Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marie's Journal page 3

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Diktynna View Post
    I'm getting serious.

After years of gestation and lactating, putting myself last, not exercising regularly, adrenal issues, a Celiacs diagnosis, and vegetariansim...I've completely effed up my body.
    Ditto. All of it

And I homeschooled for three years?

What are you doing for Vitamin D?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Diktynna is offline Senior Member
    Hi Ciliakat,
    I am supplementing 5,000 IUs a day for me and about 2,000/day (probably more like 4 or 5 x/week) for my kids (8 and 4). I last tested (about 3 months ago) at 29. I know it needs to be higher, and have been considering a two week course of 50,000 IU to boost it. I know a nutritionist/herbalist who suggests this and has used it successfully to boost her patients into the 50 range. What do you think of that?

I try, of course, to get full sun exposure every day, but here in PA, after October, it isn't possible to get the D you need.
    Down almost 40 lbs. 70 to go.

Ate WAY to much bacon for breakfast, and nothing else, but it kept me full for the entire day. Now, dinner, is left over chicken/coconut soup and a medium size salad.

I walked for a little over a mile at kid pace...(stop, start, stop...look at worms, start)... with a friend. I shared my snacks with her, only to find out that the broccoli/cauliflower I brought for my kids gave her hives because she is allergic to sesame oil. We rushed back to the car as she was getting hives all over her face. Dramatic.

My arms still ache badly from the wood stacking, so no weight or pushups. Tomorrow. It will be better tomorrow.

Boy, I'm not doing a good job of keeping current on this journal. I seem to have plateau-ed a bit in the weight department, even though I've not changed anything food-wise. I still have a lot of wood to stack, so that is keeping me out of the gym. So much prep work for the fall, garden and home wise. Also, I am beginning my class again next week, and starting two new part-time jobs: The College Journal (an on-line creative magazine, in the start up phase) and a Time Bank for my little town.

I'm feeling pretty good these days and noticing changes in my body that make me very happy. I've been palaeo for about four months now (end of May) and my rosecea has almost completely cleared up. I used to have a terrible time with rashes all over my body, even after going gluten free, and they seem to be a thing of the past. My scalp was itchy and would peel constantly, and that too is gone. I've always heard that your skin is truly representative of the health of the digestive track, especially the small/large intestines. Celiac suffers often suffer from weird, recurring rashes and issues with acne and rosecea, which is an auto-immune issue. I feel like my skin is becoming a marker for my improving health. Figuring out the wheat problem four years ago made a big difference, but going palaeo has done more in four months than any other single thing I have ever done to help my skin and my body.

On other notes:
    I have a HUGE leg of lamb in the refrigerator and am trying to figure out how to cook it: LOL.

I am trying to ingest more coconut milk/oil in my diet. Also, my herbalism class continues to inspire me with ideas for making myself and my family more healthy. I wonder how herbs and primal living intersect, because they surely do.

Mmmmm. Leg of lamb, marinated for 24 hours in Mediterranean spices then grilled slowly over cedar planks. Mmmmmm.... (and enough food to feed my family for several days, I must say.)

That was my dinner... we didn't eat until 9:30, because the lamb took so long, but it gave me an opportunity to discuss palaeo diets with a friend of ours who is a vegetarian. I think he is going to read "Catching Fire" (because he was under the illusion that our digestive system, jaws and teeth are primarily made for eating veggies. WHA?) and my husband was chatting him up about "The Vegetarian Myth"...the book that pushed my husband over the edge back into the land of meat eating.

My work today was gardening and harvesting, processing veggies and herbs. I'm going to have a nice medicinal collection going for the winter. My herbs are the only thing really happy in my not-sunny-enough garden. That and my eggplant. (and the okra)

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    What kind of herbs do you grow??
    Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
    Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
    Ultimate Goal: 125/18

Let's see: catnip, lemon verbina, lemon balm, tansy, echinecea, calendula, borage, bee balm, sage, oregano, thyme, horehound, black and blue cohosh, mint, meadowsweet, motherwort, elderberry, boneset, feverfew, yarrow... I think that's it. The calendula did not do well, but the rest are happy.

I'm taking a year long herbalism course from http://www.farmatcoventry.com/fc_about_farm.htm

Yesterday's totals (I've started tracking on FitDay, to help me keep myself accountable, since I've hit a plateau.)

Total calories: 1534
    69% from fat (121.3)
    11% from carbs (42)
    21% from protein (78.4)

Today's totals:

total calories: 1733
    Carbs 45.3 g (10%)
    Protein 123.6 (29%)
    Fat 118.5 (61%)

I felt a little hungry today, but I think that's because I didn't have a coffee in the afternoon, which usually helps me feel less hungry.

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    Holy cow! You have a herb farm! I only grow: echinacea, calendula, borage, bee balm, sage, lavender, licorice hyssop and usually oregano. Oregano didn't make it this year, but will do more next year. I hear ya about the plateau. It happens to me about three weeks. It bugs me because I NEVER do anything the same, so it's not routine in my workouts. I think we both just have to find out 'sweet spots'.
    Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
    Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
    Ultimate Goal: 125/18

PrimalCon New York
    I WANT to have an herb farm :-) But my 3/4 of an acre is far too shady. Sad. I keep wishing for the demise of the trees. At least two of them. I am learning how to use them all, slowly but surely.

So I appear to have broken through the plateau. I've lost 2 lbs in two days now. Yeah! And I'm tracking my diet

Today, I started on Cron-o-meter because it records 3:6 ratios..

This is what I've done today:

Total calories: 1077 (I think I'm going to have some dark chocolate and celebrate that fact!)
    Protein 88g (33%)
    Carbs: 56 g (20%)
    Fats: 57 g (47%)

Omega 3: 3.0 g
    Omega 6 8.4 g

That's a 2.8/1 ratio!

I love this diet! Truly, I ate salmon and salads with caesar dressing and bison and even a couple of baked potato wedges (my carbs would be substantially lower without those!) So much good food, and so few calories!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast