others will probably notice before he does! Vegetarian to meat eater is a big step
    Congrats on the 9 lbs!

Today:
    Breakfast - a nice big cup of Joe.
    Lunch - sliced tomato and cucumbers
    Dinner: Jumbalaya (mmmmm), perhaps some dark chocolate for dessert

Oh, I had 1/2 a banana at Starbucks. I threw the other half out because it was too sweet for me. My taste buds are changing.

No workout today, unless you count schlepping kids to camp, swimming lessons, doctor's appointments, haircuts and playdates....

Breakfast: 1 cup of raw yogurt
    Lunch: Greek salad, ingredients picked 10 minutes beforehand
    Dinner: Left over Jumbalaya with roasted okra and andouille sausage

Workout: 1/2 hour bike, 1 full cycle of weight machines

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast