Thread: Self Motivation and the last 20% page

PrimalEagle is offline Senior Member

Self Motivation and the last 20%

Primal Fuel
    I seem to have a recurring issue in my life wherein I embark on a new project, go at it with 100% intensity and get great results, only to find I lose steam once I am around 80% completed. Getting myself to finish the last 20% of anything (whether it be a work project, a cleaning project, or losing weight) is like pulling teeth. I just can't seem to stay self-motivated to push through to the end.

I am having the same problem with PB. I lost about 20 of the 30 or so pounds I wanted to lose in the first five weeks or so after starting it in April. I was trying to lose the 30 or so pounds I had gained in the last year while healing from an injury, with my November wedding being motivation. The weight came off so quickly and with relative ease -- my only real cheats were dark chocolate and some dairy, I started walking 3-4 times a week instead of running and I cut down my kickboxing workouts to avoid chronic chardio. I felt good and I looked pretty good -- my wedding dress fit well, but I still wanted to lose that last 10 to make sure I was really killing it on my special day.

I was doing just fine on the program until I had to go out of town for a weekend in a rural part of Arizona with my fiance's family and had no options when it came to food. I came back weighing 6 lbs more, but found it only took 4-5 days on PB for that to drop back off. BAD THING TO LEARN. From there on out, I would spend a week or two eating whatever I wanted and then using PB to drop it back off and then repeat the cycle (I am a person who loves food and whose carb/sugar cravings never went away, even after 5 weeks on the program). So, here I am now. I am 3-4 lbs up from my lowest PB weight, it is now less than two months before my wedding, and I CANNOT COMMIT TO THE PROGRAM. The most I seem to go is four days without a carb meltdown. I just cannot seem to attack my last 10 lbs with the same intensity that I had when I started this program. Part of it is b/c I know I look "ok" right now, but I also know that at this weight my dress will be tight and I will be less comfortable and disappointed in myself if I give up now.

Anyone else have problems self-motivating for the last 20% of their weight loss? Any tips for how to get past it? I know the real answer is likely just to "man up", but even as I type this I am dreaming of a donut rather than the pork chops and grilled broccoli and olive oil I made for today.

Just hoping to find some support and wise words.
    "If you won't be better tomorrow than you are today, what do you need tomorrow for?"

Jenn is offline Senior Member
    I am like that as well. My weight is fine but I need to lose some serious fat on my thighs and butt. One day I am completely motivated, then when temptation strikes I give in and ask myself if it's worth it to really say goodbye to the foods I love. I look fine but it kills me that I'm not strong enough to try to look the best I possibly can! Carb meltdowns are a vicious cycle for me too! No advice but I feel your pain. I guess just try not to be so hard on yourself but I am my own worst enemy.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    Do carbs affect how you FEEL? beyond the craving I mean. When I stopped them I noticed very quickly a difference - no more blood sugar crashes - that made it worthwhile to avoid those foods. When I do eat them, I feel it pretty quickly. That helps me remember why I'm not eating them, way more effective than the last 5-10lbs.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    advice? I think to understand the challenge in meeting your goal comes more from inner strength, perseverance and integrity than it does from the actual burden of losing 10 lbs. The losing part is the simple, easy part. The hard part is overcoming the sluggish, lazy, apathetic voice inside of you that already has a ring on her finger.

I get motivated when I am angry - if I were you I'd be pretty angry at this bitch trying to make my wedding dress look tight and I'd force her exercise harder, eat better and fall into line with *me*. She ain't the boss of you - you are the boss of her.

beach.bum is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalEagle View Post
    I came back weighing 6 lbs more, but found it only took 4-5 days on PB for that to drop back off. BAD THING TO LEARN. From there on out, I would spend a week or two eating whatever I wanted and then using PB to drop it back off and then repeat the cycle...
    Wow. I could have DEFINITELY written this. I am the exact same way, and I hate it. What I am attempting now is to just refuse to allow myself the sugar on the weekends (when I always get the "oh, it'll be okay, you can lose the weight you gain this weekend by next Friday" thought). I have been making a VERY conscious effort to just say no to myself and not let that thought enter my head. I think that the power comes from KNOWING you're having that thought; then you're able to face the demon and try to defeat it. It hasn't been easy, but the awareness has helped me.

And I absolutely believe that if I can go one month without giving in, it'll all be downhill from there. Not saying it'll be perfect, but I think that habit will be seriously on its way out if I can push through four consecutive weekends.

peril is offline Senior Member
    You're treating PB like a weight losss programme. It isn't. Its a way of living. Its about being healthy. You must believe that what you are doing now is unhealthy, regardless of its affect on your weight. Only when you believe that it is unhealthy and that matters will you find it easy
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

beach.bum is offline Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    You're treating PB like a weight losss programme. It isn't. Its a way of living. Its about being healthy. You must believe that what you are doing now is unhealthy, regardless of its affect on your weight. Only when you believe that it is unhealthy and that matters will you find it easy
    You are exactly right!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If you keep making an honest effort to stay on track, keep reading articles on PB-style nutrition, keep your eye on food labels, keep an image of your ideal self in your mind, eventually it will click. Eventually you will lose the desire to binge. Eventually the cravings for sweets will go away and cravings for fresh greens and such will replace them. It may take 7 days or it may take 7 years. It's taken me 7 years, but 4 of those were before I knew an iota about PB or Paleo. Keep your mind pointed in one direction, but don't allow yourself to get stressed about anything too much. I think keeping your ideal self in mind is one of the most important things to do.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!